Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 10th January 2012, 11:44 PM

Hi Ocho
Yes, UK greys are a different scenario all together. 6 RUNNERS and I've read all boxes even out for the win. But AUS is a squeeze in the middle.

p.s- Keep up the trading as you've found your gift!
Old 10th January 2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rails run
To try to give an example of keeping things simple, does anyone share the belief the 6 box is automatically disadvantaged in a dog race for whatever reasons? There's a pure gut observation shared by most and it's surprisingly not hammered out yet by punters.

No it's not automatically disadvantaged.
Depends on the track and distance, but most importantly the racing style of the other runners versus the runner in question.

But the stats may show different because they incorporate those not disadvantaged and those disadvantaged.

It's important to take note of how many races were not disadvantaged and the strike rate, versus those disadvantage and the strike rate.

It's the same with most scenarios, only punters are not good at splitting data in general, only the pros.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/05/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 11th January 2012, 12:08 AM

Hi Chrome
I agree the market will factor most things into the odds. I just love laying 6 at odds below $6 and watching it get smacked frequently in the first 50 metres.
By the way, your work on IAS ratings is a gem and showing 9.4% POT. Thnx
Old 11th January 2012, 12:09 AM

Looking at 90 dog races today:

box 6 won 8 of them or 8.89%
box 5 won 15 of them or 16.67%
box 4 won 6 of them or 6.67%

Illustrates box 5 is not twice as good as boxes 4 and 6, no way.
Listen to the audio or watch the video and it's not hard to see that it's not the box, it's the makeup of the field.
That's why champion dogs can start in any box and win, average dogs need a good draw and luck.
Poor dogs, doesn't matter what box, they need pure luck.
Old 11th January 2012, 12:16 AM

I'll add I lay 6 between $3-$6 to avoid the really good one's you're referring too. Out of the measly 8 winners today how many fell within this price range?
Old 11th January 2012, 12:25 AM

Only one of them was between $3.00 and $6.00 so good going, the rest were two odds on dogs and the rest were outsiders.
Old 11th January 2012, 12:35 AM

Thanks Chrome. Would have been another good day if BF was up. Under-thought but has caveman logic.
Old 11th January 2012, 02:56 PM

The backfitters out there should ask themselves the question, how can Joe Public get it right time in time out in there probs / actual results, yet when they run their back fitted systems, they fall into a hole at some later stage and they have wild fluctuations/variations.

My response was a method in how to have very little variation thru the data spaces, plain and simple.
Case closed.

Re Box 6

I can post some stats re the #6 box by justing adding one more variable you can identify plenty of dogs to lay.
As I keep a national database for greyhound racing i can provide an example.

One wouldn't use a blanket statement and say #6 is the worst box at Cranbourne 520m
These are the avg finish times and the avg split times fro the above distance.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
31.168 31.075 31.115 31.134 31.107 30.938 31.025 31.109

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
5.624 5.620 5.626 5.641 5.604 5.588 5.607 5.625

One would ask why? This is where the physical artifact of the track takes over.
Old 11th January 2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof43
Exactly..

All your first steps are, is to categorize the Fav and how strong or the gap over the 2nd fav. and to find correlations in the odds to finished odds nothing more or nothing less.

You will be testing as many variables (in formguides or tipsheets) as possible to find ones with a correlation and know which ones don't.

I didn't tell you, but once you find a variable or combination, you would then breakdown this down into subsets of races based on the fav odds <3.00 etc.

Of course there is holes in what I have been explaining, the above approach is to provide very good first order approximation to those precious crowd odds.

Just with the above information I'm able to provide trifecta combinations that provide positive expectations for each race catergory.

Once you have completed the above your then ready to move onto actually using your own handicapping in "cluster analysis".

Woof,

I think Im starting to understand. Let me paraphrase this to check I have this right.

The first thing I do is find variables which give me an understnading of the crowd odds. Once I find variables (such as barrier) which give an approximation of the crwod odds based on that variable I think start to categorise the actual results of any type of category. This could be last start winners, favs under $3 , top rated horse by tatts, top tipster selection, etc. It might even be more specific categories such as track/barrier combinations.

Once I have these two things I plot them on a scatter plot. By doing this with two different colour sets (say red and blue) I will visually be able to see clusters of where certain categories do deviate from the expected odd distribution.

Based on this clustering I should be able to find profitable situations that long term will be profitable ?

Is this right ?

If it is this still feels like backfitting but I guess your generalising the backfitted rules rather then being specific.

Of course I might have taken this the wrong way completely. Can you tell me if I am on the right path or if I have gone walking off on my own path again.
Old 11th January 2012, 10:02 PM

The variables you will be trying to find are ones that are "crowd behaviour" variables not handicapping variables such as Favs under $3.00 etc. don't think like a computer handicapper, this is where people go wrong they try and do analysis by what works with my handicapping, instead you need to be finding races statistically alike. You need to categorize by underlying statistically similarities You then have knowledge in how to apply effective handicapping based on these categorizes.