Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 16th March 2006, 02:37 PM

Default Shuttercam

For those of you who, like me, concentrate their betting on Hong Kong races, you are aware of the fantastic innovation of shuttercam in the photo-finishes. This facility certainly puts we punters into the 21st century as far as technology goes. It also saves a lot of time in respect of finalising places in the preceding race thus allowing punters to confidently unload in the next race.
Question: is this technology currently available in Australia and if not, when can we anticipate it's introduction? In Hong Kong the commentators take the viewer through each stage of the close finishes and this resolves many doubts which punters may have regarding the finishing position of their wagered runner.
Can we please encourage the powers that be to introduce this technology asap?
Any other regular Hong Kong punters who believe this venue is the best in the world and provides the most profitable betting medium?

Cheers.
Old 16th March 2006, 02:55 PM

Unfortunately I can't google up any info on the Shuttercam product.

But, as far as I can figure, the photo-finish system at the STC (Rosehill etc.) and presumably many other Australian tracks is as sophisticated as possible.

http://www.stc.com.au/web/Racing/Ra...06/r060301c.htm

Essentially it takes 1000s of digital photos per second of an extremely narrow slit at the finish point and produces a composite.

That's as accurate as anyone would want and presumably instantaneous, so technically there's nothing stopping the TV channels broadcasting the results.
Old 16th March 2006, 03:43 PM

Smile

Thanks for that jfc,

Let's hope that we, here in Australia can quickly catch up with this cutting edge technology as it eliminates any possible conjecture and arguments and resolves issues immediately for the punter.
It increases turnover as the punter is more confident about investing in upcoming races once they are are sure about the finishing positions in the previous race

Cheers.
Old 16th March 2006, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanadu
Thanks for that jfc,

Let's hope that we, here in Australia can quickly catch up with this cutting edge technology as it eliminates any possible conjecture and arguments and resolves issues immediately for the punter.
It increases turnover as the punter is more confident about investing in upcoming races once they are are sure about the finishing positions in the previous race

Cheers.

Good luck Xanadu!
I wouldn't hold my breath though, these jokers are only interested in profit.
Can't even get a decent TV coverage of the races, what chance of an innovation like the one you mentioned??
Still, there is always hope!
Cheers!
Old 16th March 2006, 04:07 PM
Suspended.

Smile

With prize-money of $750,000 for an average mid-week C3 in Honkers and bet pools in millions, don't expect anything cutting edge here too soon.
Old 16th March 2006, 04:13 PM

Smile

Yeah, I understand your frustration Iomaca,

Until the powers that be, resolve that issue, betting turnover will inevitably diminish. So, we punters will have to hope that this technology may be available "in our lifetime."
Having said that, though, I would give serious thought to you and everyone else devoting more form study to Hong Kong races as there is value available there and the form generally stands up.

Yeah, good point crash!

Cheers.