Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 4th July 2006, 01:23 AM

Default Who are we?

Fellow members, is it me, the fifteen crownies i've drank tonight or is anyone else sick and tired of getting on this forum night after night and perusing the opinions and views of people who we don't know anything about and who we will never meet? I have a mental picture of most the forumites here (sorry Sportz, yours isn't pretty mate), but without any information i'm afraid these images just don't have any bearing. That is why i'd like for us all now to take some time out from our formguides, videos, ratings, speed maps and whatever else us die-hards use to try and track a winner, to share some information about ourselves with each other and if nothing else gain a little more insight into the individuals with whom we all spend so much time conversing with on a day to day basis.

So come on everybody, no need to be to specific, maybe just a first name, age, occupation and what you hope to acheive from punting would be a good starting point.

Stay tuned as the bombshell of the century will be dropped in just a few short moments as i reveal myself.

Cheers ED
Old 4th July 2006, 01:45 AM

It was a cold, dark night a couple of years back now, when a young lad infactuacted with horseracing was scouring the world wide web for anything he could read about the sport of Kings. Little did he know that he was soon to stumble across a mine, not of gold nor coal, but one of information that would see his punting in good steed for his future gambling exploits. So this young, bright-eyed teen embraced his good fortune and registered to become part of this elite few, he would now be reffered to as Mr ED. But alas, all does not end there, as two and half years of lies and deciept has forced this once innocent young fellow into the cruel depths of adulthood, for his name is not really ED it is DANIEL.

Hey everyone, as you've just read i have decieved you all, i apologise, i was immature and stupid i hope one day you'll find it in your hearts to forgive me.

Anyway i am 21 years old, and a Uni student in Melbourne, I work part-time in a bar and spend most of my free time studying the gi-gi's.

I started punting at age 13 whilst living in Darwin and have been obsessed with everything to do with the industry ever since. I believe i am a half decent judge when it comes to finding a winner and over the past two-years i have shown healthy profits, but my issues with self-control will probably relinquish my chances of ever making a decent quid out of the game.

Cheers Daniel.
Old 4th July 2006, 07:08 AM

Well here goes

My name is actually Peter not Raw Instinct who would have figured that I do think the old bloke would have had trouble typing with his hooves I am 29 years old abd have only really been gambling or really followed horse racing since about 2000, before that I would have the odd bet now and then but usually only on the big days always Melbourne Cups and so forth. My name which I use here is obviously named after the former horse who I grew and affinity with he started racing in Brisbane around the same time I started punting more regularly and he became the 1st horse I really followed and he will probably be my fav horse for along long time now he was never anything flashy but he was a tough little bloke who gave 100% everytime he stepped out on the track.

I work in a Plumbing store we are basically a retail outlet for both Trade and walk in customers I have been there for the last 4 years and it isn't a bad place to be before that I worked in a sports store for 7 years and that pretty takes up all the years since I have left school.

I was born and bred and Rockhmapton and I swear one day I will get out of this place, It isn't bad I guess but like most smallish towns there isn't a great deal to do on the weekends outside of the cinemas or shopping and neither is good for your wallet especially with the girlfriend around

I played Rubgy Union here for 10 years with one club playing A Grade for pretty much all that time from 17-26yo and almost played 200 games for the club however a couple of years ago I decided I had had enough of the game and haven't gone back since some days I regret it but for the most part my body thinks it is a great idea I gave it away.

A couple of mates myself and my girlfriend all want to go to the Melbourne Cup week some stage in the not to distant future we were possibly looking at next year maybe being attainable if I was a better gambler it could have come sooner, My girlfriend and I also want to go to the USA at some stage I have been a huge Chicago Bears fan since I was about 15yo and we would eventually like to go over there for a few weeks and try and catch a game or 2 aswell as make our way around the Chicago area and maybe a couple of other places while we are there.

So far we have been to the Doomben Cup, Stradbroke & Brisbane Cup days last year and the Chipping Norton day this year and have had a ball each of the days we are certainly wanting to expand on that list, I also went and saw my beloved Tigers beat the Dragons whilst in Sydney earlier this year which was a great night also. That pretty much sums me up anyway this should be fun to read anyway good idea Mr Ed

Last edited by Raw Instinct : 4th July 2006 at 07:14 AM.
Old 4th July 2006, 08:04 AM

Okay, sounds good...

My turn..
Just got home from work, been there 5 years and do one thing wrong last week, and got the **** blown out of me for the first time ever! Not happy to put it mildly.

Just turned 30, de facto missus (I should hurry up and marry her..), 1 x 12 year old kid, 2 dogs, 1 cat and 6 fish. I work in manufacturing industry.

I got my user name playing Championship Manager 3. Louis Saha was a god in that game... hence the name.. Saha is a star! Real name Aaron.

Until the age if 27-8 I was a mug punter like 99% of other people.. and probably like most, one day searching for a winner on the internet at Melbourne Cup time.... and so the story goes.

I started creating a huge racing database 12 months ago.. I have some awesome **** stacking up the profits, but more time is needed before I hit it full time. I think I have a knack to pick a winner as I have 50 odd systems I am now analysing closely that have had 50-150 bets all returning between 50-100% profit.

Most of my systems are very similiar and are slight variations of each other.. so in most of them the same horse is selected. I have tried to identify my 5 niche areas of punting though, hopefully within 3 years all 5 have systems selecting different horses from one another, but returning a minimum of 30% virtually guaranteed. Not many selections but that is the idea, minimum bets.. maximum profits.

