Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 1st December 2014, 11:14 AM

Thumbs up California Chrome

California Chrome has strengthened his claims for American Horse of the Year honours with victory in the Hollywood Derby, his first race on turf.

The winner of this year's Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes, California Chrome failed as so many have before in the final race of the Triple Crown, the Belmont Stakes.

But he was back to his best on Saturday (Sunday AEDT) for his turf debut in the Grade One at Del Mar.

Ridden by Victor Espinoza, California Chrome ran the 1-1/8 miles (1700m) in 1:47.88secs.

"Oh, was he ready to roll," Espinoza said.

"He just turned it on and I knew we were home. You can see now that grass is no problem. Grass, dirt, synthetic, you name it. This horse likes it and he'll run on it."

Canada-bred Lexie Lou, the lone female in the field of six, finished second while Taleo was another length third.

The victory took California Chrome's career earnings to $US4,222,650 ($A4.57 million), with nine wins from 16 starts.

It was his fourth Grade One win of the year and he came to the race off a third-place finish in the Breeders' Cup Classic on November 1 at Santa Anita.

California Chrome went to the lead in the first furlong (200m), but gave it up to Sawyer's Hill. California Chrome remained in stalking position until the far turn, where he surged to the lead in the upper stretch.

"I was confident," winning trainer Art Sherman said. "We're here on our home ground, he's got all the people here and he's such a favourite with everybody.

"It makes me feel good to know I can run him on the grass. Just another option."

Sherman said those options include the $10 million Dubai World Cup in March or Royal Ascot.

"We're going to definitely run him another year," he said.

- Source aapmegaform.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/03/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg