Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 14th December 2014, 10:32 AM

Default Track Rating Question

Looking at the tracks today according to racing and sports the track at Hawksberry is a Soft(5) with a pent rating of 5.06

But at the same time a pent rating of 5.2 is given for Werribee but its rated a Good(4).

Now I know there is only 1 difference in the track rating from 4 to 5 but I would have thought in these days they were based off the pent rating. Obviously not.

Anyone care to explain why ? I assume different soils, grasses, expected sunshine before the races start, etc.
Old 14th December 2014, 11:03 AM

Hi UB

I think you answered your own question in your last line with "expected sunshine".

I believe the official track rating policy is for the track manager to provide his assessed "expected" rating for the time of the first race. So he/she is assessing conditions as to whether or not there will be improvement or deterioration to the track after the early pent reading.
Old 14th December 2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rails run
Hi UB

I think you answered your own question in your last line with "expected sunshine".

I believe the official track rating policy is for the track manager to provide his assessed "expected" rating for the time of the first race. So he/she is assessing conditions as to whether or not there will be improvement or deterioration to the track after the early pent reading.

thanks rails run. I just wanted someone else to confirm what I was thinking.
Old 14th December 2014, 11:52 AM

I didn't really know how it all works and found the following duped across a number of websites:

"The penetrometer reading is obtained using the following method: A 1 kilogram weight is released by a trigger action and falls 1 metre down a shaft, which in-turn hits a 1 centimetre square rod into the soil profile. The 1 centimetre square rod has 1 centimetre increments as the measurement for the depth the rod that has entered into the soil profile. This action is undertaken 3 times in the one position, therefore giving 3 readings eg: 2.5, 4.5, 6.5.

A formula is used to calculate the reading and is based on the average figure for the entire course. To obtain this figure there are 6 readings taken every 200m around course. Three of the 6 readings are taken 2m from the running rail and then the remaining 3 readings are taken 4m from the running rail. Each reading is recorded and then all figures are entered into a formula that will provide an average. This average then becomes your race day penetrometer reading and will correspond to your set ratings – Fast / Good / Dead / Slow / Heavy. Eg: Track – 'Good', Penetrometer – 4.25"

Some of the websites with that lifted text then go on to say that "readings will differ from track to track due to varying soil types and rail positions. Therefore you cannot compare readings against different tracks ie Randwick compared to Caulfield"

While the averaging of penetrometer readings gets you a single figure, it is difficult to equate it with a broad statement like "Track with good grass coverage and cushion" (Numerical Rating #3). The penetrometer readings don't have anything to say about grass coverage, for one!

Check out the map below for another reason the whole thing's a fudge (I tried to find current ones on TasRacing's website, but no luck; this was from a post in another forum):

If you used the same average method to gain a single figure but only over the relevant race distances, you'd get different figures if you were running a 900m vs a 1400m (what relevance does the firmness of the rest of the track have if the horse isn't even going to run on it?!).

In short, penetrometer readings add a veneer of scientific approach, but seem to be of little account in the awarding of final Track Rating. It gets you in the ballpark at best, but then local/expected/weather conditions are spun into the final opinion - which are even then only indicative as they aren't necessarily specific to each race distance.
Old 14th December 2014, 03:40 PM

That's a pretty sharp camber from the 600m mark to the 300m mark.
The straight's only 300m long.
I'd suggest you have to be up on the pace or leading to have any chance.
Compare a 1000m race at Elwick to that of Flemington, and you can clearly see why winners switching venues would struggle even in the same class.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/03/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg