Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 13th May 2009, 05:12 PM

Default 3rd & 4th Favored

Here's one that has worked for me lately

Melbourne & Sydney races Saturday & Wednesday. Never Friday Night ouch

7 - 12 runners

Selection is the 3rd & 4th favored runners

Back both to win.

How you select the 3rd & 4th favored runner is up to you. A combination of price ratings jockeys etc its up to you. Most days its 10 races for 20 bets. I find you only need 3 winners out of 10 to break even most days. I can't give you any solid data on results but out of the last 5 weeks (10 betting days) I have only lost money one day (about $15.00 betting $10.00 per race). Today was a good day. 13 races 6 winners.
Old 14th May 2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger
Here's one that has worked for me lately

Melbourne & Sydney races Saturday & Wednesday. Never Friday Night ouch

7 - 12 runners

Selection is the 3rd & 4th favored runners

Back both to win.

How you select the 3rd & 4th favored runner is up to you. A combination of price ratings jockeys etc its up to you. Most days its 10 races for 20 bets. I find you only need 3 winners out of 10 to break even most days. I can't give you any solid data on results but out of the last 5 weeks (10 betting days) I have only lost money one day (about $15.00 betting $10.00 per race). Today was a good day. 13 races 6 winners.
3rd and 4th Price Rank
Saturday
Melb
Metro
7-12 runners

Starters 5,169
Wins 692
S/R 13.4%
Loss 506
LOT 9.8%

Wednesdays are worse

3rd and 4th Price Rank
Saturday
Syd
Metro
7-12 runners

Starters 5,434
Wins 668
S/R 12.3%
Loss 966
LOT 17.8%

Wednesdays LOT tad better
Old 15th May 2009, 07:39 AM

The way you chose the 3rd & 4th favored runners is obviously the key here. I don't go on price. Sometimes my 3rd or 4th favored runner is the favorite. I use a combination of price, trainer, jockey, rating and a few other filters. I then ignore the first 2 picks and back 3rd & 4th. The prices average about $8.00 per winner.
Old 15th May 2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
The way you chose the 3rd & 4th favored runners is obviously the key here. I don't go on price. Sometimes my 3rd or 4th favored runner is the favorite. I use a combination of price, trainer, jockey, rating and a few other filters. I then ignore the first 2 picks and back 3rd & 4th. The prices average about $8.00 per winner.
So, to use the correct terminology, you are betting on your third and fourth selections.

Good luck
Old 15th May 2009, 11:46 AM

Seeing that we are targeting the 3rd & 4th Selections & not the 3rd & 4th Favs in the market.

One could use a product like the Neurals to make the selections.

I have done well Dutching the lays for 3rd & 4th Favs in the live market if the percentages look high.
Old 15th May 2009, 01:11 PM

Yes I use MY favored selections not the 3rd & 4th priced runners. Most punters have a favorite way of selection. I used mine and tweaked it for about 16 weeks before settling on my current method. It seems to work well but will definetly fall over with the dreaded forum curse. If it can stand up to that I am selling the house and quiting my job
Old 15th May 2009, 02:05 PM
Suspended.

[QUOTE=Pinger]Here's one that has worked for me lately

How you select the 3rd & 4th favored runner is up to you. QUOTE]

Pinger,

Obviously you are taking advantage of the fact that when our 1st or 2nd favoured runner doesn't get up and win [regardless of selection method], there is a decent chance our 3rd. or 4th favoured selection will and at decent odds. Happens all the time, especially when we back our 1st or 2nd favoured runner[s] instead!

I can remember many years ago, having some good success by just backing the newspaper form's 3rd and 4th PP favorites when I had no time to do the form. It's surprising how often they get up at good odds. I wouldn't recommend it as a long term system though.

Good Luck!

Last edited by crash : 15th May 2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 15th May 2009, 05:23 PM
Suspended.

Stats regard 1st. 2nd 3rd, 4th.SP favorite SR are meaningless when it comes to handicapping those horses and deciding on a selection.
Old 15th May 2009, 06:01 PM

Crash

The method of selecting runners has taken a while to work out. I fear if I reveal my selection method, it is doomed to fail. I started using the filters I described earlier including newspaper tips as you mentioned and ranked these filters in order of importance based on results. As you said it probably won't sustain winners over the long term, so then it will be time to change the method of picking favored runners by using the same combination of filters but in a different order based on what is winning and applying these filters. As you would know, there is no hard and fast rule with systems. You have to keep moving all the time.
Confusious say: A reed that does not bend with the water will surely break.
Old 16th May 2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Seems too many shifting parameters, as will fit a sequence, but overtime, you'd be better off giving your money to the trouble and strife IMHO