Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Ratings2Win
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 22nd July 2013, 07:00 AM

Default Ratings2Win - How can it help ME ?

Hi All,

We have just released another update to Axis yesterday and this morning it got me thinking; how can I tell people about it? Im not a sales man, and mostly the things that are used to promote our Axis program are meant to be a 3 line catchy grab and so on. While I understand the need for this, I also see a lot of our ideas go totally unnoticed because of that. Axis is a very involved program; don't get me wrong its easy to use, my 6yo can do it, but there are features that don't often make the 'front page' because Axis can really be everything to everyone; but that can't be summarised into 3 lines.

So my idea is to start this thread, a blog if you like of the new things that are coming into Axis from the perspective of a punter, self-made programer, father, husband .... ME; a normal everyday bloke. Hopefully this will also help YOU. I have been around the traps of punting for close to 2 decades now, most of them full time so I know that there are things that I can help with. I am familiar with the trials and trepidations, fears and failures that most punters encounter, I have been there as has Paul. You can also always visit our website to find out more About Us if you care to know.

So here we go; I hope that you will find the information useful even if you have no intention of using Axis. I will make any points in Italic so watch out for them, they may help! And if you get the crazy notion of partnering up with us, whether it be from here or because of the information you find on our website PLEASE let us know that you have found us through OZmium forums. We insist, they have been great with their support of us and punters in general.

Michal
http://www.ratings2win.com.au/
Old 22nd July 2013, 08:19 AM

Default Objections

I can hear people think, your stuff costs money and you are just trying to flog me something. Why if it’s that good ..... I can get everything free .... all I need is the paper .... I don’t need anything all ....

Sure, all those are valid points, let’s get all of this out of the way in one post because I don't plan to come back to them.

Ratings2Win is a business, yep, we sell things, things like information, tools and ideas and we don't hide that fact; we also give away loads of our time in helping people.

If it’s so great why not keep it to yourself and make money!

We get this often, the answer is easy, and there is more than one; it’s not a mystery or some cover up, just facts. Besides who says that we don't make money?

1. We don't use everything that Axis has to offer, there is just too much for any one/few hundred people to use. The worse thing anyone can do is to spread too thin! Try to do too much and you'll end up losing focus. For instance there is the possibility of using, in many ways, up to 18 different ratings/ranks in Axis. 9 of them are our proprietary unique ratings offering different angles, 4 of them are publicly available like API and so on and up to 5 can be ratings of any description privately imported into Axis by the client. If you think that we have the time and energy to tap all of those possibilities to even half of its capabilities, you would be wrong!
  2. We have our personal unique ways of using Axis; both Paul and I are different in the way that we use the information, and the rest just sits there. So it’s available for other to use in their own unique ways and you would be helping to develop the program further with ideas and subscription (financial) support to the benefit of everyone.
  3. For us, this is not an academic pursuit, we don't have jobs to fall back on, we use Axis for punting and live and breathe by our ratings successes. So we have total commitment to our products (Axis and SRA), the information within them and to our clients. If something goes wrong it isn't just the clients that suffer, we are right there with them, so we make darn sure that this doesn't happen. Same with functionality of Axis, if it’s a good idea and we use it; it’s available to our clients. We don't have the selfish notion of keeping the best for ourselves!
  4. Once your punting gets into 4 figure sums all bookies begin to dislike you as a successful punter with a passion, so there is a very real ceiling on what we can bet without being forced to take the lowest ******** sucking prices that many bookies force you to take as they restrict you. Liquidity in some races is also an issue. Anyone that tells you otherwise isn’t realistic. Wait till you get there, you’ll see, but it’s a nice problem to have.
Finally the cost, everything is free and I don’t have to pay for anything to be successful.

