Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 28th January 2004, 02:19 AM

Has anyone got any ideas on quinella staking....
Old 29th January 2004, 12:07 PM

Strange how there has been no response to your post, Shaun. Would like to know the answer myself.

One method I have heard of --- but cannot vouch for --- is to rate the top six runners and then to pair the top rated with the other five; and the second rated with the other five (including the top rated). Cost $10.00.

Of course the top-rated tend to be short -- so you would be lucky to get much over your money back. Though yesterday at Canterbury (taking the top-rated from the pre-post price in the SMH) you would have snared a $44.60 quinella; and in race 4 at Balaklava a $28.50 quinella.
Old 29th January 2004, 02:53 PM

I get the same response when I ask about quinella betting here Shaun. Seems there aren't many quinella punters in this forum. A while ago I read an article on multiple and exotic betting - it convinced me that quinellas are good value but trifectas etc. are generally not. A pity quinellas have a reputation as an "old ladies" bet. In many races you find quite small quinella pools and consequently small returns. My strategy is always a box 3 usually with a long-priced runner in the equation. Have had some success but don't feel confident about it. I wish I knew more about the tricks of quinella betting.

Despite the article I read that explained why quinellas are value bets I am still often disappointed by returns. I reckon anything more than twice the price of the winner is a fair return for the degree of difficulty involved, but that level of value can be hard to find.

The trick with quinellas must be to avoid as many of those dreaded 1st-3rd results as you can. They drive me mad. Over and again - the winner and third.

Isn't there a quinella genius on this forum who can enlighten us?

Also, who, in their search for a winning system, has found losing systems that pull lots of second placegetters? Obviously such systems can be adapted to quinella betting.

Hermes
Old 1st February 2004, 10:47 PM

I'm certainly no genius, hermes, but help this might be helpful to some.

The classic golden oldie overlay method is to make your own market and stake those overs according to the quinella percentages formula:

% = 100 / price A * (price B + 1)
+ 100 / price B * (price A +1)

eg 4/1 and 8/1 = 100/(4*9) + 100/(5*8) = 100/36 + 100/40 = nearly 3 + 2.5 so invest 5.5 units on this combination.

I like to get involved when the favourite is false according to my rated market and then I couple my other rated chances staked as above.

If only we could consistently accurately predict false favourites there are a hundred and one ways of making money, but quinellas is one way, I think, that affords particularly good value.
Old 4th February 2004, 12:37 PM

Anyone serious about quinella betting MUST get hold of a booklet by Malcom Knowles called "Quinellas."Obviously for copyright reasons I cannot tell you any more,but if you can still get hold of a copy DO SO.
Tony is right about betting to prices,the simple box is a definite NO NO!There are serious overlays to be had in the quinella pools.
Go to inracing.com.au you can contact Malcom there.
Old 10th February 2004, 07:35 PM
Banned

PURPLEHEART.Got to agree there.
Also the forgotten medium but thats to our advantage.
Cheers.
darky.