Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 25th May 2012, 11:51 AM

Default Updating my Ratings

Hi all,

As i've commented on some other threads i'm updating my ratings to be automated like Shaun's and figured it would be a good idea to possibly revamp my ratings if there are any thoughts out there that seem logical and haven't been included on my current ratings. First and Foremost i'm interested in what people believe are the elements that most positively effect a horses ability to win a given race. The ones I have in mind so far are:

- Fitness
- Finishing Lengths (last 2 or 3 starts)
- API (As a class indicator)
- Win and possibly Place %'s

Secondary to this I think the following have some smaller influence:

- Form at distance
- Form at track
- Form at conditions (good, dead, slow, heavy)
- Weight

Finally I believe the next few have a minimal influence:

- Barrier
- TAB Rating

I'm at work so these are just what are front of mind at the moment but interested in the thoughts of others. I'm also contemplating including in my ratings not only the horse rating, but a jockey rating as well. Interested in peoples thoughts in this regard sa well and also if there are any sites with decent jockey stats? All i've looked at so far is the cyberhorse site with the runs, wins and place stats and %'s.

All contribution's welcome and appreciated
Old 25th May 2012, 12:14 PM

Smile

Hi evajb01,

Have you considered the number of the starts the horse has had?

Or its age?
Old 25th May 2012, 01:07 PM

I haven't yet and didn't previously. Basically i only plan on applying my ratings to races where all horses have had 3 or more runs previously so hopefully that cuts out a lot of the races with younger horses.

I also plan on basing a lot of the ratings on averages and percentages (i.e. API, win %, place %, etc) so that it avoids overweighting ratings to horses that have had 20 wins on 60 runs and is 9 years old vs a better quality horse thats had 10 runs for 5 wins and is 4 years old.

Hopefully that makes sense and I agree that over-allocating 'points' to horses just because they have had more runs due to their age is something to be avoided.
Old 25th May 2012, 02:12 PM

Hi evajb001

I may be able to offer something to see if it improves things. Email me if you like ubetido one at big pond dot com dot au.

Cheers
U
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways, BEER in one hand- PIZZA in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO!