Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 10th November 2012, 08:13 AM

Default How to properly test a system

These ideas/rules are not mine. I have collected them from this forum and made them concise in this post.

There is more to testing systems then throwing a bunch of rules and then hoping for them to hold up in the future. Look for posts by Angry Pixie and wesmip1. These two seem to know how to analye systems.

A couple of pointers.

1. The number of selections needed to cofirm a system is usually effected by the odds of the selections. A system based on favourites might only need 2000 selections for confirmation. I system on long shots might need 10,000.

2. Use the chi square test to determine how luck has affected the results.

3. Test over at least a years worth of results and check the progression holds especially over the last month or two. If your lost in the last month of testing be very careful with it.

4. When testing over at least a years worth of results you want to see at least 8 or more months showing a profit. Preferably 10 or more.

5. Plot out the bar graph of X bets of the POT and check it looks like a bell curve. If its not showing a bell curve you have not tested enough. If it does show a bell curve check the middle of it sits to the right (positive) of 0. X bets should be at least 30 bets or 5/(1/[average odds]) and no more then 5% of the total number of bets.

If it passes all the above tests then you have found a long term keeper.
Old 10th November 2012, 08:42 AM

Excellent posting UB.

Concise it is however, so 1 or 2 questions if I may...

1. How big a sample with a strike of say 75%-80% ?

2. Do you have an equation for this so that we can check different SR's

3. Please clarify your logic regards point 5 in relation to sample size and odds

X bets should be at least 30 bets or 5/(1/[average odds]) and no more then 5% of the total number of bets.

Cheers LG

PS any chance of a resurrection for the system tester in 2013?
Old 10th November 2012, 09:24 AM

Good post UB.

I used to be a big believer in Bell Curves, but thanks to advice from iirc Angry Pixie & other reading etc, not so much these days - provided the chi-test looks ok with a good sized sample that's probably good enough.

Another approach that may help is to drop the top & bottom 10% of SP's from results & see how it holds up.
Old 10th November 2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Greystoke

1. How big a sample with a strike of say 75%-80% ?

I go with gut feel but I would need at least 300 for a 75% strike rate.
You could use at least 200 winners as the general rule. So if your strike rate is expected to be 75% then you get a winner every 1.33 races determined by 1/.75. So in this case you would want at least 266 selections.

Quote:

2. Do you have an equation for this so that we can check different SR's
See above.

Quote:

3. Please clarify your logic regards point 5 in relation to sample size and odds

X bets should be at least 30 bets or 5/(1/[average odds]) and no more then 5% of the total number of bets.

You determine your POT for each expected 5 winners as a minimum. So if you had average odds of $10 then it would require at least 5/(1/10) = 50 selections. If your average odds was $2 then you require at least 5/(1/2) = 10 seelctions.

Personally I use a minimum of 30 bets per sequence. Lets assume I havea system which has 900 bets tested. I can divide this up into 30 bets each sequence. You work out the profit for each 30 bets sequence and plot it on a bar graph. You should see most of the POT's be around a certain figure and show a bell curve. If it doesn't show a bell curve then you have not done enough testing.

Quote:

PS any chance of a resurrection for the system tester in 2013?

I do need to get this going again. I haven't had a chance to set it up though.
Old 10th November 2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norisk
Good post UB.

I used to be a big believer in Bell Curves, but thanks to advice from iirc Angry Pixie & other reading etc, not so much these days - provided the chi-test looks ok with a good sized sample that's probably good enough.

I think you need to use the chi test but it is suseptible to back fitting. The bell curve analysis ensures that there are enough results tested. If the bell curve is smooth then you should be right. If its jagged or has no shape you are likely to have backfitted results.
Old 10th November 2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessBettor
I think you need to use the chi test but it is suseptible to back fitting. The bell curve analysis ensures that there are enough results tested. If the bell curve is smooth then you should be right. If its jagged or has no shape you are likely to have backfitted results.

Yes, that's the approach I used as well UB, using the Bell Curve confirm Chi-test results to satisfy myself I hadn't back-fitted, however I found that depending on grouping size the bell curve could vary wildly, & that was with large sample sizes (>5000 races, grouping sizes from 25 to 50), so I lost confidence in it.
Old 10th November 2012, 06:12 PM

Thanks for feedback UB.
Also some good balancing points from you NR.