OK, never said it has to be one way only, if you have the time; to gather free information, program spreadsheets and do research with paper and pen or any combination of there off and you don’t mind the wasted hours doing something that takes minutes in Axis then our products are not for you, and I respect your tenacity. Been there, done that; my hat off to you. Unfortunately there are also many hundreds of people just like you using the same free resources and have been for years, you are up against some very smart people with some very smart tools. If time is a valued commodity for you then using a tool like Axis can speed up EVERYTHING using the unique information/tools that most don’t have access to. Produce long term research without errors and without relying on others. Develop profitable systems with long term, large sample resulting evidence in hours not months or just to get today’s data with a click of a button. What is the cost of the time saved? If nothing else, invest the same time and get hundred times more benefit for it. So it’s worth it IMO because of the tools and time and uniqueness of/and information.

It’s also worth it because of what it can save you on the punt directly. Axis is a multi level value product. There are several subscriptions to choose from so as to match your level of punting. If you bet $10 the obviously paying for the Professional subscription is crazy but there is always the Classic version for you. If you bet in hundreds the Professional subscription is very affordable. Our goal is to arm our clients with the necessary tools, information, knowledge, education and understanding that enables them to profit from racing on a consistent basis (our mission statement). What if that saves you a few loosing bets a month and god forbid picks up extra winners? You have payed off Axis without really spending a cent extra.

When people compare costs and benefits of AXIS they do so within the limiting framework of what they do now, while I understand I can assure you using Axis will change your punting!

Last edited by Michal : 22nd July 2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 22nd July 2013, 03:39 PM

Personal Ratings Import

Is the latest function that extends the analytical power of Axis. This function offers the ability to test, include in systems and analyse ratings that are not native to Axis. Any rating. Be it a price or a value, Axis now has the frame work to enable you to fully utilise that import in the program.

Do you create your own ratings? Do you collect Racing and Sports ratings? Unitab? Sky ratings? Early markets? Other free ratings? Do you buy something that arrives in a file or a spreadsheet? Right, most of us collect or create something; we all understand the value of unique information. Do you know what the performance figures are for that ‘something’? I’m not just talking about the top pick strike rate or something like that, that’s important, but even that changes, so are you using something that you had analysed a few years ago and are you still going by those findings, are you accepting your ratings providers word on what the strike rate is or was in 2003?

It’s sad that many punters use ratings or information without having exact information about even just the above mentioned overall performance. If they do, then they most certainly don’t know how that information behaves over different distance, track condition, race class and when it’s integrated and leveraged against others and so on and so on.

It has been my pet project; as a punter I know how important it is to be able to confidently answer the above questions. Early on I spent a full year developing a spreadsheet that created speed ratings, it was epic and at the end I couldn’t tell you what the strike rate was. I was just like most punters, I believed that it was good and I had no way of analysing it. I did at the end and it was good but the point here is; if you don’t know and you don't have the skill or time to build something that can analyse what you are using then the question is; what are you really doing with it? I learned the hard way, you don’t have to.

Being able to analyse a rating is important because it is my belief that ratings are the last bastion of profit for punters. EVERYONE has access to some kind of analysis of form, books, programs, generous answers on forums and so on which makes the point; everyone, for many years has had the ability to siphon anything worthwhile out of ‘The Form’. It has now been reduced to just being a framework on which to hang something else that has the ability to create an edge. A PERFORMANCE RATING. Makes no difference how you get to it, it is the only unique piece of info that is limited to only those that get it unlike Form which is available to everyone.

Axis has the ability to deliver 9 ratings that each target a different edge and are produced differently (I’ll deal with ratings later). Further we pass on the usual API, Win, Place rank and Handicapper rating. So that is up to 13 ratings/ranks to begin with. Now comes extra 5 for you to import from elsewhere. Remember we don’t supply the rating, we provide the framework and mechanism to import it and to use it. Think about the leverage you create by having so many different ‘opinions’ about a horse. The axis ratings are enough but these extra 5 add a whole new level. Their consensus value can be used to create a new consolidated rating based on your importance settings. This alone has almost limitless possibilities. Using systems, you can identify selections that involve more than one ratings tick of approval; what do you think the chances are of a horse that is on top of 18 different ratings? You can find out. Because all that information including your 5 ratings can be tested and analysed so you know exactly how they interact with one another, and what are the combinations that are profitable and in what situations?

