Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Archive > AFL Australian Rules Football Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 22nd January 2006, 08:16 PM

Default 2005 draft

I'm surprised noone has discussed the 2005 drafts.

I can't believe that Shane Woewodin was not picked up by another club. Wasn't he second in the Collingwood best and fairest in 2004? And he's still a very good, injury free footballer.

He would have been great at a club like Richmond. Melboune supporters love him. If he came back membership would have jumped by some thousands.
Old 23rd January 2006, 12:11 AM

The problem with Woewodin is that the perception is that he is too slow for the game. Not just with leg speed but with decision making. Several times last year I saw him get the ball yet hold on to it too long. The game these days is all about quick movement in to your forward line and this was not one of Woey's strengths.

Richmond would have been the last team to show any interest. Since Terry Wallace has come on board a huge emphasis has been placed on recruiting quick, skillful players. The game plan is all about getting it into the forward line quickly and therefore hopefully being a very offensive high scoring team. If you look at the Bulldogs now this is the way alot of their players play due to the recruiting of Wallace when he was still there. Woey would have been detrimental to the Tigers game plan and not even on the recruiting radar.

The only player I thought would have got picked but didn't was Damien Cupido. Gone are the days when clubs take risks on players who are perceived to be lazy or troublesome. Then again if Matthews or Sheedy couldn't convert Cupido's huge amount of talent into a consistent performer then I don't see who could have!
Old 24th January 2006, 04:29 PM
Suspended

There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old,bold pilots.
Older you get the less you enjoy being belted.
Not saying Woewodin is a coward,but he got beautiful daughter and beautiful wife.
They need him more than Football.
Old 26th January 2006, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnosis
The problem with Woewodin is that the perception is that he is too slow for the game. Not just with leg speed but with decision making. Several times last year I saw him get the ball yet hold on to it too long. The game these days is all about quick movement in to your forward line and this was not one of Woey's strengths.

Isn't he under 30, or just 30? He's a Brownlow medallist, injury free and still very talented. An ideal senior player to have around the youngsters. I think it's a disgrace he was not picked up in the draft. Sometimes decision making can appear to be slow - if your teammates nearby are not calling out properly to you or just stationary upfield and you are there waiting that extra time expecting someone to make a lead.
Old 27th January 2006, 03:14 PM

It is hardly a disgrace. If a club does not believe a player will fit into their structure then they have no obligation to pick him up. If 16 clubs believe this then it is bad luck. Saying "he is a Brownlow medallist" doesn't have any currency for this moment in time. The fact is the year he won his Brownlow was a huge surprise and he did not even make All-Australian. Woewodin has only been a better than average player with one exceptional year and unfortunately the game has passed him by.