My dream is to earn enough punting just for one reason... So I don't have to work. I think it is acheivable but it does take time, hard work, research, patience, building the bank up... and self-control. Hence my whinge above...

... but like Ed, unfortunately picking a winner means jack **** if one has a lack of self-control. Something I am trying really hard to overcome.

I think over the years if I'd only put $1 on each horse I've bet on.. I'd be a mile up, but those big bets have a habit of running second alot. Trust me, if you feel the urge... seek me out I'll tell you all about it.

This week for the first time though, I had a system that returns at least 30% (my target all along) with 95% confidence long term (it's currently returning 112%) but only 1 bet per week... and more will be coming very soon.

Now that I have that confidence behind me that I am on a winner long term I hope that I am cured of the need for a punt on something else.

Would love to go to the Melbourne Cup one day, and have the money behind me to smash my selection up... and ride it home all the way, first past the post. That would be exciting... and tell my boss where to go!!!
Old 4th July 2006, 06:19 PM

to be sociable will acknowledge this post.
i live in southern tasmania and know nothing about racing.
it has taken me 25 years to come to this conclusion and each saturday i re-inforce this.
i work for myself but dont make enough to punt heavily thankfully.
i am a councillor on the local council so am on the receiving end of a lot of suggested improvements from people.

my biggest complaint about punting is that after 25 years i think i know things when time and time again prove that i dont.

on saturday i had umaprince as second selection in the glasshouse but because it had been beaten at rockhampton i concluded it couldnt win.
i always do this sort of thing no matter how often i try to mechanise my methods to stop it.

dont take the punt too seriously and enjoy it. good luck to you in your endeavours and thanks for taking the trouble to introduce yourselves.
Old 4th July 2006, 06:49 PM
Banned

This is good reading so ill add mine.

Im 23 yrs old and live in Brisbane out on the bayside. I havnt been betting all that long, and i started out putting on 1 bet every satruday which was a tip off "THE HORSEWHISPERER" on a radio station we have here called Triple M.
Then i basically started having a look at the form myself and the rest is history. My first momemt that i remember really getting excited from this pastime was on a saturday a few years back when i had a $10 e/w bet on Qualo at brisbane which i had decided anything i win i will put on Motivate. Qualo won and being new to the game couldnt fathom putting $100 dollars on a horse(i still cant) So i had $20 e/w on Motivate instead, motivate came screaming down the outside only to fall maybe 3 inch's short of an awesome win and a huge payout for me. I think thats what really hooked me.

So anyway, im just a saturday punter, very very rarely will i bet through the week, and i do it purely for the fun after i finish golf on a saturday morning. I dont believe in all these systems and everything that i read about(although im not bagging anyone thats making any money out of them, im just not taking it that seriously at this stage), and basically love picking a winner from doing my own research on a friday/saturday morning.

Topsy99 i to thought umaprince was a great chance saturday so i had a few bucks each way on him and top marc. Although i wish i had my bet from top marc on umaprince instead of the other way around.

Keep up the good work guys.

Cheers....Brett
Old 4th July 2006, 07:33 PM

I must add that like Horse whisperer I am not punting to win my lifes fortune simply don't have that sort of money it is fun for me on a saturday arvo even if a little frustrating
Old 4th July 2006, 08:21 PM

Hi guys.
Real name Leigh(no shock there), 35yo,married with 3 kids, all boys,
eldest 10,twins 7,lived in Bendigo most of my life.Recently moved back
after 2.5 years on the Sunshine Coast (Caloundra).Nice race track up there.
Been doing the Mr.mom thing for last few years while the Mrs works full time.
Mainly been following the nags since then.Got a few things on the go that
are going ok.only with small bets.Before then mainly just bet during the Melbourne spring carnival.
Been to 3 Derby days, 3 Cox Plates and 1 Melbourne Cup all fantastic days.
Hope to go to one of them this year too.
My aim is to make a small but consistant income from racing.I hope so.anyway.
Cheers
Leigh
Old 4th July 2006, 08:34 PM
Suspended.

Smile

Gee ed, you started something warm and fuzzy here [or the crownies did].

Great to see and don't worry about that 'oh my god what have i done' feeling you will have tomorrow:-)) .........I've been there and lets face it we will all be dead soon enough, so a little bit of sharing does as much for us all as a nice 10/1 shot getting up for us. Life's a journey, not a destination and sharing it is as good as it ever gets.

In fact ed, these are the best post[s] I have seen for a very long time. ......Thank you.

Lebbell [Lee]
Old 4th July 2006, 08:45 PM

Talking ok

well my real name is brian. i used to own bread runs (believe it or not). got divorced so got out of the game. now just do relief work. like to work 2-4 days a week no more. dont need it anymore and your dead a long time. got a new lady and we just had a baby boy. so i play mr mom too. although he goes to day care 3 days a week. hehehe. play golf 2 times a week. started of 27 now im off 18. love punting on the horses just for fun and excitement. now got my american sports going. been doing that for 5 years now and going along very well. cant pick afl or nrl to save my life!!! dont know why??? just a typical aussie bloke who loves all sport(lawn bowls could be an exception) thats all folks.

p.s. got a sometimes weird sense of humour so please dont be offended by anything i say. im just a joker and well lets say there is never a boring moment in our house. especially when my lady is a kiwi!!! hehehe