Using Axis you will know in minutes. It takes about 3 min to test a year’s worth of data and the same to fully analyse it across about 120 factors. You don’t have to guess or search, the analysed results are presented to you on a platter. Axis has the ability to unlock information and combinations that are user unique that others have no possible way of having access to. That is how you can develop an edge.
Old 24th July 2013, 06:58 AM

Default Records

Do you keep records ?

If not then perhaps you don't need to read any further, but then again may be you should; every successful punter keeps records, those that don't are not as successful as they could be, and that is a fact! Many a smart man in our history has said something along the lines of:

'Those that fail to learn from mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat the same mistakes in the future'.

I would add that those that don't look at their past successes may be domed to miss those successes in the future. Your past punting history is filled with wins and losses, many of them. If you are to become the best punter that you can be it is imperative that you know where your strengths and weaknesses are and emphasise your strengths and either work on or avoid your weaknesses. Unless you keep records of your punting, which includes bets and money management then I can assure you that your punting is not as successful as it could be even if you are winning.

I don't think that I need to explain the money management side too much it makes sense doesn't it? Know where you started, where you are now and there is your outcome in real dollars; the real reason we all do this. While that is a rather simple way of looking at it as a minimum that will do, if you bet on credit and or with many bookmakers then your needs will be more sophisticated, and we are looking at assisting punters in that regards in the future as well.

Before we get an uproar of people grabbing onto the fact that punters bet on credit with bookies, let me explain that that is a very normal and sound money management strategy most big punters adopt. You keep your money in the bank, earning interest and you settle once a week with the bookie; otherwise you would need to tie up large capital in several accounts in order to be able to optimise your dividend selection (price shopping) across several betting agencies, this also keeps you under their radar for longer due to the randomness of bet that you place with them.

So while money management is obvious, keeping a track of your bets is something that most punter fail to do. Using your TAB account to keep track of your bets is ..... well next to pointless except for a cursory glance. I can assure you that all bookies have a far better grasp of your punting then you; that is a fact, they analyse your bets for patterns like you have no idea. If it’s good for the bookie then it must be good for the punter right? There is no understating this; the reason you keep records is so that you can analyse them later and see where you can improve. A punter needs to know exactly where he is betting, what sort of selections are his optimum bets and which bets he should avoid and everything in between. You have spreadsheets as a minimum in which to do this so there is no excuse! Start today if you haven't already.

Axis offers the ability to refine records keeping using our Personal Horse Flags (PHF). This gives our clients the ability to quickly and effectively mark horses for later analysis. The whole reason for keeping the records is so that you CAN analyse them later. Let’s say that you mark your best bets with a '1' and your spec. bets may be with a '2'. Now after a while you can go to the analyser and analyse your betting. Learn where the strengths and weaknesses are, see what races to avoid, what distances to let go off or what jockeys for instance give you the best results, whatever you can think of in the context of form and ratings can be analysed in Axis. About 120 or so filters or analysis markers if you like can be seen at a click of a button. No one can tell me that their punting would not improve under that sort of scrutiny. If you are betting $100 per selection then just one saved dud bet a month pays for the subscription without taking any other benefits that you gain from Axis into account. Just one bet saved; I would wager that most of you would be surprised with what you would find. By the way the Personal Horse Flags are available even in the Classic version, we don't want you to miss out if you are just starting and are on a tight budget! This ability is a gift that just keeps on giving, the more data you have the more it will tell you.

There may be other programs that allow you to do this, with one major flaw; they assume that you start with them from scratch! Start today and mark you bets; what about the years worth of bets that you have in a spreadsheet? May be you could go and manually enter them? LOL that is one way, the other is to take your list of bets and import them into Axis and analyse them there and then instantly knowing what benefits you can gain from your partnership with ratings2win and Axis. We don't want you to wait for months to gather evidence if you already have it. The main reasons why punters don't keep records, is that they have no way of doing anything with them anyway! It's a shame but if you have records then use them. Now! If you don't have them, then start gathering. Now!

