Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Sports and Gambling
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 19th September 2005, 05:35 PM

Giants should beat NO pretty easily and I think washington are struggling way ot much on offense so take the cowboys there.
Old 19th September 2005, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad
Just stole it from ya Sportz, sorry and thanks. Hope to follow it in the NFL, went well this weekend.

That's okay.

Not sure how it will go on NFL. Even though the home-dog system is a very basic plan, I still like to know a fair bit about the teams to decide how I'm going to bet. And I'm the first to admit my knowledge of NFL is nowhere near as good as AFL, NRL, S12 etc.
Old 19th September 2005, 06:19 PM

Thanks Sportz,
The best systems are the simplest. I will use it wisely!
Just looking at some simple stats, teams travelling often struggle. Therefore unless a complete mis-match (top vs bottom or team in red hot form) i reckon the home-dog system must be as good as any other. Only exception this weekend were the Steelers who are looking a very good side this year and at the moment are playing like it.

Hi Andrew,
Not too sure about Saints - Giants.
Might have a little dabble on the Giants purely because they are playing at home.
Old 20th September 2005, 11:13 AM
Banned

The home dog system is as strong as any, but like Sportz said, only after looking at form. The Home Dog on Monday NIght Football is one of the strongest trends in the NFL (at least it used to be, now everyone is on it and that is probably reflected in the value). Washington on the road for me tonight. Another "trend" I like to play against is when teams honor a former star player or coach at halftime (like tonight for Cowboys-Troy Aikman and Tony Dorsett). You would think it would be just the opposite, but it's not.
Old 20th September 2005, 12:03 PM

Saratoga,

What do you think of the varying displays of the top ranked teams at the weekend, the Patriots, Carolina, Steelers, Colts etc.

Problem with form based systems this early in the season is that their is very little to go on. Therefore sticking with the home teams in a selective manner is as good as any method i know.

Last edited by mad : 20th September 2005 at 12:05 PM.
Old 20th September 2005, 12:57 PM

Watching Washington and Cowboys at moment.

Unless Washington can provide some protection for their QB they gonna be in big trouble this year.

The honouring of stars is a strange one. I suppose it can sometimes distract the players, however in tonights game doesn't look to be a problem so far, the Cowboys looking to good for Washington.

Last edited by mad : 20th September 2005 at 01:06 PM.
Old 20th September 2005, 03:29 PM

Good calls Andrew and Saratoga.

Boy that was a close one, didn't see Washington winning in 1st half.
Old 20th September 2005, 03:37 PM

Phew, If I ever say that I'm unlucky remind me of that Monday game. I was on the Redskins with 6 start and I agree with you Mad it was looking hopeless. Washington played 58 offensive plays of nothing and 2 good ones. Miracles happen. The Dallas supporters giving 5.5 can certainly call it a very bad beat.

Good picking MAD. I'll look up last year and see how home dogs prevailed.

That is an interestng theory SS. Not much good to us as there is very little info for us to go on. Keep us informed please.

Went 2-2 on my picks here and now 3-3. The service went 5-4 so a small miraculous profit for the weekend. Was down 1-4 after losing on Miami, Detroit, Atlanta and Atlanta/Sea overs and winning on Carolina. Came back from the dead when GB and Clev had their last minute shootout to get the over, and had NY Giants and the under and the Washington miracle. Very fortunate.

Notes on games excluding today.

Carolina -NE. New england had only 39 yards rushing and now only 112 in 2 games. They will be in trouble without the running game.

Detroit - Chicago 5 turnovers and lots of panic for Detroit. Chicago numbers not as impressive as the score. Don't get carried away with the Bears form.

Minnesota - Cinci. Min had 7 turnovers (t/o). Now 12 for year. Mike Tice to be first coach fired is my pick. Cinci had 504 yards total offense. Averaging 6.3 yards per play in first 2 games which is fantastic for any team but amazing for the Bungles.

Houston - Pitt. Pittsburgh sacked the Houston qb 8 times. Now the Houston QB has been sacked 13 times. No front line protection is looking bad for them. Next week we can judge how good the Steelers are as they are up against NE

Balt - Tenn Baltimore only had 14 yds rushing.

SF - Phil. SF looks very bad as they have only rushed for 92 yards in 2 games and allowed an average of 380 passing. The Eagles have only allowed an average of 101 passing in their 2.

Jax - Indy Indy sacked Jacksonville qb 6 times. The Jax and the under may be the way to go this year. I think they are a good team but remember they were a very lucky side last year.

Buffalo - TB . The bucs look pretty good defensivly in allowing my Bills only 47 yards rushing and 73 yards total in 2 games.

Stl - Ari - Both teams looked bad on T.V. STL qb now sacked 12 times in 2 games. They must shore that up to complete to the star receivers. Arizona has no good plays in red zone and Kurt can't scramble any more.

ATL - SEA Michael Vick isn't living up to his billing completing an average of 11.5 passes for 113 yards. Running the qb all year only leads to an injury. Seattle putting up big offensive numbers so far.

KC - Oak . KC is way under the totals and seem to like running a lot. If the totals stay high they may be a good bet on the under for another game or two.

Clev - GB Brett is making too many errors and GB are going nowhere. Time to change qb's but they won't. Bet against GB if giving anybody more than 3. Clevland has a very bad pass defensive giving up 608 yards in first 2 games.

Good punting and hope we are all this lucky every week.
Old 20th September 2005, 10:36 PM
Banned

Mad, I gotta agree about the early season form being hard to figure, but that's when you can jump on some value if you form the right opinions about teams. It's more a "trust your gut" thing than anything, but if you are right, you can ride out some nice wins.

The "honoring stars... system" is tough to follow as it is usually not announced nationally what the team's intentions are, but it usually plays out for the visitor. If you can get on-line to a team's website and do some research, maybe you can find out what they are doing. Sometimes it is very applicable and sometimes not. it is very much an intangible but the closer the relation of the honoree to the players on the field, the better for the other team. the home team is distracted and can start to "put things in perspective" if the ceremony regards a sick or deceased player or other such bad things. I don't have any stats on this, but I've read about this system in a lot of publications. I have a book describing it. I'll try to dig it up.

Karla, good job on all those observations. it really sums up alot of teams in a nutshell.
Old 20th September 2005, 10:40 PM
Banned

Washington is lucky, eh!!!!!! Mad, NE is showing they are human, Pitt + Carolina are looking good. Philly looks really tough. SF is brutal and could be a constant play against, but I can't give that many poinits. Oak may be in good form now, so keep an eye out. I would definitely play against NE for the next few road games, as they are in tough