Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 23rd December 2007, 10:23 PM

Betting on horses is far, far more profitable (if you're winning) than owning them. Owning them is a great way to burn your $$$$$$$. Don't believe the rumours.
Old 23rd December 2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Armee
Betting on horses is far, far more profitable (if you're winning) than owning them. Owning them is a great way to burn your $$$$$$$. Don't believe the rumours.

Unless you get one like your name sake.
Old 23rd December 2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
Unless you get one like your name sake.

Yes, but the chances of that are much less than the rankest outsider who ran this year.
Old 24th December 2007, 06:28 AM

Quote Crack-One

So how can you claim that you have the "betting System"

I think your doing a bit of fishing

Not even that Crack,,,this is a contrived thread designed to kick-start a moribund forum.
Old 24th December 2007, 12:33 PM

You get paid for top 6 when owning a horse, and sometimes top 10 if the prize money is up there. Whereas if you bet you only get paid if you bet the winner or get a top 3 finisher. In addition you get inside information which helps you do a lot better when betting
Old 24th December 2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengo
You get paid for top 6 when owning a horse, and sometimes top 10 if the prize money is up there. Whereas if you bet you only get paid if you bet the winner or get a top 3 finisher. In addition you get inside information which helps you do a lot better when betting
Pengo have you had a horse? I had one in a syndicate 10 years ago, if they pay there way you are lucky!!! with training ($1200 a month 10 years ago) and vet bills. Sure if you have a good horse that has won in town you may come out in front, what is the % of horses that win in town? The thrill of watching your horse go around can no be beaten!!
Old 24th December 2007, 03:34 PM

No but my mate has one, Aloisi which just came in 3rd. I bet on a win for him and lost whereas my mate is getting paid :P

LOL @ 1200 a month.. My mate doesn't pay anywhere near that and the prize money has paid for its ongoing month to month costs.

Previous to today's race it placed 4th and today 3rd, so hopefully next race he finally gets a win.

Last edited by pengo : 24th December 2007 at 03:36 PM.
Old 24th December 2007, 05:18 PM
Banned

Red face

pengo i hope you're not advocating owning as a way to make money, because you would be wrong a very very large % of the time (i can't find the actual numbers, but a horse has a low chance of getting to the track in the first place let alone paying for your outlay)
Old 24th December 2007, 05:36 PM

If owning a race horse is not a good way to make money, then why do we even have a racing industry?

That said, there are definitely way better ways and with betting you have a "faster" way to make money. Plus also easier, let everyone else pay for the hard work that goes into a racehorse and profit from their success.

Last edited by pengo : 24th December 2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 24th December 2007, 06:02 PM

We have a racing industry because owners want to have the thrill of seeing their horse run around and hopefully win.
To have a horse that pays for itself or makes money on top is the elusive holy grail.
More than 90% of owners fork out far more than they ever get back.
That's why it's known as the sport of kings.

Without syndication only the rich can afford to race them.

In 2009 I'll be getting a horse to race for fun (2008 is already full of other things), I expect it will cost me plenty, but you never know, I probably have a 10% chance of making money.

In one race at sandown the winner cost $18,000 and beat horses costing in excess of $200,000.

You don't need to purchase a $500,000 horse, a horse under $20,000 has just as much chance of winning, the higher priced horses just have higher stud value.

There have been quite a few very expensive duds on the racetrack, many millions spent and never won a race.
The bloodline might be there for future progeny, but I would never buy a horse sired by an expensive non winner.

My horse will have to be sired by a multiple Group 1 winner, and under $20,000, you'd be amazed how many there are when the fashionable sires are the expensive ones.

Hey, maybe I can just keep betting more and more til it wins to recoup all costs, if it doesn't win, I'll just line up at the soup kitchen
*RaceCensus now updated to 30/04/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg

Last edited by Chrome Prince : 24th December 2007 at 06:09 PM.