We even allow you to do this while you are in 14 day money back guarantee period. Why not, you should have by now realised that we are transparent and realistic in our approach to everything; so take the program for a spin, import your bets (it’s real easy as long as you have some basic data identifying the horse and when it ran), analyse them and sit back and uncover the, up to now hidden, truths about your betting method/s in the cold hard reality of our analysis report.

Last edited by Michal : 24th July 2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 25th July 2013, 11:30 AM

Default A note to self Part 1

A Note to Self: BACK this horse next time it runs.

No prizes for guessing that today's piece is about leaving notes for yourself as a reminder of something that the horse did or something that you should do next time it runs. Those things are called Comments and Black book and believe it or not it's a 2 part post.

The Black Book

One of the issues I had when I was starting out was that the program that I was using didn't have a black book, and looking around I couldn't find one that did what I wanted to do. So I did what most people do and used one of the many free online reminders that send you your black book via email and SMS; which turned out to be useless because I would forever forget about them. This was because they came NOT at the time I needed them but mostly a day before or other inconvenient time and as everyone knows unless you have everything in front of you, things get left behind in the organised confusion that most Saturday mornings turn out to be; and they of course go on to win. The other issue is keeping the blasted thing up to date; the logging in, typing and spelling, deleting and so on. A hassle all around!

So I turned all that around in our R2W Axis. Firstly the Axis Black Book has the capability to black book more; Horses, Jockeys, Trainers, Jockeys & Horses combos and Trainer & Jockey combos. Anyone that is just a little racing savvy will see the obvious benefits in having the ability to black book all those possible entities. Horses are obvious. I use jockeys and trainers to not only know when my short list of good ones are racing but also to let me know when they seam to travel for no apparent reason outside their jurisdiction for a one off race. Same goes for time when a certain Jock rides a certain horse or when a certain Trainer engages a certain jockey, these are situations that transmit a clear message "This horse is running on its merits today" or "this is just a training run".

Most Black Books go by the wayside because of the efforts required to maintain them. I mean what is the point of booking horses when you end up with a truck load of them; after a while you stop looking at the list! Axis has the capability of setting an expiry date (or not) so that the program will delete the bookers for you. Automatically. Some you might want to keep indefinitely, like a fave horse or a jockey but most you want to keep for a short while and then let go. Keeping the book current and relevant is most important; expire or indefinite, the duration is up to you and you can always prune the list the old fashion way anyway.

So when do you actually get reminded? Right at the time that you need it! When you load a day, a list of all your black bookers running that day pops up including your comment if you have one. Also as you look/study each race in the Race Day Portal if you have a booker then it's marked for you. You will not miss a thing!

To enter a black book 'entity' you can do it from the Race Day Portal without typing anything other then your comment with a click of a button so spelling is not an issue!

Easy as, a thinking punters black book!

Last edited by Michal : 25th July 2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 28th July 2013, 10:24 AM

Hi Michal,

Tayjack here, your posts regarding axis is extremely well explained and as i am on the lookout for a programme that delivers what you have explained, how do i go about gettting more info regarding it, or even having a demo somehow, i have seen the video demo, just wondering how i can go into it more? Looking to set up the professional suite.
Regards - TJ
Old 29th July 2013, 06:24 PM

Hi Tayjack

Thanks for your enquiry, in terms of becoming more familiar with our software and it's capabilities we can provide you with links to additional new videos and materials. A live demo of the program (via skype) can also be organized.
Send us your contact email or phone number using http://www.propun.com.au/contact/ (mention in the message that its in regards to R2W Axis) and we will get you the additional material.

Michal
Old 29th July 2013, 07:10 PM

Default A note to self Part 2

Part 2 - Back this horse next time it runs in a suitable race.

This is the second part of our post about leaving notes for yourself as a reminder of something that the horse did and in turn for something that you should do next time it runs. We have dealt with Black Book and how Axis can help you there. In this part we will cover Comments.

