Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 10th June 2003, 06:27 PM
Banned

A recent post making an analogy between insider trading on the stock market and investing on the TAB with inside knowledge seems to have disappeared.
Any good reason?
Old 10th June 2003, 09:34 PM

Sorry, but I can't even recall the post.
Old 10th June 2003, 09:41 PM

It was definitely on the board on either Saturday evening or Sunday morning (as I replied to it) and has dissappeared. Also a message by Bhagwan with his "certain bet" for Saturday which I replied to has also gone?
Old 10th June 2003, 09:50 PM

That's odd, because I can't recall deleting any posts in the last few days. I do remember seeing Bhagwan's post. It was fine.

I have edited a few posts eg one calling someone a thief.

PS: Just checked my records. A promotional post of a website trying to sell something was deleted.

[ This Message was edited by: quapi on 2003-06-10 21:54 ]
Old 11th June 2003, 11:32 AM
tomcrown

if you track it down let me know. it sounds very interesting and i'd like to know more about it.
Old 11th June 2003, 03:32 PM
Suspended. Invalid e-mail address.

It seems to me that a few threads might have gone missing over the weekend. Very odd :???:
Old 11th June 2003, 03:44 PM

Tomcrown,

I can't remember it word for word but the basic post was along the lines of:

"If a trainer takes a unraced and untrialed horse to a meeting knowing that it has good potential to win (knowledge that will not be readily available given the untrialed status) he has an unfair advantage over the punters who have been deceived. If Renee Rivkin buys/sells shares on the stock market based on knowedge not readily available then he is convicted of insider trading and sent to prison (well weekend detention with a visit to the psych ward thrown in). Question is how are they different?"

My response was:
"In the first instance you are talking about GAMBLING and it is LEGAL. The second instance is INVESTING and is ILLEGAL."

Of course the question probably should be should it be legal for trainers (and others with insider knowledge) to bet on horse racing. I think you could mount a good argument for making it ILLEGAL for anyone with insider knowledge to bet on horse racing. Of course it would be very difficult to inforce but if the penalties were tough enough (eg. instant loss of trainer licence) then it would probably greatly reduce the amount of "insider trading" going on.
Old 11th June 2003, 04:14 PM

Quapi,

What's going on?
On Saturday evening I, also, submitted a post(friendly) specifically to Imagele and also one to TAUTO(not so friendly-all he/she submits is negative comments) and I checked the next day and no sign of either!
Perhaps there was a power shortage?

Cheers.
Old 11th June 2003, 04:58 PM

becareful,

You make a very valid point.
There is a "performer" on a Sunday morning racing-orientated program , who, quite emphatically, suggests that owners and connections have no responsibility to inform the "great unwashed masses"(read:average punters)of their intended riding tactics. As I said, I have heard this "performer" suggest that it is the owners/trainers "right" to secure the best odds.
As a very informed student of racing such as "Imagele" would agree, these characters think they have an exclusive "club," whereby, they think the average punter is just there to present them with the turnover to facilitate their lifestyles.

Cheers.
Old 11th June 2003, 05:23 PM

Hi xanadu
Re your post below I will contact one of our tech people as it seems very odd.
Cheers.

"Quapi,
What's going on?
On Saturday evening I, also, submitted a post(friendly) specifically to Imagele and also one to TAUTO(not so friendly-all he/she submits is negative comments) and I checked the next day and no sign of either!
Perhaps there was a power shortage?
Cheers."