Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 14th November 2004, 04:40 PM
puntz

Debug,
Yes,but...

1.The prices can come from any source.
There is a very different "quality" of prices coming from the internet than coming from direct data feed,(paid service).

By "quality" I mean the delay,the amount of information..(and i may as well follow the rules or I'll get a deleted post) but I cannot name the companies that supply data thru decoders.
Once that data is in the mainframe, then anything else can be plugged into that mainframe and utilize the data on common ground.

The plugin does not have to know where the data came from, the mainframe fixes that into a common file, so all chosen components can read the data if need be.
For simplicity, lets say a hedge calculator with some "bells and whistles".
I don't realy want to create hedge calc., I would rather buy one, plug that in the mainframe, and use the prefered prices from the mainframe, and that hedge calc would then show me the amount of units to bet with.

But we want more.

Once we know what units to bet with, the bet needs to be sent.

Whoever can make the better module to connect the unit amount to a bet sender.

Some bet-senders are supplied by the TAB.
But code needs to be obtained to connect the the unit amounts from the calculations made by the hedge. Code is required to activate the module that sends the bet.

One can then create a complete module that does it all, provided it can plug in to the mainframe.
Piece by piece from many programming developments, they all are compatible to a TPH.(mainframe)

If one does not like the module(hedge calc,) or wants to try something else, simply unplug the purchased module and try another.

2. The "spreadsheet" does not have to be a spreadsheet,but one can use a spreadsheet if they want to.
Plug in a compiler and the common code can be compiled to "do stuff". Where the spreadsheet ends, code takes over.

The option is "when".
Then a plug-in for TPH or compile a code possibly a "timer" or somthing, will send data to the spreadsheet at whatever intervals one may require.
I don't have all the answews,but
no one has yet to say it can't be done.
These ideas come from the tedious repetetive tasks I know from some expirience and why most systems fail.
It's about eliminating repetitive tasks done by those wanting efficiancy while betting.
I know there might be some who are probably thinking to make their own mainframe.
You will fail,cos who is going to pay for the time it takes?
GUI is the option I think

[ This Message was edited by: puntz on 2004-11-14 16:47 ]
Old 15th November 2004, 07:57 AM
puntz

I guess the next step is to go thru these ideas posted and correct the terminology and condense it to something that paint a clearer picture of the concept.
What's GUI ? I thort it waz the licence for the open source software thing.
When I looked it up, it meant "graphical user interface"
OK,
Does it work ?
Then I learnt what I am realy trying to say is, the TPH is actualy a "mainframe"
OK,that sounds like the box the computer pieces bolt on to.
So if you programmers see what's here, it would be appreciated to correct the terminologies and perhaps this concept could have a better chance.
Old 15th November 2004, 11:06 PM

In broad terms Gui just means a windows type interface where you point (with a mouse) at things, copy and paste, move stuff around, etc. As opposed to character based which is what older Dos type programs were. You entered in your numbers or whatever and the program showed the answer on the next line down.
I had a quick look using - "open source" database - on Google and it showed some languages which might be suitable to program what you are proposing. MYSQL is pretty popular I believe but I'm not familiar with it so I really don't know if it has all the capabilities (web access etc). I'd be surprised if it didn't.
The basic idea of an object oriented approach with a central module which has databases to store races, prices, etc and other add on modules which access and download data from tab sights, send bets, transfer data to excel or whatever seems pretty sound and very do-able to me.
Unfortunately, my area of expertise is not with object oriented programming. I work with the old fasioned character approach still and haven't had much to do with the sort of languages which we need here.
I'd say anyone with the right area of expertise could make the central module from what's been said on this thread.

KV
Old 16th November 2004, 08:23 AM
puntz

http://www.brainyencyclopedia.com/e...foundation.html

"Never give up"..

who said that ?
W.Ch ..
Old 20th November 2004, 09:13 AM
puntz

Shy,
I have contacted RedHat,
all we can do now is wait, and hope...
Old 20th November 2004, 11:28 AM

Puntz i know what you are after and yes it would be nice....and if i had the time i would try somthing with Visual Basic but i really feel that excel can do all that you want if you find the right place to get the prices and can format it for the automatic uploads
Old 20th November 2004, 12:03 PM
puntz

Shaun,
I have already got a model of what shy is asking/dreaming.
But I cannot and will not divulge what it exactly is due to legal contracts,verbal agreements and "gentlemans honour".
That's the way it is.
End of story.
===================

BUT, I can at least assist towards a similar module in principle,provided it's a free basic mainframe to accept plug-in's and private/public/other modules,including mine.
win/win for all.

The ONLY option I see, is to go down this path.
Your excell help would be appreciated to, it is where I started this "walk" thru hell and back.
And, where excell was no longer able to performn certain functions for a proper proffesional system, code and programming took over. And STILL data is able to be transfered back to excel.( If i knew how to write this code that is.)

Your assistance would be of much help however, becuase to "prove sums", it must be proven in excel first. Then if need be, programmed/coded.
Otherwise programmers will not waste their time with "what if this works" when it comes to race programmes, I think.

[ This Message was edited by: puntz on 2004-11-20 12:40 ]
Old 20th November 2004, 01:07 PM

Sounds very exciting Puntz :smile:

I wonder if it might be prudent to walk backwards with this objective. There is a myriad of software/Excel ability to handle selection, but the stumbling block (at least for me) is the ability to place a bet automatically with a bookie site, conditional to market price (not their prices). The crux of the matter will come down to these sites allowing bet automation to take place. The fact that they don't offer this themselves is possibly an indicator of how they feel about it. Also, are there any legal/tax implications of automated betting? The other question is if anyone would be prepared to make available to others a module that may be blamed for real-time losses.

Betfair has been mentioned, but my difficulty is that my final selections are based on being under a certain win price close to the jump... and then getting the best possible place div. For my style of betting (fairly boring to most of you I'm sure!) - I find the final market one of the strongest indicators of result. Then getting value for the place makes an enormous difference to my profit.

I will be eager to hear of any progress Puntz.
Old 20th November 2004, 01:47 PM
puntz

shy,
First things first, who/what recvieves the bets is way down the track.
But to get it going, at least the programming trials can be done with what is currently available. There is usualy alot of trial and error during development.
But if there is a online bookie that wants to provide auto-bet software made available to, I am sure they could have a "plugger" to the TPH in future,if this concept has a future that is.

Old 20th November 2004, 03:36 PM
puntz

shy,
any progress will come from this post if there is a demand from the punters.
My advice for now at this stage is to design what you would like to have a program do,leading to the bet send. (the logic according to shy)
Then seperate what is "public" and what is "private".
Bold ideas can be "public".
Up to you what you define as "private".

[ This Message was edited by: puntz on 2004-11-22 09:29 ]