Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 29th December 2003, 06:27 PM

I was wondering if the online bookies like betfair have ever banned someone because that someone has won too much money from them.I know a few Blackjack players who have been banned in Melbourne but I haven't heard of horse racing gamblers getting banned.
Old 29th December 2003, 09:00 PM

Don't know about the on-line services, but any bookie will ban someone before going broke. Highly succesful punters have to find ways to hide their bets. Its not a problem I have. But I know at least one local punter (retired) who is famed for being once banned by various bookies during a purple patch.

(I also know a family with three generations of bookmakers and note that they are not wealthy people.)

My only problem with on-line services is that Microsoft have put a bit of code in Internet Explorer that makes it freeze or crash as soon as I'm on a winning streak.

Hermes
Old 30th December 2003, 10:34 AM

Betfair will never ban anyone for being too successful as they are still getting their commission - you are winning money off other punters not from Betfair (of course you may get banned if the reason you are winning is because you are cheating!).

I know of numerous people that have been banned or severely restricted (eg. $20 maximum bets!) from Tennis betting with various bookies - generally the ones based in England seem to have the worst reputation for this with the Aussie bookies appearing to be more tolerant of winners.

As far as horse racing there was someone on another forum complaining about edited limiting his racing betting (another English bookie in disguise!) but have never heard of any complaints against IAS. (I think Mark Read is smart enough to realise that a consistantly winning punter is a good thing - they tell you what horses you need to lay off with other bookies!).
Old 1st January 2004, 01:18 PM

IAS might not ban you but on the dogs they will crush back on the tote forcing you to accept massive unders in Tab Ltd. I have ceased betting with IAS on Greyhounds and have now reverted back to betting on the three totes directly.
Old 1st January 2004, 06:32 PM

On course bookmakers in Victoria must accept bets to a certain limit.
Rails bookies must accept bets to take out $5000 at the price showing. Off the rails bookies must accept bets to take out $2000 I think. Country limits are a bit different.
On course bookies cannot refuse anybody's bet up to these limits if they have the prices on their boards.It is a condition of their licence. If they refused you you could go to the bookmakers supervisors and complain.
Online bookies are a different matter however there is no reason for them to limit certain clients. If they are overexposed they simply lay off elsewhere. Mark Read's agents are highly visible on course at all Melbourne meetings.
Old 1st January 2004, 08:33 PM

Agreed, and that's why they will never leave placing the bet up to the jump like the 3 tabs.

They are in a no lose situation whether gallops, trots or dishlickers.
Old 2nd January 2004, 05:16 PM

I see IAS has just dropped Divi+ for Queensland meetings as well - now only available on selected Vic & NSW meetings. :sad:

[ This Message was edited by: becareful on 2004-01-02 17:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: quapi on 2004-01-07 18:09 ]