Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 10th January 2014, 11:21 AM

Will do, may take a while to do the stripping

Ta,
Martin
Old 10th January 2014, 11:28 AM

On second thoughts don't worry about it. It will take me hours to try and condense the code down to something sensible. It currently has both the html and the old schema download tools in it which makes it complicated.

Really all I need to know is why the compiler is rejecting "pool" when it accepts "runner" doing the same thing.

I will do some more research and possible try the xml pages.

Thanks for your help Aussie. I will post my solution when I get there.

Ta,
Martin
Old 10th January 2014, 11:53 AM

ok good luck
Old 10th January 2014, 12:05 PM

Thanks I need it - time spent in forums so often just reminds me of how tragic life really is........
Old 10th January 2014, 12:54 PM

Why I got out of the IT industry reason #googleplex.

Rename pool to poolb. Or simon. Or anything. 'Pool' must be the name of a some function or data type that has been included amongst the references in this project that wasn't included in the other.

...how the heck is this thing supposed to run anyway? I could only figure out how to test the code by removing the paramater for LoadRaceFields (and setting wks explicitly) so I could run it as a macro.
Old 10th January 2014, 02:15 PM

Thanks Walkermac - it now compiles. Now I just have to merge it with the rest of the monster and hopefully I can go back to xml feed
I have attached a file - look at module 2. It has the timer sub from which the beast fires. At preset intervals it gets updates and after the last download it runs an analytical package which tells me whether or not to bet. when i started it in 2001 I never thought it was going to be this big.

Thanks again for your help

Ta,
Martin

ps I will probably be back to beg more help.....
Attached Files
File Type: xlsm MergedApp.xlsm (33.1 KB, 387 views)
Old 10th January 2014, 02:25 PM

No worries. Don't count on me though! My knowledge is pretty dated

(incidentally, I always wondered why it was convention to use a lowercase letter to begin variable names: e.g. thisIsMyVariable, vs ThisIsMyFunction. Had you followed this convention you would've known something was up when 'pool' kept changing into 'Pool' )
Old 10th January 2014, 02:33 PM

re pool my limited knowledge..... I always use a capital in a variable so that when I have finished typing in lower case the first letter changes to a capital which then tells me I am using a proper variable (not just one in my head). I tend to have more frustration than knowledge (the thought of spending hours reading books just for 1 tidbit of information). That is why I have put off this job for so long. The analytical stuff takes most of my time and I can just get it done although I know my code is crap - it is easier just to get a faster processor and more memory.

Ta,
Martin
Old 10th January 2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkermac
No worries. Don't count on me though! My knowledge is pretty dated

(incidentally, I always wondered why it was convention to use a lowercase letter to begin variable names: e.g. thisIsMyVariable, vs ThisIsMyFunction. Had you followed this convention you would've known something was up when 'pool' kept changing into 'Pool' )
There is always a good reason for conventions in any sphere of work.

Where I work we have to have a library file of declared variables and where and for what they are used.

Pain initially but saves much time later, also copy and paste of code is almost a sackable offense. Well not quite but you would not want to be caught twice.
Old 10th January 2014, 08:32 PM

Agree - conventions and standards are excellent. If the banking industry had stuck to them the crash would not have happened.
But I am a self-taught hobbyist who has never worked as a programmer - I wish I had - so I do not have the benefit of other people's experience. And I appreciate how much a novice like me must frustrate the pro's.
Curious about not copying code - why reinvent the wheel? Assuming it is legal of course.

In the meantime I will keep on hack, hack, hacking on Heaven's door - I am sure that is what Dylan meant to sing.

Ta,
Martin