Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 29th February 2012, 03:42 PM

u r a "dinosaur" mate......u r stuck in the 50-60's.
Who are the big spenders today...."Gen Y" or are you so out of touch that you haven't grasped this reality?
Also, I believe the 21st century facilities of some of our race-clubs are under-utilised. Their marketing dept should be targeting weddings, conferences which provide turnover for otherwise "quiet" periods.
In other words these facilities should be active every day of the week.

Cheers.
Old 29th February 2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I merely think a more modern atmosphere to enjoy the racing would be great.

No more long black in a paper cup take-away?
Old 29th February 2012, 04:59 PM

Many race clubs utilize their facilities as often as they can.

I've been to both my daughters graduation nights at Caulfield race course, many exhibitions at a number of race courses including Caulfield, Sandown and Mornington here in Melbourne to name a few.

― Earl Nightingale
Old 29th February 2012, 05:04 PM

Race track attendance has certainly become very seasonal. I know Caulfield (perhaps due to it's location and easy public transport) manages to attract quite a few non-racing events. They are big buildings and big spaces though and you wonder how much need there is for this type of space given the better equiped purpose built event spaces that are available.

You wonder how Moonee Valley hangs on. If one was to go that would surely be it.
Old 29th February 2012, 05:12 PM

Wink

u r right mate, I, personally have had many enjoyable days at that track and likewise M.V. so I have no complaints.
There are so many options for the big spending "Gen Y," rather arrogant(imo) "highflyers" that I personally don't want to be a part of it.

Cheers.
Old 29th February 2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norisk
Combination of mostly 1) & a little of 2)

But I often wonder if I have taken the more difficult route, as I can honestly say I do not recall the last time I went to the races with just a pen & a bit of cash, paid $5 for a racebook & came home with less in my pocket than I went with.

If I could find a way to get myself to the races most days of the week I reckon I would have this game down cold...loan of a helicopter anyone

I reckon you should take a couple of weeks off (I assume you're working) and follow the roadshow around the state. I'm not sure where you're from but in Victoria you would have a race meeting to go to every day (except maybe Mondays).

You could clean up.

― Earl Nightingale
Old 29th February 2012, 06:06 PM

Yes I have been to a number of functions at Caulfield as well, like graduations etc.
In fact their facilities are excellent.
I think the problem lies all in the marketing.
Their marketing vision is quite confused and is not hitting the spot.

For example: the free day that Black Caviar had at Caulfield was well known amongst racing circles, some others knew of it, but they certainly didn't market it well enough nor capitalize enough on it.

I also think they need to separate the events audience from the racing audience.
At present they are attracting a majority of audiences that are binge drinking party animals who will be there until they have responsibilities and mortgages.
They are also not regular racegoers.

It seems they've given up on regular crowds and are looking to make the dough in one week a year with sponsorships and over priced entry and booze.

They forget that the binge goers will never go more than once a year and have it set in the back of their minds that going to the races is very expensive before they even have a bet, if they ever do.

I agree, get that generation into the venues for concerts, parties, weddings, other functions.
The whole racing concept is something entirely different.

But then again with all the anti gambling ads, and all the anti gambling warnings between every single race, is it any wonder people turn off.
Maybe it helps some people, but it destroys my enjoyment of the races.

A bit like going to the drag races and having a loud announcement ad of Speed Kills between every race for 30 seconds.
Or every lap of Bathurst.

Anyway, I think they need to market racing, ownership, apprenticeships, offer more on racedays. Allow marquees of stud farms, TAFE courses, syndications, etc etc.

Or pretty soon except for Carnival week, we will have Moonee Valley slots, like the USA.
*RaceCensus now updated to 30/04/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 29th February 2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ocho
I reckon you should take a couple of weeks off (I assume you're working) and follow the roadshow around the state. I'm not sure where you're from but in Victoria you would have a race meeting to go to every day (except maybe Mondays).

You could clean up.

Read my mind The Ocho, planning to spend my next holidays roaming around Victoria as with a little planning one can usually get from one track to the next within a reasonable amount of time.

& had a laugh at the comments about Mooney Valley as it was the first Melbourne track I went to maybe 20 years ago & yeh I am sure that is the same carpet - Its a great little track but needs a major face-lift.
Old 29th February 2012, 07:00 PM

Smile

Isn't Moonee Valley being pulled down and rebuilt after the Cox Plate this year?

Surely they won't re-use the same old carpet!

Hopefully the new amenities will cater for all needs.
Old 29th February 2012, 07:45 PM
Banned

Question

Interesting we haven't heard yet from MR RUBBLE,
The original author of this thread.

Hope your ok Barny and what do you think of some,
Of the interesting ideas thrown around by the members.

Cheers.