Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 14th July 2005, 08:26 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by rith
you dont recommend chasing favourites?
the method i was taught is... you back the favourite in every race.. and if the first favourite winner comes up... when youve made you profit.. you stop betting for the day....

one of the quicker ways to the poor house, me thinks
Old 14th July 2005, 09:30 AM

Hi Andesite & welcome,

I think everyone of us has been down that similar road of chain betting .

First of all one has to take on an approach one feels comforable with.
E.g.
-Does one like to follow race to race then stop when a result is met.
-Does one prefer to lay out all bets on a few horses for the day all at once & walk away.
-Does one like to focus on one venue for the day or several venues.
-Are the bets weekend only or during the week as well.
-Whats the longest run of days experienced where not one winner was struck from ones 7 bets.
-Try & avoid runners paying less than expected price.

Here a a few ideas to consider.

If betting say your 7 horses for the day .
Stop at the first winner struck using its last start price as a divisor to take out a set amount say $100

e.g.One of your selections may have been $5.00 at its last start . Divide $5.00 into the said $100= $20 O/L on that horse & so on .

Keep using the std $100 over all your bets until one gets up then stop.
I`m sure you will strike at least 1 out of your 7 bets , this is a method on how to bet them to make a profit over time.
We are assuming the form has been done for us for the horse to justify its final last start price .

TABQ has this price info by double clicking onto the horses name & upcomes all the runners in the race with its last start TAB pricing.

If for some reason all 7 fall over on the day.
Multiply your initial $100 by 1.20 = 120 is now your new base return figure to divide into.
If this also falls over on your bets for the day , next betting day $120X1.20=$144 is the new base return figure base .
If a profit for the day go back one stage , in this case $120

One must stop at the first winner regardless weather a profit was made or not.
It is far easier to hit say 1 winner out of 8 then stop ,
than it is to hit 5 out of 8 .

The good thing with this sort of betting is that one can often get the overs on your last start price , using this as your divisor .
E.g. last start price may have been $3.20 into $100= 31 O/L & it may pay say $5.90 X 31 O/L = 183 Ret - 31 O/L = +$152 Profit.

You have made +$69 more than one would have betting to its actual price.
As most punters have experienced , it is very difficult to bet to actual price on the TAB because of the constant changes , so this is one way to work around it based on previous form .
In effect one is creating their own book against the Bookie.

This also has the benefit that one may not be placing too much on a mule with less hopfull chances of winning dispite its short price on the day .
e.g. It may have been priced at $11 last start but today its showing $2.90 if it falls over , there wont be as much damage as if one were to bet at its actual price on the day.

Its an idea to restrict ones bets for the day to 5 only instead of 7
using this process.

One could bet the overs only with this method , over your 7 horses.
E.g. If it was $3.00 last start , only bet on it if it is paying more than this figure on the day but using its last start price as the divisor so as to maximise the overlay advantage.

Like anything , it only works if one can pick a few winners.

Saying for the day:
"A Fool & his money are soon partying".

May The Punt Be With You.

Cheers.
Old 14th July 2005, 11:02 AM

Thankyou, everyone, for your input. I have absorbed it all.

Bhagwan, thanks for your comprehensive method suggestion. I will analyse it without money over the next few months until i feel confident enough to try it for real. I am almost at the stage of forgetting my losses and starting fresh with a clean state of mind. I think I can succeed, especially knowing the dangers of taking things too far. I may even post my six or seven selections every Saturday to see if I've got what it takes. It looks like I average around 2 out six or seven selections for win and 4 out of six or seven for place.

Best Regards and thanks again.
Old 14th July 2005, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rith
you dont recommend chasing favourites?
the method i was taught is... you back the favourite in every race.. and if the first favourite winner comes up... when youve made you profit.. you stop betting for the day....

I dislike your method for so many reasons.
Presumably if the first favorite doesn't win and the second one is short you have to bump up your bet a bit. Then if that doesn't win you bump it up a bit more. etc., etc., etc. Like Davez says not the best investment strategy.
Secondly, what if you win your first race, what do you do for the rest of the day? No, punting is an ongoing thing for me - I enjoy it - none of this quit while your ahead crap, let's get more ahead.
Thirdly, pick the favorite in every race? I might as well buy lottery tickets. Working out which is the best horse is much more challenging than which is the shortest priced one. I Punt as an intellectual challenge, not the for buzz of putting a bet on.
Fourthly. Nah, I've had enough and you probably have too. :-)

KV
Old 14th July 2005, 11:53 AM

To be a successful punter requires a particular mindset of being logical analytical, patient and above all in control of the what ifs. Most punters are the exact opposite to the point being emotive and bordering on addiction. It is a long road between.
Old 14th July 2005, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beton
To be a successful punter requires a particular mindset of being logical analytical, patient and above all in control of the what ifs.

Jesus Christ!
Why did you have to say that!!!
I feel comfortable with all the aforementioned but the "what ifs" always make me shiver.
Old 15th July 2005, 01:42 PM

Talking

You have identified your own problem,lack of discipline.If you were getting winners,stop.Greed(and I don't mean that offensively)will always bring punters down .If you were doing ok,continue but you must have DISCIPLINE.Never chase losses,never get greedy,cheers.
Old 15th July 2005, 05:55 PM

KV,

Just as a matter of interest do you punt for a living or for the fun of it.
Old 16th July 2005, 12:54 AM

I'm not going to tell andesite not to bet, he knows what he's done, and he knows he'd probably be better off never betting again, as he has the form to be undisciplined.

My suggestions if you want to bet and like to bet, but know you have discipline problems.....

When you go to the TAB, leave all cash EFTPOS cards, credit cards, not at home - but with either a trusted relative, friend or in the freezer (frozen), so they have to thaw out to use them!

Only bring a daily limit for your bets, no more.

Have your credit card closed, or limit lowered to $500 limit only, and pay it off as a loan, not a running overdraft.

Put your bets on early and leave the TAB for the day - listen or watch the races elsewhere.

Close all internet TAB or online bookie accounts and make the trip to the TAB if you must bet.

If there's a long break between races, and you know you'll be tempted, walk out of the TAB and go have a coffee and a sandwich and read the paper (not the formguide) until your race is about to start - it's cheaper in the longrun.

My suggestions only in good spirit to help you.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/03/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 16th July 2005, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchar
KV,
Just as a matter of interest do you punt for a living or for the fun of it.

I've only been punting seriously for 12 months Kenchar and at the moment I'm punting as a (minor) supplement my puny living as a programmer which only occupies me about 1 day a week. I'm slowly building successful systems so the income side of it is improving. I'm thinking of the punt more as a form of untaxed superannuation really (haven't got any real super), started off with a wedge and am just trying to build it up without removing any if you get my drift.
I don't need to punt so I guess the short answer is for the fun of it.

KV