Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 4th July 2011, 10:58 AM

Have you thought about comparing the Pre-post newspaper or online priced Fav with the Betfair price movement.

I have seen days where the blowers fall over all day.

Then one will see where half get up to win all day.

So a cut off point is important, if lay betting, say 5 outs on the day , then stop betting for the day.
Old 4th July 2011, 06:30 PM

Thanks Bhagwan - that is a thought. It looks as though it does need one extra element to moderate things. However because I am looking at every horse in every race, I would need to be able to access that element online.

If I could access the pre-post online it would be interesting to see how it fits in to the mix.

But early days and I did change my mind and logged the data again today.

I have decided to log to a week and then if a trend emerges in that data, test that trend for the remainder of the month.

Already it looks as if it would be a bumpy road so I agree that a stop loss would be needed.
Old 4th July 2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4legs
I am going to have a good look at the data as I may have to set some realistic parameters and then start logging again as I am getting horses drifting and firming in the range -$330 - + $430. These may or may not be distorting the figures - I will have to check.

I think I can say however that very little movements occur in the first 2 favourites. See below. These figures are based on the BF min Bet of $5.00 and the data covers 3 days (1/2/3 July) with a factor of .50 to indicate drift or firm.

$0.50 FirmDrift
1st Favs:218
1st Wins:53
1st Profit:-$31.40 $ 20.90
Strike Rate:24%38%

2nd Favs:3823
2nd Wins:23
2nd Profit:-$127.45 -$22.60
Strike Rate:5%13%
Hi 4legs,

With your results can you tell me when you took the snapshots, was it 25 seconds and 2 seconds as you said in an earlier post? Also is the $0.50 factor a minimum so all the above results are based on these horses firming or drifting a minimum of $0.50 during the time the snapshots were taken?

Cheers,

Mat.
Old 4th July 2011, 08:06 PM

Hi Mat;

On the initial 20/2 there was no movement in the price by .50, so the results for the 3 days posted were snapshots at the 120 sec and the 10 secs mark.

I log all the results and in a secondary move I looked at all movement of .50 cents (either way) from the 120 seconds price.

I am continuing to log and when time permits I will analyse more; however I feel the analysis may need to be on varying movement prices depending on the price as I did have prices moving in the range -$330 - + $430.

I am approaching it all with an open mind and I do not want to filter it out of existence, but I have to decide how to handle these high swings - as my analysis may show these are the ones to follow.

Trust this assists ... Fred
Old 4th July 2011, 09:06 PM

Thanks Fred, very helpful.
Old 5th July 2011, 08:33 PM

I understand that I am probably the most recent member of this community and also the most inexperienced in the world of the punt, however I make the following comment based on my experience with what is the smallest data base in the world of the punt ... so lots of conditions attached - and I am sure one that everyone on the forum is aware of the statement I am about to make!

So .. the statement ...

For the uninitiated, one would have to exercise extreme care in looking at past data to predict a future outcome, as it would be too easy to impose conditions which would give a false hope.

An extreme example: On looking at my database (I know - the smallest in the world of punt) I could say the 7th ranked horse in races of 13 starters with a barrier less than 7 and with a drift of more than $2.0 would give a return of over 300% (fact from data base).

However my logical mind tells me that in reality the chances of that circumstance repeating would be so close to 0% it is a nonsense to even suggest it.

So my hypothesis would be that the more conditions one imposes the less chance of success it has!

Anyway a very, very satisfying exercise and another step forward in my learning process.

And once again a very sincere thanks to all those who offered their advise and support - it was very much appreciated.

Fred
Old 5th July 2011, 08:42 PM
Suspended

Its all about sample size.
You really need at least 100 selections before any ideas can be formed.
Preferably 1000.
Those that bother making note of a trend after a days racing with perhaps 15 races are just washing their hands with a cake of mud.
Old 5th July 2011, 08:54 PM

Hi Moeee - thanks for your comments.

I have over 200 races (which I would consider a minimum), but due to my inexperience I am really not sure what I am looking for and consequently I am going down these silly roads.

But I will continue to collect the data to a 1000 records as you suggest and at some time in the future my experience may be adequate to properly analyse the data I have.

Last edited by 4legs : 5th July 2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 5th July 2011, 09:24 PM
Suspended

There is a spreadsheet floating around , may even be on this website posted by Woof43.
What you do is you chuck in the number of races , the number of winners , the returns of the winners , and stuff like that , and it tells you what percentage chance it is that your results are due to something significant , or whether it was just plain coincidence or luck.
Old 5th July 2011, 10:18 PM

Another method of analysis is to have 3 sample batches of 150 races.

If one sample shows a profit & the others more or less break even , it may indicate that it has potential.

Therefore more testing of batches of 150 each.

If a majority of further batch testing shows a profit , it usually is telling us something.
e.g. 5 winning batches out of 8 batches ect.

It makes the whole analysis game a little clearer to look at rather than one great big batch of 1000 races in one big clump.