Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 14th July 2013, 09:04 AM

Default Online bookie regulations

Have a question for members and/or forum management. After the More Joyous affair I notified Tom Waterhouse.com that I no longer wanted anything to do with them and wanted all contact stopped. The first guy I spoke to said it was fine and withing 7 days all contact would stop. It didn't and after another 2 phonecalls and several emails, the bombardment of Waterhouse propaganda to my email has continued for many weeks.

Is this legal as I thought with all the publicity re problem gambling that this may have been against the law?

Cheers

Dave
Old 14th July 2013, 09:38 AM

If you think you have genuinely been spammed in this case, you could contact the gambling ombudsman in your state.

Based upon the brief information you have supplied, I (personally) wouldn't waste my time however. You could also filter out the emails to your junk email box or even write back and request a free $100 betting voucher to make up for the nuisance factor! I picked up a free $25 bet recently(another bookmaker) and spun the wheel on a lusty longshot at 11s.. $250 in the bank, job done!

Just my thoughts.

Cheers LG
Old 14th July 2013, 10:44 AM

Yea, I could just keep deleting as well, but I wanted them to know from some official source that they aren't above the law.

I only got tangled up with Waterhouse because they took over my first online bookie, 'Sports Acumen' who went broke a few years ago. Got the free bet deal and never deposited, but still I'm pi...d about the More Joyous thing.
Give them one more ring and threaten the Ombudsman thing might be the way to go.

Thanks
Dave
Old 14th July 2013, 07:07 PM

You need to actually close your account first.
Otherwise it is in the terms and conditions you accepted upon signing up.
If your account is actually closed, then you can take it further.
Incidentally, from all reports William Hill is interested in purchasing the operation.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/03/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 14th July 2013, 08:36 PM

Oh Yeah, sorry I thought I mentioned I asked for my account to be closed after final withdrawal some weeks ago.
Old 15th July 2013, 05:39 PM

Finally looks like problem solved. Rang Waterhouse today and asked the rep if it was ok if I recorded our conversation on my little tape. He said he didn't want me to do that but it did make him realise I was serious.

He went to some extra trouble and found I had 2 email addresses on their system. The reason being they had taken over the bankrupt Sports Acumen which was how I ended up with an account with Waterhouse. They had the email I had with Sports Acumen (and closed years) as well as my current one.

They has stopped the one (that didn't exist anymore) but not my current one. He guaranteed it would be stopped from today.

Complicated mess finally sorted. People having trouble with any business, asking them if you can tape the call is a good way of making them listen.

Cheers and thanks for the advice
Old 15th July 2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave101

Complicated mess finally sorted. People having trouble with any business, asking them if you can tape the call is a good way of making them listen.

Cheers and thanks for the advice
Good to hear Dave and what a good idea, might use that one.

LG
Old 15th July 2013, 06:08 PM

Lower than pond s-c-u-m by a mile would be those in the funeral industry, maybe they start out in the gambling industry where any integrity they have is shattered, they move on to selling drugs and finally get to the funeral industry.