Making Comments

Unless we are talking about small notations that you might enter as you are black booking a horse, race / video comments are only generally recorded by professional punters. For the professional punter that records comments for each horse in each race, we have developed a module within Axis named "Axis Pro Functions" that is the result of extended consultation with several professional punters who make race/video comments frequently. This simple yet powerful facility allows them to perform this function with a minimum of fuss and has the ability to sort and organise the information using several but relevant ways to assist them. It even allows for clients to swap comments between themselves.

Not all of us will have the time and resources to do this however it is still possible to utilise comments in Axis through the Race Day Portal (the software's main interface) even if you just want to remind yourself occasionally of something to jog your memory later. You don't have to be a 'pro' but a reminder of a track bias, state of the 'fence' a bad run or a 'forget run' notation for a horse can remind you later where you would otherwise forget, especially with the amount of racing today. You don’t have to comment on every horse, race or meeting, but you can, and you can easily distinguish between and enter meeting, race or a single horse comment. Of course you can at any time edit or delete a comment as necessary.

Making a comment is an art form in itself. We have come across some less experienced clients that make the mistake of entering too much detail into their comments. This is a waste of time both in terms of reading and writing apart from which it uses additional computer resources to both save and/or retrieve the data.

Take a look at this horse comment: “Blasted out of the barriers, eyeballed the leaders 3 wide, kicked at the turn and courageously battled on just beaten on the line.”

Very detailed and it paints a picture when you read it! Firstly it took time to write, more importantly it takes time to read and comprehend and when you have to read 16 of these just to compare horses last starts from just one race you’d better watch the clock so that the race does not start before you are finished reading. Comments like these serve no benefit to you. If you intend to make comments on a even a semi-regular basis then you need to be consistent about the way you make them. Consistency is the cornerstone of punting and it applies to making comments just the same as to betting or anything else. Your comments should have a structure which answers the necessary questions as to what happened in the race. Let’s breakdown the above comment and see what relevant information we can extract from it.

The first part deals with how the horse began, next with what happened in running and lastly what happened at the turn and in the straight. It is also a good idea to read the stewards reports so that you can note of any important information that occurred post race or identify something that you might have missed in running. Further, we have no need to write words when a few acronyms make reading speedy and precise. So the ideal format for horse comment is “START,INRUNNING,TURN/STRAIGHT,AFTER”.

The format together with acronyms turns our above lengthy comment into: Jg h3w kt bog Ok .... I think I need an interpreter please! Here is what that means; “Jumped good, handy 3wide, kicked (at the turn) boxed on good ” Now that is much faster and easier to digest.

You can just make these comments only when something important happens because commenting on how every horse jumps is wasting your time as most horses jump OK. Just like any other language in a few weeks you’ll understand your own version of abbreviated comments with absolute fluidity. You will be able to record them quickly and read them just as fast saving you valuable time. Now you have the ability to open doors that were previously not available due to all of this extra condensed information. It takes work in order achieve the results that most don't, but it's doing what others don't or won’t that sets successful punters from those who make up the losing statistics. Axis provides these and other necessary tools that are not available in other racing software packages, tools that will transform your punting and assist to keep you in front of the game.

Last edited by Michal : 29th July 2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 8th August 2013, 12:13 PM

Default Knowing the best Dividend option.

Hi All,

We are about to release an upgrade to Axis that has in it amongst other things the ability to use Betfair and Internet Fixed Price in betting simulations going back our entire length of the database. So now we have SP, Internet Starting Price, NSW, VIC, QLD totes, Best Tote, SP/NSW, BestTote/SP, Internet Fixed Price and Betfair from which we can construct a betting scenario. We have LAY and BACK methods with flat or proportional bet size based on constant, up/down or up only bank size. This covers all professional and common staking scenarios.

Why do I cover this? The reason is that the punter must have the ability to know where the best price is. It may not be obvious to everyone, but your punting method can be greatly improved by 2 things; knowing where your best price is likely to be and knowing what the risks to your bank are. Sure it's easy to drop a phrase like "just get the best price".

