Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 23rd December 2004, 11:02 PM

Default Best/Worst Books On Punting

In this game nobody knows it all so every bit of knowledge helps. I thought I'd post the list of the books that have/haven't helped me.
Please post your own thoughts.
I stress my comments are my own views only based on the books I have purchased.
Picking Winners by Andrew Beyer(USA) - his first popular book but still his best. This is the book that details how to create speed ratings. I first read this book while attending the Byron Bay Blues Festival - which may explain a lot of things!

Handicapping for The 21st C by Roger Biggs(AUST) - Part 1 is statistics which should be of value to systems freaks. Part 2 is the author's version of speed ratings. This certainly has more direct reference to Aust racing but in my view is much harder to convert into your own ratings model.

Beyer on Speed by Andrew Beyer(USA) - Beyer's most popular book, probably because of the title, but really has much less to offer the person trying to create their own ratings. It is worth reading for the chapter on his unsuccessful season in Australia. He comes to the conclusion that sectional times on grass tracks may be more valuable than overall times. They weren't available when he wrote the book but we have them now. You also have to love a guy who can get away with saying "Jockey XXXXXX rode a perfect race - which qualifies as an act of God!"

Commonsense Punting by Roger Dedman(AUS) - all the percentages on bet types but a bit clinical for my tastes.

Mordin On Time by Nick Mordin(UK) - Supposedly the bible on UK speed ratings but he lost credibility with me when he advocated calculating speed ratings for 4000m races.

Punting to Win by Rod Buttery(AUS) - Buttery advocates punting on "class'' horses but his writing style is in the Rex Mossop mould.

Any of Don Scott's Books - great value if you are into weight ratings.

Any comments please.
Old 24th December 2004, 01:28 AM

Talking

well looks like im in for a lot of reading!!!!!