Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 1st November 2005, 10:00 PM

Default THE GREATEST OF ALL

Truly the great mare makybe diva is the greatest, i have thought this for along time and today just proves everything. she smashed records all over the place. she went from 2 melb cups to a 1400m race which she won then to win the cox plate and follow it up with record breaking weight and creating history in a third consecutive melb cup. all i cay san is she is a true champion and there wont be another to replace her in my mind..

cheers to the diva on a truly memorable career.........
Old 1st November 2005, 10:53 PM

Thumbs up agree, fantastic horse, but...

How did we wake up this morining with a DEAD track? I am beside myself how this could be allowed to happen. I would be VERY VERY dirty if i were an opposing trainer. Fair enough, the decision was a good economic one, extra 20K people because makybe's there, but is it really fair to the little trainer who cannot put so much pressure on the committee? It seems like bad sportsmanship to me.

Another thing, is it just me or has Makybe won the race over the last three years exactly the same way! Bailed up on the fence, six off the leader, then the heavens magically open and she gets a soloon pasage! I have never seen so much luck in my whole life but they do say hard work makes luck. Maybe bossy has an odour of something! Gauchi was tracking him on turn, and went to the outside losing 3 lengths while bossy stayed close to rail, could have cost him the race, but how could he know the heavens would once again open for Makybe! Maybe it was just meant to be.

not that im complaining, i jagged the tri for a half with my workmates (split 4 ways), dirty I didnt put a F4 on though. I did have On a Jeune on top as well though, so would have liked it the other way.

Comparisons to Pharlap, I dont think so. Compare the two stories and legends of Makybe and Pharlap. I really do struggle to feel any emotion for the win and racing is at my heart. i marvel at the feat of the horse, but not the story.

PharLap:
A horse nobody wanted
Poor breeding
Struggling Trainer, poor facilities
average owners
a time of desperate need
carried 6kg over WFA to win cup
Won a G1 on every day of cup winning carnival, cantering
Won over 70% of starts

Makybe:
Well bred
Passed in at Auction, because santic wanted a bigger profit
Owned by a man worth a squillion
Trained by the countries best trainer in the best facilities
Won cup carrying 2.5 kg over WFA, her third in a row
Won 30% of starts

Lets not get carried away, just enjoy the event and the national celebration of racing in this country.
Old 1st November 2005, 11:35 PM

Sorry Tarbs mate but i can't let you away with that.

You ARE complaining - full stop.
Phar Lap is a legend, not one person here or anywhere is disputing that fact.
On a Juene was a great run, i was very impressed with the way the horse hit the line after 2 mile.

However mate this horse has just won three, yes three, Melbourne Cups plus a couple of other insignificant little races to boot, Cox Plate a couple of days ago springs to mind.

You tell me when we will ever see that again and by whom and i will apologise for tackling you on this issue.
Old 1st November 2005, 11:48 PM

I agree, as I said in my post, that it was a great feat, the likes of which may not be surpassed for a long time.

I am just saying the 'story' of makybe diva does not grab me, like say perhaps if Lieca Falcan had won, and went onto be a great stayer. i just love the underdog and the battler i suppose.

Perhaps it will in the coming weeks, just my initial thoughts
Old 2nd November 2005, 12:17 AM

And you're perfectly entitled to them Tarbs,

I'm just coming from the opposing camp that thinks she is great, i doubt i will ever see anything like her again soon.

Although i bet Santic is happy he wanted more money for her at the sales, turns out it was the correct decision!

What will her off-spring be worth crossed with a Zabeel or some such leading sire?
Old 2nd November 2005, 12:21 AM

Thumbs up

Boss can cry all he wants...got the track conditions and pace that he wanted...if he didnt win I reckon there would have been a lot of people wanting to make him cry...hehe...The Diva is a great horse no doubt but not too sure about the greatest...personally I backed her all to win cos thought it wasnt the best field and yes I think shes good...made a bit of $$$ off her lol! Mind you thought they may as well have given it to her not complaining though!
Old 2nd November 2005, 12:38 AM

Oke Doke,

Not wanting to start a ranting and raving contest but name a better horse than her running around in this country at the moment?
Old 2nd November 2005, 12:47 AM

i dont care what you ppl say she is the greatest... the melb cup is a feature race all around the world and this mare has won it 3 times. smashing records from everywhere... she went from 3200 down to 1400 bak to 2040 and then bak 3200...
Old 2nd November 2005, 09:04 AM
Suspended.

The best horse won on the day from a very average field [where the real talent was too young and inexperienced for the race] and we all saw history being made, but boy-o-boy lets not start comparing the Diva to Pharlap. 3 Melb. cups is awesome for that race [only] but the Cup is a canter for most of the race and then a 600m sprint and I forget the last time it was truly run. 3 Cox Plates would have been far more impressive.

Lets look at 'Might and Power' perhaps, due to similar start/win history ?

Might and Power 33: 15.7.1
23 group races for 11 wins
G1 starts 14 and won 7
G2 starts 6 and won 3
G3 starts 3 and won 1

Makybe Diva 36: 15.4.3
25 group starts for 11 wins
G1 starts 14 for 8 wins
G2 starts 9 for for 3 wins
G3 starts 2 for nil wins

Lets not get carried away or even start mentioning Pharlap [or a heap of other greats]

Pharlap only won 1 Melb. Cup, so what ?
Old 2nd November 2005, 09:12 AM

Thumbs up

Interesting thread here guys... I have to agree with Tarbs about the track condition at least. why would anyone have the sprinklers working on a dead track? Excellent prefers firmer ground and the connections were hoping for high winds, sunny day and a dry track...i dont know about On A Jeune..but is is shades of Moorabbin footy club and the heavy watering the night before every home game, when St KIlda were wooden spooners, and used the mud to slow down the opposition.

Makybe Diva won easily and had everything going for her. Amazing record now that will be next to impossible to beat or equal. WE are truly lucky to witness such a great horse, and Pharlap is still the better horse in my book.

Last edited by w924 : 2nd November 2005 at 09:23 AM.