Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 15th October 2012, 05:02 PM

Default How many lengths does a horse save on the fence

I've always wondered how many lengths are saved by a horse travelling on the fence compared with a horse one out .....

I can picture the can of worms unravelling right now in front of my eyes, but there must be a rule of thumb that gives the unwashed (me) half a clue ..... or do I need to go and get my Trig book out ??

Shocking's win in the Melb Cup, had it run no more than one out all the way probs would have won by 10 lengths ???

Last edited by Barny : 15th October 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 15th October 2012, 07:07 PM
Vortech

Depends if he bought the fence from Bunnings or Mitre 10.
Generally the fence at each track is a standard height so that horse wouldn't be saving much $$$$.
Old 15th October 2012, 08:06 PM

Smile

Hi Barny/Vortech,

If you think of it logically a horse does not cover any extra ground when running in a straight line. It is only on the bends where a horse will cover extra ground.

Hence we need to consider the configuration of the track. Courses such as MV and Canterbury which are tight turning tracks the ground covered would be greater than say Randwick or Flemington.

Saying all this it is interesting to hear some of the jockeys riding the International horses saying the horses prefer to be ridden wide as it gives them clear running and less chance of get blocked or checked.

An interesting debate!
Old 15th October 2012, 08:38 PM

You just need to look at the 400m race in athletics and see how far lane 8 begins in front of lane 1 in the staggered start.
If two runners were to start next to each other on an athletics track it would go like this...
A lap in lane 1 = 400m
A lap in lane 8 = 450m

Where it starts to get murky in horse racing is that unlike athletics the race is not usually run on an even surface.
In many cases hugging the rail is the last place you want to be while being three wide with cover can actually be an advantage on some tracks in certain circumstances.
Old 15th October 2012, 08:48 PM
Vortech

something like 27km you could save by travelling around Australia anti-clockwise vs clockwise due to the inside lane
Old 15th October 2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try Try Again
It is only on the bends where a horse will cover extra ground.

Hence we need to consider the configuration of the track. Courses such as MV and Canterbury which are tight turning tracks the ground covered would be greater than say Randwick or Flemington.

I would welcome some factual / scientific information. I haven't seen this topic covered at all on this forum dating back yonks.
Old 15th October 2012, 09:50 PM

Hi Barny,

I found this on racerate which you might find interesting:

Wide runners

"I buy when other people are selling.”
― J. Paul Getty
Old 15th October 2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortech
Depends if he bought the fence from Bunnings or Mitre 10.
Generally the fence at each track is a standard height so that horse wouldn't be saving much $$$$.

classic !

LG
Old 15th October 2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchmile
Hi Barny,

I found this on racerate which you might find interesting:

Wide runners

Thank you so much TheSchmile, and isn't it funny in this caper you continually learn so much about yourself !! I have been interested to learn about wide runners for quite a while and this was a serious question that I (ME) wanted an answer to. I've used this forum to get a few cheap larffs in the past, but got quite miffed when my post wasn't answered as I'd expected !!

Thanks again TheSchmile, and I apologise for what I was thinking about Vortech (who incidentally came up with one of the funniest things I'd ever read ...... BUT !!!) and LG ..... Brill, Thanks again TheSchmile.
Old 16th October 2012, 07:06 AM
Vortech

If you are going to put a proper analysis together you would have to look at other factors too like

- Rail position
- Barrier starting position

Most of the testing would be in past tense. How much ground did a horse cover last start and did that in the end affect its finishing position. Its something that could be considered but I would assume most punters would review the race replays and take into consideration other variables like

- speed of the race
- settling position
- does the horse have cover
- blocked for a run
- bumped (believe me - young horses hold their breath when they take a knock)
- pulling the head
- pricking of ears at certain stages of the race
- changes in velocity
- timing of accelreation

and..... the 100+ other variables.