Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 22nd May 2006, 03:10 PM

Psychology is very important when it comes to punting, because you have to be able to stick with a method, through thick and thin, and if you're punting a method with only a 10% strike rate, the thin's will be quite thick, if you follow.

So, in that respect the great place punters of the forum are right - you no doubt sleep more soundly than us rugged, dashing win punters, however from my point of view the psychology of MY punting would mean that were I to bet the place I would not get the thrill from punting the way I do from win betting.

Case in point - I backed Derringer on Saturday. Had him third selection, priced at $13, he was upwards of $40 on the totes, he was a big overlay. I cannot bet each way, so even at $8 the place (or whatever he was) I just backed him to win. Had the protest been dismissed, I'd have done my money --- but was fully prepared for that, knowing that lots of 40/1 winners will come along, and that lots of 40/1 bets will run second. As it was, the protest was upheld - I MAXIMISED my profit because I did not hedge.
Old 22nd May 2006, 03:29 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyVictor
With the greatest of respect I think you misunderstand me. I would not suggest that you change your selection strategy merely that this selection strategy is aimed at making place bets. Thus to conjecture what would have happened had you placed win bets instead is not of any value. Maybe I'm wrong and you have a magic pin which would have stabbed the newspaper in exactly the same place whichever type of bets you had made. But I think not, you strike me as a successful punter who would tailor his selections to his bets.
Why can't anyone on this forum understand me? Is it only misinterpretation of other peoples posts that keeps us going? Am I an imbecile posing as a very clever person in the disguise of an idiot?

Well, Kenny have a good luck in the mirror & if you see an imbecile posing as a very clever person in the disguise of an idiot shake hands with yourself, you've found out who you really are. What's that old saying, if it looks like duck, walks like a duck & quacks like a duck, it's a duck. :-)

But jokes aside, I don't think anyone on this forum thinks that in all honesty that you not a thinking person & your views are not respected, if not always agreed with.

There is an old saying, "Pick 'em to win, back 'em a place" & that is very much the heart of my selection strategy. Actually, it's a rating process & the place selections I referred to earlier were all rated to win, e.g. top-rated, but backed for a place. In fact, I rated about eleven races on Saturday but bet in five of them because either there was a lack value or for some other reason, such as the top-rated horse being a backmarker which is normally a no-no for me.

So your assumption that the selection strategy is aimed at place betting is not correct - it's my style of betting that is aimed at place betting, not the selection process.
Old 22nd May 2006, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Mer
So your assumption that the selection strategy is aimed at place betting is not correct - it's my style of betting that is aimed at place betting, not the selection process.
I stand corrected.
Old 22nd May 2006, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullTheWhip
You should not only stand corrected, but sit correctly, too. Good for your posture.
Posturing, now that's something we see a lot of on here.
Old 22nd May 2006, 05:19 PM
Suspended.

Quote:
.............snip........................
Why can't anyone on this forum understand me? Is it only misinterpretation of other peoples posts that keeps us going? Am I an imbecile posing as a very clever person in the disguise of an idiot?

Curse you Shaun you've interposed a message between mine and the culprit that instigated it. More misunderstanding on the way.
Ah well, it keeps a thread going.

HA HA Kenny, told you the dangers of shooting your mouth off about place punters !!! I understand you but I tell you what, La Mer is definitely onto something in what he says. 'A steady earn' basically. Out go a lot of up and downs. The ups with the straight win, sure but there are also a lot of downs to balance them out.

It's pretty hard to hit a long run of outs on the place wagon if your a fair handicapper and make wise bets In the $2.50 to $7 the win range, the odds for the place are overall a very good bet in that price range.

Today I had [tipped in other forum page by me]:
Albury
r3/3 Waveband [late scr.]
r4/5 Warby Gold $6.90w $2p
r6/4 Written Habit $2p

10x60 bet. Ok 70w Warby gold would have been good for $483 return [less OL], but with Written Habit the return for my bets were $389[less OL], but if Warby Gold had placed for win only bets[?] A big Zero and down $140. Yesterday I had 3 bets for only 1 place, but at least I had a place collect which makes up for what I missed out on today for the win. I could get to live with that type of trade off. It certainly involves a lot less anxiety which is something that 'percentage of pocket' punters could sure do with [not everyone has a punting bank to soldier on through the outs of win betting and that's probably most punters].

Last edited by crash : 22nd May 2006 at 05:34 PM.
Old 23rd May 2006, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I'm not dissing the place betters if you read my post carefully, it's the each way betters I was pouring scorn on
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash
HA HA Kenny, told you the dangers of shooting your mouth off about place punters !!!
Crash, I appreciate you're old and that people's attention span decreases as they age BUT. I've already corrected you on who I was shooting my mouth off about. If you have the wit to find your computer and log onto this site you must have enough brain cells to remember something that you were corrected on only a few posts before so I can only assume you are being perverse (something that can also increase with age it appears).
Now remember and repeat after me. Place punters GOOD, Each way punters SILLY. Again -- Place punters GOOD, Each way punters SILLY.

What??? You've fallen asleep again?? Crash wake up - pay attention.
Old 23rd May 2006, 11:11 AM
Suspended.

Cool

[QUOTE=KennyVictor]Crash, I appreciate you're old and that people's attention span decreases as they age QUOTE]

You might have a 'little' insight into older codgers Kenny, but we certainly have a LOT more insight into how the world and the people in it, turn [we've been on it for a lot more spins].
I read your original post very clearly and understood what you were saying but human reaction is often a response not to what they see or read, but what they think they see or have read. In that regard little tike, my original warning [without criticism of your view] was spot on. I was warning you about what place punters would 'think' you wrote [they also have the odd each way bet I'm sure] because of the way you worded it.

The 2 pages of 'response' was not mine, so your barking up the wrong tree with your [in vain] pleas to be understood. So there is no use stamping your foot at me young fella !! 8-)

Last edited by crash : 23rd May 2006 at 11:21 AM.
Old 3rd June 2006, 12:28 AM

Can't understand how I missed this post b4, as my main betting is for the place, though like la Mer, any horse that I bet on has actually been "rated" as the winner as a pre-requisite! I'm in profit over 3 years (nearly) but as La Mer knows from my e-mail this is NOT the whole story!! but suffice to say, the MOST important thing is to obtain the BEST return possible, this is what makes the difference between winning or losing (it's THAT close) My plan does show a profit for the win as well ,so EW would also be ok, but as someone said it's that ability to sleep that appeals to the place bettor!

Just realised that I had replied to this one b4, anyway that's my thoughts!

Last edited by partypooper : 3rd June 2006 at 12:32 AM. Reason: omission