Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 8th December 2013, 09:52 PM

Default five best filters

Hi all
Like most on here i am trying to develop a system that is profitable..from reading this forum i have learnt much and am always impressed with the ideas shared.I am testing a system that is in profit at level stakes after 2 months ,but it is slow going.i am experimenting with different filters and would love some ideas.what would be your top five filters?

mark
Old 9th December 2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maark
Hi all
Like most on here i am trying to develop a system that is profitable..from reading this forum i have learnt much and am always impressed with the ideas shared.I am testing a system that is in profit at level stakes after 2 months ,but it is slow going.i am experimenting with different filters and would love some ideas.what would be your top five filters?

mark

Hi maark,

Not willing to give you my own top 5 but for me the most important is to use the combined betting intelligence that the market offers. In other words my approach in respect of this filter is to understand the market, isolate its weaknesses and exploit those advantages.

In the meantime we have written an article on our website that is titled:

Building a system, the gateway to long term profits. I suggest that you have a read of that as it might provide you with some ideas. You need to be a member of our website however that is FREE.

www.ratings2win.com.au

I wish you all the best in your quest.

Paul Daily - Ratings2Win Pty Ltd (Director)
R2W Axis - Axis is Australia's leading horse racing software and database; with sophisticated form analysis tools and accurate performance ratings that include Hong Kong.
http://www.ratings2win.com.au/
Old 9th December 2013, 09:07 AM

When you say slow going, explain a bit more, have you worked out you SR and P.O.T, how about your average price, and average bets per week, this can tell us a lot of how things are going.

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
Old 9th December 2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
When you say slow going, explain a bit more, have you worked out you SR and P.O.T, how about your average price, and average bets per week, this can tell us a lot of how things are going.

It is a place betting system..approx 50% strike rate..POT 16%..about 25 bets a week..average price $2.33...I dont mind less bets,just trying to get the strike rate up..
Filters at the moment:
I am not betting on slow or heavy tracks.
only bet on races between 1000 and 2000 m.
min 8,max 15 runners.
dont bet on last race
Old 9th December 2013, 02:11 PM

What is your reasoning for wanting a better SR?

The reason I ask is 25 bets a week is a reasonable number of bets compared to a lot of systems that get tossed around. Even with just a $500 bankroll if you turned that over once a fortnight (i.e. just $10 bets) with a 16% pot your addidn't $80 to your bankroll each fortnight. Obviously thats over simplified due to losing runs etc but you catch my drift.

The only reason i'd want to improve that SR is if you can't handle mentally the losing runs that 50% SR brings, otherwise i'm not sure why you'd want to change something that sounds solid already.

Anyway thats just my POV
Old 9th December 2013, 07:07 PM

I would take profit over strike rate anytime. Adding a filter that improves profit usually means losing some horses that come in, in this case placed but also cutting out many losers. I would not mind losing a $2.00 shot for example if I also lost say 4 horses that were unplaced. If you get my drift. I only use one or two filters on my current systems as it tends to get too restrictive with more in my opinion, unless you are using a points rating for each filter.

Cheers

Old 10th December 2013, 07:12 AM
Banned

My take on this is you need to work back from what you want to MAKE as a profit per week.

I've got 2 systems to demonstrate, the first system:

3.3% selection rate......33% POT

The second system:

33% selection rate......33% POT

As you can see, both systems deliver the same POT but the second system has a selection rate 10 times more than the other. So, working back from your profit target, let's say $1000 per week.(rounded off, actually $990)

...................Profit.......T'over.....No. bets/week.....Stake =T'over/No. bets

System 1.....$1,000.....$3,000...........10.............. .$300

System 2.....$1,000.....$3,000..........100.............. $30

From the above you can see, that provided you stake your bets to match your selection rate, both systems are equally as good.
undefined

Last edited by Rinconpaul : 10th December 2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10th December 2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maark
It is a place betting system..approx 50% strike rate..POT 16%..about 25 bets a week..average price $2.33...I dont mind less bets,just trying to get the strike rate up..
Filters at the moment:
I am not betting on slow or heavy tracks.
only bet on races between 1000 and 2000 m.
min 8,max 15 runners.
dont bet on last race

There has been some good advice here and personally i don't think you need to change anything, SR is not exactly high for a place system but if you are ok with that then fine, the POT is good and as for number of bets, well i find those that seek more than they have are sometimes for prone to be after action rather then profit.

If you are after bigger returns to create a second income well the only choice is a big enough bankroll to make more profit rather than more bets.

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
Old 10th December 2013, 05:00 PM

Thanks all for the advice.i still have lots to learn..some interesting things for me to consider..If anything i would be happy with less bets..after my selections its mostly automated..I agree some times over using filters means i miss out on winners i would normally get.but also a better strike rate would mean better profit,plus maybe a smaller loosing run..
Also true about the bigger bankroll,I think start off small,then if it is still going well then ramp it up..It would be nice to have a second income,but i am realistic and this is just an interest..Seems it will just pay for my stupid weekend social bets..
On another note..what about a staking plan..I have done some research and it seems place betting plans are few..could any staking work?which would you suggest?..I can trial with a bot.
regards mark

Last edited by maark : 10th December 2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10th December 2013, 05:17 PM

Maark
With a 50% strike rate I would set up a bank of 20 units and bet 1/20th of the highest point that the bank has reached, never reducing the bet. If you double your bank remove 50% of the profit as a dividend for yourself and reset your bet as 1/20th of the new bank.
20 unit bank - double to 40 units - withdraw 10 units - restart with a 30 unit bank and a 1.5 unit bet.
I would also check which price ranges are the most/ least profitable as your data builds up.