Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Price Predictor Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 28th April 2004, 10:50 PM

Exel Gurus please help.
I wish to give a spreadheet cell, containing numbers 1 to 24 (finishing positions of horse) a rating figure, say cell C2. 1st 10 - 2nd 6- 3rd 2 >3- 0
So far I have worked out that =IF(C2=1,10)
=IF(C2=2,6) similar for 3rd. and =IF(C2>3,0)
What formula should I use to do all in one hit.(Result to another cell.) I hope this is clear enough and someone can give me a reply please.

Cheers
Enjay
:???: :???:

[ This Message was edited by: enjay on 2004-04-28 22:52 ]
Old 29th April 2004, 12:49 AM

Quote:
On 2004-04-28 22:50, enjay wrote:
Exel Gurus please help.
I wish to give a spreadheet cell, containing numbers 1 to 24 (finishing positions of horse) a rating figure, say cell C2. 1st 10 - 2nd 6- 3rd 2 >3- 0
So far I have worked out that =IF(C2=1,10)
=IF(C2=2,6) similar for 3rd. and =IF(C2>3,0)
What formula should I use to do all in one hit.(Result to another cell.) I hope this is clear enough and someone can give me a reply please.

Cheers
Enjay
:???: :???:

It's a nested statement enjay.
Have a look on excel help for nested statements, but in the meantime :wink:

=IF(C2>3,0,IF(C2=3,2,IF(C2=2,6,IF(C2=1,10,0))))

Hope this helps

Old 29th April 2004, 08:08 PM

Thank you CP for your reply to my problem.
Much appreciated, and I have it up and running.
Thanks again.

Enjay
:grin: :grin: :grin:
Old 29th April 2004, 08:14 PM

Enjay,
CP's formula is fine for your specific question but I would recommend for also try the VLOOKUP function.
Basically this involves setting up 2 columns on your spreadsheet, the first listing the possible values (e.g. finish position) and the second containing the result you want from each value (e.g. 10,6,3,0 etc).
In your target cell you put the VLOOKUP function in which you nominate the cell where the (say) finish position is, the range where the 2 columns you have created are, and finally whether you want the formula to return the value from the first or second column on your list(normally this would be 2 i.e. the value 10,6 etc).
The Formula Wizard in Excel will guide you through the process.
I reckon this formula is possibly the single most useful function in all of Excel.

[ This Message was edited by: zorro on 2004-04-29 20:16 ]
Old 29th April 2004, 09:52 PM

[ This Message was edited by: lomaca on 2004-04-30 08:53 ]
Old 30th April 2004, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the tips. Lomaca, I briefly read your post last night, but it has gone this morning.
I am inerested in what I think you stated and would like an opinion as to the best way
to approach the programming.

Cheers.
Enjay
Old 2nd May 2004, 04:49 PM

I am inerested in what I think you stated and would like an opinion as to the best way
to approach the programming.

Cheers.
Enjay

Hi Enjay! must have posted something new and accidently deleted previous post.
I simply meant that if you are seriously considering doing your own research or even your own rating, then some database programming is the way to go. After all if my memory serves me right Neale Yardly was and maybe still is writing his PPP in Clipper, one of the oldest and more reliable databases. Do not misunderstand me, Excel is great for what it was designed for but it still is a flatsheet database, very complicated if not impossible to link tables from different databases and if you look in your PPP files you will find different tables with a .dbf extension, and for all of this to work they must be linked together. I am not an Excel expert, can use it if I need to but prefer not to. Which database you choose is up to you, I mentioned the Visual Basic programming language because it will work with most databases even Excel, (so do the other languages of course but they are harder to learn and can be a bit unforgiving) although the native database is Access. (surprise, surprise). The learning curve can be a bit steep but beleive me the rewards come thick and fast, providing you have a sound idea how to go about rating a race. I am a semi retired programmer programming in several languages but did not manage to get a better result than other computer rating programmes. That is because I can't decide what is more important than something else?
It all comes down to the available information which by and large is the same for all of us but most importantly "What is important to you in rating the race????". I mean we get stuff like the names of the owners, the colour of silks etc. utterly useless info if you get my meaning, well the owners maybe sometimes useful if you know whether they are betting people or not?
So here it is, if you have any ideas you want investigated until you get your skills in programming, let me know, I am not a shark, will not abuse the trust.
Incidentally I cannot use PPP, have it but does not work, keeps crashing my mashine. So
do not ask if I could look up system selector settings. Have data going back for years but no use if it does not work.
Cheers Louis
Old 3rd May 2004, 08:56 PM

Thank you Lomaca for the informative reply.
I will start looking at this new approach(for me). In the meantime, I have PPPro up and running smoothly, and have data back to late 1999. I offer you the same courtesy inasmuch as that if you would like anything checked out, please let me know and I will give you a contact address.
Thanks again.

Enjay
Old 4th May 2004, 08:35 PM

I offer you the same courtesy inasmuch as that if you would like anything checked out, please let me know and I will give you a contact address.

Your offer is very much appreciated.
Thank's.
Louis
Old 6th May 2004, 09:09 PM

Incidentally I cannot use PPP, have it but does not work, keeps crashing my mashine. So
do not ask if I could look up system selector settings. Have data going back for years but no use if it does not work.
Cheers Louis
[/quote]

Hi Louis...Have you tried a program update in the last few months as Neale mentioned some months ago that we should do one to stop a crashing problem..failing that have you contacted Neale about it ??
cheers Zach