Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12th December 2002, 05:44 PM

most of us will have tried a system, and then dumped it - for a variety of reasons.
Often, with a bit of tweaking, or just by looking at it through different eyes, the system may be made to work better and could actually be successful.

I'd like to propose we create a little "systems" bank with forum members donating "dead" or discarded systems they have used for the rest of the group to toy with and research.

All results should be published to the group and if we find something can be made useful we can all put a few razoos on it and enjoy.

So, I shall donate a few that I have played around with in the past and any thoughts on those systems are welcome. And if anyone can make one work, even better.

System 1...
greyhound trifecta system

after looking at the random nature of many greyhound results and the regularity of outsiders winning I decided (last year) to research a trifecta system whereby I selected the outsider for first, the favourite for second and the field for third.

It paid some ripper dividends, my best being about $2000 if my memory serves correctly.

But...(there is always a but !)
I didnt know how to reduce the number of races I was betting on. I was sitting here betting on every greyhound race every day except those races where there were less than 8 runners.
For a few months I made money, averaging a profit of around 50% overall but it was physical hell and I couldnt stay up for the very last races so often I had to bet in advance if I was still going.

I used to stop the moment I had my one good divvie for the day and I would use the prices as shown a minute or two before the race.
On most days I would get my money back but it was too much like hard work and the moment I went into a short downturn I bailed out to preserve my moolah.

In my opinion the problem with this system was not being able to figure out which races to leave out.

if someone can make such a system work, go for it.

After reading another post today, I also believe this kind of system would work at the trots but, again, it needs research.

System no. 2
maiden races
I always tend to go where the mainstream views say not to - I sense there is more value there.
A while ago I noticed a trend with maiden races that I worked on and used for a while.
I noticed that often the person in the paper making their selections would pick the winner amongst his three picks when that runner had no previous form. And often that horse would pay a very healthy price since the public had nothing to go on.
I picked up a few $30 horses in this way and the wins came pretty regularly.
Again, a momentary slump saw me head off in another direction so I never looked into this beyond a few months. But I suspect there is food for thought here.
This system did not seem to work well in NSW.

System 3.

DFS ratings
for those of you who use the NSW TAB you will be aware of the free DFS ratings we get.
I noticed that picking those horses that ranked top in time and class seemed to produce good results but because I dont understand classes in racing too well I felt that there would have been races I should have left out.

This method also seemed to work better in country races than in the city and should have more legs in it if one puts the time into it.

ok, there you go...

three disused systems that are aching for new life from someone with another way of looking at things.

I might finally add that I do feel that whilst most of us use time and class and form to base our selections, that there is room for purely mathematical systems that dont care less about form and I would strongly encourage any one with ideas in this area to throw them around to see what we can come up with .
Even the idea that the fav comes first the most often etc... should open the gate to logical conclusions that allow for profitable betting. I just have to get my head around it a little more... :smile:

all thoughts welcome

see ya
Every Topic

[ This Message was edited by: Every Topic on 2002-12-12 17:49 ]