Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 7th March 2004, 05:11 PM

Old 7th March 2004, 05:51 PM
Banned

Good grief.Shock/ horror.
It wouldnt happen here amongst our honest johns.
Would it???.
Cheers.
darky.
Old 7th March 2004, 06:13 PM

Darky,
Now come on naughty naughty.

I mean 2 Sats ago I watched a Syd race (I didn't bet it so not talking out of my pocket)and a horse 1st or 2nd fav ridden by a top Syd hoop.

Coming to the last turn He was well placed 3rd 1 off the fence and travelling lovely, all of a sudden He dropped back and let 2 horses come past him.

He then got caught on the rails and couldn't get out, when He did the horse came home like a train, and should have won the race by 2 lengths.

The Jock was quizzed by Stewards after the race and His excuse was that He made a bad judgement, and it was left at that.

When you read articles like I just have to wonder what is REALLY HAPPENING in this Industry.

The one thing none of us should forget it is all about money, and I'm not talking about the average punter, but money we only dream of.

Cheers

Old 7th March 2004, 06:15 PM

Aaaahh, News of the World, not exactly known for its "truth" in reporting. This story has been done to death on the Betfair forum. News of the World manages to leave out some facts. The horse in question has a habit of pulling up in front. It is still the winner of only 1 race after 19 attempts. The market had it as a 2 horse race, the finish emphasised this. Neither the winner or the 2nd horse blew a great deal, or was backed for any amounts out of the ordinary.
Having not seen the race I cannot comment on what actually happened, but would take News of the World stories with a grain (mountain) of salt. It is of course being blamed on the exchanges, "without them (Betfair & the like) racing would not be crooked in any way". Apparently people who laid the 2nd horse are receiving 'please explain' letters. Can't wait for mine, no hang on I laid the winner as well. Still, it will be interesting to see what comes of it.
Old 8th March 2004, 04:26 PM

Wait..there's more!

FOURTEEN top jockeys were being probed over a betting ******** last night as racing was engulfed in its greatest ever crisis.
The riders are alleged to have sold tips to punters or made bets themselves.

News of the top secret inquiry comes as revelations about Kieren Fallon allegedly fixing a race rock the sport.

Jockey Club investigators are at a crucial stage in their probe into the 14 flat and jump riders – who are all well-known to punters.

It is strictly against rules for jockeys to bet or sell tips for money.

Racing chiefs are to ask for telephone records to identify positively any dodgy links to major gamblers.

They had hoped to warn the riders privately and order them to end suspicious associations.

But any hope of protecting racing’s image has been blown apart by allegations that six-times champion jockey Fallon is a race fixer.

A Jockey Club spokesman said: “We are looking at lines of inquiry which have been complicated by the events of the past week.”

Fallon, 39, was in hiding last night after The Sun’s sister paper the News of the World taped him admitting he would lose last Tuesday’s 3.30 at Lingfield.

The Queen’s first-choice rider is certain to be suspended during a Jockey Club meeting to discuss the case today.

Her Majesty has asked to be kept informed.

Fallon told undercover reporters three hours before the Lingfield race that a horse called Rye would win.

The jockey – on well-fancied Ballinger Ridge – was caught on the line by Rye and came second after being ten lengths clear.

He was taped saying on the phone: “I’m actually down as the favourite. It’s not very good. The horse of Jamie Osborne’s going to win. A horse called Rye.”

Two big-time gamblers made a fortune on the race by betting Ballinger Ridge would lose.

Old 8th March 2004, 04:35 PM
Banned

Her Majesty must be speechless .Not like some of our old queens here.
Cheers
darky.
Old 8th March 2004, 06:15 PM

She probably phones him every Friday night for tips :smile:
Old 8th March 2004, 06:22 PM
Banned

Hows Phil and Charlie these days.?
Old 8th March 2004, 07:22 PM

Inquiry into race fixing in Oz?? Bring it on!! (wear your flak jacket if your giving evidence ,& send the kids to their grandmothers.)
Old 8th March 2004, 09:51 PM

Did anybody see the footage on SBS???
Unbelievable !!!!
Blatant....and I'm a skeptic when it comes to the amount of skullduggery that is alleged to go on.