Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 27th June 2003, 11:33 AM

In recent times this forum has lacked direction due to a couple of rogue elements(freddy and houdini). I thought a post on the greatness of choisir may lighten the mood. What a genius this horse has become. he has put Australia on the world map proving what many of us parochial aussies suspected - we have the best horses. While choisir has confirmed himself as a top rate sprinter he is not the best in australia although with his racing style suits england. imagine what yell, spinning hill, bel espirit, rubitano etc could do on the world stage.
Old 27th June 2003, 11:50 AM

Freddy and houdini have been long gone from this forum.
Old 27th June 2003, 12:44 PM

sorry i copied that from my post on another site. have they been banned on here as well?

cheers
Old 1st July 2003, 03:29 PM

News has just come in that Chosir cannot go into quarantine until July 18, and will very likely now contest the July Cup. Best of luck to the horse and connections

Cheers,
Cosmo
Old 1st July 2003, 08:39 PM

The difficult thing is working out whether Choisir has actually improved after his spell and then trip to England...or whether he is the same Choisir who Was overall as good but certainly no better than the likes of Rubitano and Spinning Hill.

Regardless of that, no one should doubt the extent of positive impact Choisirs success will have on the Australian racing industry. The industry as a whole owes a great deal of gratitude to Choisir, Paul Perry and the Wallaces who put up the cash to send him over.
Old 2nd July 2003, 12:30 PM

no doubt we owe the perry's a debt of gratitude. absolute champion efforts. just imagine if a super horse like NOrtherly or LOnhro went over there
Old 3rd July 2003, 04:01 AM

Hi
Northerly or Lonhro would be no where near as succesful as Choisir in my opinion.We've only sent over one decent horse to run in a stakes race in OZ(Grandera) and he was only beat a length in a race run at a crawl on a track he hated.Was a good try for a horse who likes to close off a fast pace on a stiff track.Northerly would do well to finish within 5 lengths in a Royal Ascot race.
European sprinters are weak.Handicappers are very close to grade 1 sprinters in ability.I'd back Aussie sprinters every time,look at results from the far east in sprints compared to middle distances.You rarely see a European winner in sprints but over 10 to 12f they are a different ball game all together even though the real top stars prefer to go to USA and race in the World Thoroughbred Championships.Both middle distance turf races there last year were won by Euros and no doubt will win the BC Turf again this year at Santa Anita.
There's a world of difference between racing in OZ,Far East,GB/Ireland,France and USA.
Generally it's hard to beat the yanks for dirt horses,the UK/Ire for middle distance turf and the Aussies for sprints on turf.
Choisir has been a good ambassador for OZ and will be fav in the July Cup a race his sire finished 5th in.
Old 3rd July 2003, 02:25 PM

G'day davyork, some intersting stuff there mate. Cat amongst the pigeons perhaps :wink:

Must say, if you are anywhere right with your statement 'Northerly would do well to finish within 5 lengths in a Royal Ascot race' please keep em at home, and don't spread the word (at home at least) :smile:
Old 4th July 2003, 02:07 PM

geez dav you've made some big calls there. i havent seen northerly run in a race yet where he was five lengths off the winner including his second succesive cox plate victory against the best field EVER assembled in that particular race. He beat them all on their merits. sure grtandera changed stride a few times but would he have actually got past northerly on a bigger track. he didn't go past defier and had every right too. I dont know what Northerly must do to stop getting bagged by people. He continues to win and continues to defy citics and records alike.

People say he is all guts and not a fast horse. sure he has guts but he is deceivingly quick. He travelled 3 wide the trip and smashed the australian cup record he ran course record when defeated by patrick payne's ride and fremason and he won the caufield cup with 58kg's. he is one of the greatest of all time dont worry about that.
Old 5th July 2003, 06:58 AM

Umrum
I didn't mean to put the cat amongst the pidgeons lol.
I didn't mean to knock Northerly,I've heard he's a smashing horse and he looked tough in the Plate.The best horse over here last year was maybe High Chaparral,he won the Epsom Derby beating Hawk Wing by 2 lengths with Moon Ballad(won dirt grade 1 in Dubai,the World Cup)third about 14 lengths away.High Chaparral was a monster,unbeatable in either UK or Ireland over 2400m.He won the Breeders Cup Turf World Chapionship in the USA at the end of the year too.He was fortunate enough that the rain came in America and softened the ground for him to display his stamina or he may have been outpaced.However,I doubt he would have beat Northerly in Australia and vice vera Northerly would have struggled to finish over here against the son of Saddlers Wells.Racing over here is totally different to OZ,USA,Japan,France.Emphasis here is put on stamina rather than speed,many races are run on soft ground with uphill finishes or hilly undulating tracks.Best horses are bred to get 2400 m so they can win a Derby or Arc.
Strawberry Road was an Aussie who came to race in France and won a grade 1 before running a good race in the Arc.
Why don't we ever see Aussies in the Breeders Cup in the States?You'd do well.