Knowing WHERE, that is the issue, because the best price can change with each method that you use and it also changes the longer you use the method. The advice is that there should always be a realistic expectation about your ability to sustain you betting activity.

Using 'Best of Best' as your div for instance is deceptive. You'll hit reality; after a few successful bets you'll get the Dear Punter letter. If you are a winning punter with any real aspirations you must have profitable systems that uses the lower and more basic betting products because that is where you will end up. In this situation it is critical to know what betting options produce what outcomes and you need this information upfront. You may not believe or accept the above admonition however, after you go through the entire family opening accounts in different names and getting mates to bet for you ect. ect.; you will end up in the Pro territory. Here, 'Best of Best' is who YOU are, not a betting product that you can obtain.

You don't have to use Axis which makes this very easy, do your own research. I'll give you some quick examples as to how this "WHERE" changes based on some real live tests.

The Test: Our Favourite System selections for 2013 (these were all live bets available on our site and later here on this forum) lets go with a $1,000 bank and simple 1% ($10) starting bet on bank high. The results are; Bets 574 wins 276, Strike rate 48.1% (these don't change)

Code:
NSW Tote : 3.26% POT Profit $216 QLD Tote : 2.45% POT Profit $166 VIC Tote : 2.12% POT Profit $139 Middle Tote : 2.59% POT Profit $170 Best Tote : 7.17% POT Profit $583 SP : 4.5% POT Profit $307 Sp/NSW : 8.7% POT Profit $672 Betfair : 8.15% POT Profit $625 (commission calculated) ISP : 6.33% POT Profit $470 IFP : 12.02% POT Profit $1,073 BOB : 14.86% POT Profit $1,403

So the above covers some of the basic and more advanced betting products. Here are some of the issues that have risen from this simple test.

- QLD tote is not the best priced tote in this situation, even though bookies avoid it in their betting products.
- Middle tote is just a waste of time with no real benefit, this would also relate to anyone spreading their bet across the 3 totes in hope of equalizing the differences.
- Betfair still has an advantage here and on the favourite it is realistic that you'll get matched.
- SP is the worse of the fixed prices, you would be better off taking the median internet fixed price from corporate bookies as shown by our ISP

The best realistic price for this system is our Internet Fixed Price (IFP) to replicate this open several online accounts and then back the horse at the best fixed price you can get just before the jump. It works for this system, and the advantage is enormous, however, from experience I can assure you that with other systems, IFP is one of the worse options you can take.

Do you know the best betting option for your system/method?

Last edited by Michal : 8th August 2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12th August 2013, 10:56 AM

Default New Update

Hi All

We have just released a new update that, among other improvements, extends the Axis dividend pool to also include Betfair and a Fixed Price as available online. This opens up a whole lot of possibilities for our system testing and betting analysis and of course includes a Lay betting analysis that uses actual Betfair Prices so as to give a far more accurate guide to what the results of lay systems might be. The prices mentioned above have been back dated to the beginning of our data. The workload involved to get results for our 570,000+ past horse records was quite a task as you can imagine, however we felt that such data was very useful to have and and making it available 'onward only' would have been a job half done.

The main reason of my post today is to let you know that the update which contained all that work for us is still FREE. As is every Axis update. Once you purchase your Axis or licence extension at a certain subscription level; YOU WILL NEVER PAY FOR ANOTHER UPDATE AGAIN. Your ongoing investment is just your consumable data. The only time you'll pay more for the program is when you want to upgrade to a greater functionality.

This ensures 2 things. Firstly we don't penalise our loyal long term clients by making them pay and pay for program development over the years that they are with us, while only requiring new clients to purchase at current prices. Secondly this means that everyone pays the same to have the same functionality and data. If you start at a Classic level and upgrade to Professional, your program cost will be the same as a client who purchased professional version day one.

Our goal is to develop relationships with our clients and partners that are long term, successful, mutually profitable and fair.

Last edited by Michal : 12th August 2013 at 11:00 AM.