Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 20th November 2013, 10:16 PM

Default New to horse racing

G'day

I have recently taken an interest in horse racing after years of betting on sports with decent success.
I have been studying form guides for the last month, making hypothetical picks and just getting a basic understanding.

I'm hoping you guys could point me in the direction of where I can find info on jockey/trainers form, trends and some of the main things you look for when making your picks.

I have a good understanding of bankroll management and plan to bet within the limits my bankroll allows me. Line and margin bets are my bread and butter when betting on sports, I'm interested on which type of bets you guys generally place.

Apologies on all the questions in my first post here, but I haven't had much luck searching for the answers online and the punters I know don't look much further than recent form and barrier draw of a horse and are not much help.

Appreciate any advice, thanks in advance
Old 21st November 2013, 09:32 AM

Smile

Welcome Greenhorn,

Suggest you look at Racenet website for Jockey and Trainer information. It also has very good information on the racetracks.

Others will point you in to the right direction with your punting.
Old 21st November 2013, 09:48 AM

Old 21st November 2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
G'day
I'm hoping you guys could point me in the direction of where I can find info on jockey/trainers form, trends and some of the main things you look for when making your picks.

Greenhorn, this place is a treasure trove of shared knowledge, experience, trials, tribulations, successes, hunches, experimentation and suggestions on strategy etc My only bit of advice is be active in your search on a daily basis, here ie use the Advanced Search facility on the menu bar.

Look, and you will find!

LG
Old 21st November 2013, 10:05 AM

Yes welcome Greenhorn,
How did you go over the Carnival with your 'hypothetical picks' ?
Old 21st November 2013, 11:36 AM
Banned

http://www.racingandsports.com.au/en/ is a useful site for jockey trainer info as well as form.

One bit of advice I would impart is tread carefully - I tried to dabble in sports betting a few years back after a particularly bad run on the punt & just couldnt make the adjustment. Very different beasts imho.
Old 21st November 2013, 02:31 PM
Banned

Smile

The other thing with Horse Racing in particular is to get acquainted with the Consumer Affairs and ACCC websites.
Could save you thousands in the long run.

Cheers.
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
G'day

I have recently taken an interest in horse racing after years of betting on sports with decent success.
I have been studying form guides for the last month, making hypothetical picks and just getting a basic understanding.

I have a good understanding of bankroll management and plan to bet within the limits my bankroll allows me. Line and margin bets are my bread and butter when betting on sports, I'm interested on which type of bets you guys generally place.

Apologies on all the questions in my first post here, but I haven't had much luck searching for the answers online and the punters I know don't look much further than recent form and barrier draw of a horse and are not much help.

Hi Greenhorn,

In terms of jockey and trainer intel, I rely on the stats that are generated from my database as the data strings that I use are designed to ask the questions that I want answered at the click of a button. If you are looking for free information the the R&S website is as good as any.

Personally, most of my betting is for the win with some more scant place value bets appearing occasionally. My approach is based around a theme that relies on a high strike rate and low variance. Why? Because the impact of strike rate on any betting strategy is such that it's easier to make a long term success of punting if you utilize a strategy based on a higher strike rate. This does not mean that you cannot profit from strike rates that are lower but the math suggests that it is more difficult to do so.

I have written a post previously that details somewhat the way I approach the task of form analysis. If you are interested you can click the following link.

http://forums.ozmium.com.au/showthread.php?t=26677

I wish you all the best in your endeavors. If I can assist further please feel free to contact me.

Paul Daily - Ratings2Win Pty Ltd (Director)
R2W Axis - Axis is Australia's leading horse racing software and database; with sophisticated form analysis tools and accurate performance ratings that include Hong Kong.
http://www.ratings2win.com.au/
Old 22nd November 2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands
Yes welcome Greenhorn,
How did you go over the Carnival with your 'hypothetical picks' ?

Maybe not so good !?
Old 22nd November 2013, 07:41 PM

Thumbs up Welcome Greenhorn!

My advice in a nutshell:

- Get a grip on different race classes, weights and race types, WFA, Set weights, handicaps, Fillies and Mares only etc.
- Stick to quality races with exposed form, minimum 4 starts each runner
- Personally I bet only at NSW, VIC courses and on Saturdays, in Brisbane
- Understand that pace plays a massive role in who will win a race. If you like a horse that generally settles at the back of the field, make sure there's a high chance of there being some pace upfront. Conversely, it's best that your horse doesn't get stuck in an epic speed battle up front if it's a natural leader.
- Choose races where all horses are $3+ in betting.
- Track conditions do matter. Some horses need it bone dry, others want it heavy to show their best. Make sure your selection/s have run well in the conditions or add 3 points to your minimum price if they haven't run in them as yet.
- Good horses and good rides win races, hype doesn't
- Understand the risk of losing runs and stake accordingly
- Don't chase losses.
- Paper trade or bet minimal stakes for at least 6 months before getting involved with serious money.
- Become an expert, whether it's in ratings, assessing video replays, sprint races, distance races or in one particular racing State.

This is a good start.

I also recommend these websites:
RACERATE - systems, ratings and excellent articles
RACING RADIO NETWORK REPLAYS - replays of all VIC races and NSW races on Wed/Sat only
RACENET - racing articles
RACINGANDSPORTS FORM GUIDE - my favourite form guide

Go get 'em Greenhorn!!

"I buy when other people are selling.”
― J. Paul Getty