Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 21st July 2005, 10:58 PM

Default Getting the best price.

I wonder if anyone who's been jockeying for best prices for a while could give a few tips to an amateur.
I've been running half a dozen screens for a few weeks now balancing the three tabs and best div against the fixed price offered by various online bookies looking to get the best price about my selections. Are there any golden rules for this sort of thing?
I had a horse a few days ago which was real short with the bookies and much longer on all three Tabs so with about ten minutes to go I said "Buggar it, I'll never get a better fixed price", plonked on the best div and went and made a cup of tea. Lo and behold the horse paid 1.90 best div and the bookies finished at 2.55.
The only general trend I seem to notice is that real short favorites on the Tab, like 1.40 to 1.80 ish seem to lengthen in the last few minutes and favorites about the 2.50 upwards seem to shorten. I'm guessing the mass of favorite backers plonk on the favorite if it's long enough and don't bother if it's too short.
Any general advice or observations on the science of getting the best price would be greatly appreciated.

KV
Old 21st July 2005, 11:21 PM

Hi KV,

I find it best using TopFluc for horses under $3, and MaxiDiv (any of DialaBet, SportingBet and Centre Racing) for those likely to be longer. For anything more than $10, BetFair is probably the best.

Monkeyinjapan

Old 22nd July 2005, 01:15 AM

KV and Monkey, I've been away for 10 weeks + and have been amazed at how hard it is to get back "INTO" things, but I'm sure that you are both onto where the profit lies. A question that I asked 3 months ago but have forgotten the answer is: where can I get "BEST OF 3 TOTES"? win "OR" place?
Old 22nd July 2005, 05:59 AM

I beleive Sportingbet offer that service on Metro races, they offer the best of 3 TOTES +5% unless it has changed since .
Old 22nd July 2005, 02:55 PM

PP,
Sportingbet dropped their 5c bonus a few months back and I believe only pay maxidiv on Metro races now.
I find Centre racing pay maxidiv on the widest range of meetings for win bets.
Dialabet pay maxidiv plus 5c on Metro races for the win (and best of two totes for provincial). Dialabet also pay best tote on place. As far as I can understand their little book of rules they pay best tote PLACE on Metro and provincial but I haven't tested that out.

KV
Old 22nd July 2005, 09:16 PM

KV thanks for that it looks like Dialabet then , as I am particularly interested in best tote for the place, do you have their details please?
Old 22nd July 2005, 09:22 PM

KV, found it, but no good as they consider Perth as "Provincial) so only offer best of NSW & Supertab, the win part is good if betting in the Eastern States though can't understand why everyone is not onto that one!

At the moment I am puttin half of my stake on best of NSW &Supertab and half of my stake on Unitab which covers things as best I can but really need best of 3
Old 23rd July 2005, 10:46 AM

Centre racing do best div on win bets for most meetings but will only pay best div up to a fairly low limit.

IAS may be a better option for you. They offer a price which is better than at least two of the tab divvies, sometimes as high as maxidiv. I think they offer it on win and place.

Watch out for those payout limits on your longshots though, was it you got caught at sportingbet? Some of the places I mentioned have fine print.

KV

Last edited by KennyVictor : 23rd July 2005 at 10:49 AM.
Old 23rd July 2005, 10:57 AM

Default Getting the best price

to digress slightly from the topic...
Has anyone used or looked at TOBE ?
Chiller
Old 23rd July 2005, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiller
to digress slightly from the topic...
Has anyone used or looked at TOBE ?
Chiller

Or... you could have started another thread. I've been sitting here at the computer for two days hoping some highly experienced individual would give me guidance on the original question. So far the forum's knowledge on the subject is encapsulated in 3 lines from MonkeyinJapan (for which I thank you).
I don't know, you give and give and give and what do you get? The nights I've laid awake till 4 in the morning trying to crack some problem I've read on here until I've finally had to say to the wife "I have to get out of bed". "But we haven't made love yet," she'll say. "No time for that," I'd say. "Someone on the Forum needs help."
I'm beginning to think the only way to get a response on subject on here is if you badmouth Bhagwan or start doubting peoples abilities. Well I'm prepared to do both if it's the only way to get answers. Well, maybe not the first one.
You lot wouldn't know if a horses price was going down on you if it started nibbling your gonads. Look for the best price, Hah, you guy's idea of getting the best price is to give your mum $10 and send her to the Tab to look for a bargain.

Not only that some of your punctuation is terrible.

KV