Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Price Predictor Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 3rd September 2004, 03:36 PM

I've been looking at the average base figure for each race as a measure of the class of the race. Has anyone gone into this? Quite often the ave base of country races seems to be high compared to metropolitan class - certainly higher than using for example Don Scott type base figures.
Old 11th September 2004, 09:39 PM

no coments anyone?
Old 14th September 2004, 02:48 PM
rodml

Hi Shoto
It is an important note. I understand the ave base as generated by the past ratings of the horses in the particular race. Neale could correct me here if wrong. I note the generally accepted nominated classes of the races (not Don Scott's)vary considerably in their AB, although generally in a range. This is more in accordance with the actualities of racing than formal classing, as important as it is.
PPP's ave base is in effect combining recent form of all the horses in the race into the figure. Even within formal classes of races there is a variation according to the current horse quality within them. I think Don Scott includes in his assessments this factor also, beyond his basic race class.
It would be a nice addition to see the ability to sort the races to the nominated classes in the downloaded form, as well as AB. Poor Neale, we want everything!
Anyway, I find the AB very helpful for what it is, in sorting into general standard of race and current horse form within them. It is not a strict uniform classing system as I understand it.

Regards
Old 14th September 2004, 03:08 PM
rodml

Further thought Shoto

If there is a major form component as I'm suggesting, the difference between metro/non-metro AB figures may be because of the slightly more generalised form in non-metro. At metro level, there is IMH a fewer classy runners with more lesser form "triers". Hence overall the AB ave figure could be a bit lower, in similar type races. Just a thought?
Regards.

Old 16th September 2004, 08:29 PM

Hi Rodml,
You are correct - the ave base of the race is from the base rating of each runner, before PP adds/subtracts other things; the base rating reflects recent form. At least this is my understanding.

There might be something in your theory Rod about the evenness of metro/country, but it's still a bit of a mystery for me.

Of those doing ratings, would anyone care to comment on what starting figure they use for the race class?