Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 10th June 2007, 11:38 PM

Default Weight Ratings

Are there any weight raters on here?

I've used time ratings over several years and had some good but mixed success.

The major problems I encountered were

# large amount of time req'd to produce good ratings
# making allowances for pace scenarios
# knowing which race to base the rating on (last start or last start over distance or best run last 3 starts)
# wet tracks were difficult to win on
# different form cycles from different horses

I've also been messing around with Weight ratings on and off and recently found it to be successful and less time consuming and with it I dont have to worry so much about making adjustments for pace scenarios and track conditions (although I could but trying to keep it simple)

Anyone else here use their own weight ratings?

One problem I've encountered is what LIMIT WEIGHT to use for WFA races. For a race like the Cox Plate I use the 3yo weight for colts (i dont worry about the fillies) and for other WFA races I have used worked out different weights to use but for some WFA races, for example the Doomben 10,000 WFA I didn't know what to use as the LIMIT WEIGHT to calculate weight ratings from that race. So what I did was use 53kgs and using that figure those horses from that race rated below Sniper's Bullet on my ratings scale. I didnt back it though as still fine tuning my weight scale.

Anyone have some thoughts on LIMIT WEIGHTS?

Another question is what bonuses (if any) do you give for winning margins or field strength?

We all know that one cox plate is not the same strength as another one, but how do you adjust for that? how do you calculate field strength in Kilos?

I've been making a subjective assesment of field strength which is fine most of the time but it would be good to have a more objective system.

Example

Winning Horse wins grp 2 race by 3.5 lengths. Do you give a bonus for the margin and how do you calculate field strength compared to the average group 2?

Appreciate any thoughts

PS: Weight ratings usually work well in the major group races, so do time ratings by the way

Of course they aint perfect but no method is!
Old 11th June 2007, 07:37 AM

travelrock,

racingandsports have a weight rating on their worksheet.

It might help you out a bit with some specifics if you examine how they do it. I personally haven't computed my own weight ratings so can't be much more help.

Good Luck.
Old 11th June 2007, 01:41 PM

thanks but im aware of websites with such info but wanted to ask individuals to do their own

if you just follow commerical sites you cant win