I will venture further into testing the short end of returns from here.

Cheers LG
Old 10th November 2012, 06:48 PM

Nothing wrong with these ides if you have the data to test on, but what if you have some ides you want to test?

A few years back a post was made for testing systems without a data base.

Quote:
I notice lots of people on this forum and elsewhere plugging away at their systems without the benefit of a big database. Me too. I want to say to these people that you don't need a big database. You just need some scientific sampling.

The science is the same as that which underlies opinion polling and market research. Opinion Pollsters can quite accurately guage the opinions of a 20 million. population using samples as small as 2000. They have a good record of doing so.

Like others I design and try lots of systems. Most fail. I test them like this:

1. First sample = 150 recent races (or bets) If this shows miserable results, forget it. If it gets near to break even or pays POT continue. This sample will include at least one period of three consequitive days.

2. Second sample = 100 races from the same season in previous years (not recent races) but with NO consequitive days. If its near to break even or in POT, continue.

3. Third sample = 100 random races from all seasons trying only one or two races per day from here and there. If its near to break even or in POT, continue. A system MUST pass this test. (If you only sample consequitive days you can hit distorting cycles and mini-cycles. You have to sample against this phenomenon.)

4. Fourth Sample = carefully tabulate results over the last week's races, going back over some days covered in sample 1 but writing it up on a spreadsheet to examine results more closely.

In all cases under-state long-priced winners. It saves averaging results. Set a rule such as "All results over $20 will be recorded as $15 winners". This is essential. The greatest danger in sampling (not a danger in big databases) is that long priced winners blow out your results - they are not really part of the longer strike pattern but just flukes peculiar to that sample.

Also in all samples of 100 I begin by marking down 4 straight losses. This is an added margin of error.

If a system makes it this far and shows a reasonable result I then try it on paper only over a week's live races, continuing the spreadsheet of Sample 4.

If its still ahead then I try it at 50c units in live races. Slow and careful. I used to lash out and say "I have confidence in my methods!" Not any more.

The risk is that you hit a boom day and think you've found the holy grail and overeact. Experience will teach you that many systems romp through the sampling, perform well in live races for a fortnight and then die.

The thing to look for in live sampling is not POT but the same PATTERN of results as in the past results samples. If it shows the same pattern, persist.

Obviously systems that chase longshots require bigger samples to look at longer cycles and patterns.

Here's a trap for new players:

In sampling systems it is easiest to move through one meeting at a time race 1 to race 8 looking for cases of the configuration you are testing.

But in live racing punters tend to move from meeting to meeting these days, so race 1 of the day is at Mornington and race 2 of the day is at Townsville and race 2 is at Randwick, etc.

In which case you cannot apply the patterns of your samples to live racing. If you test it meeting by meeting you will have to bet it meeting by meeting and not across meetings, especially if you are parlaying or loss-chasing etc or depend on a certain strike-rate.

The limitation of sampling is that you tend to only try systems with simple, easy-to-look-up rules rather than complex, finely-tuned rules. But there's nothing wrong with simplicity, I say.

I find the TABQ records the best to sample from. Its an on-line data base of the last two or so years results.

Sampling can be mechanical and time-consuming, but I listen to music and "multi-task". I'm a chronic insomniac anyway and late night TV just isn't what it used to be.

The great advantage to this way of doing things is that my eye passes over hundreds and hundreds of results and fields. While testing one system new observations arise and new ideas come up. You notice patterns. That doesn't happen if you just click the button on a database. I feel like I'm learning more about the game while sampling.

The thing to remember, I reckon, is that in this country we are not playing against the track or the TAB (except as taxpayers) but against each other. This means that you can only win by one of two strategies:

*Do what other punters do and do it better than them.
*Do something other punters aren't doing, exploiting a niche.

Most of my system ideas are looking for a niche.

Happy punting. May you win, but not at my expense. Pari-Mutuel.

Hermes

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
Old 10th November 2012, 07:32 PM

thanks Shaun. Very useful for those who don't collect the data.
Old 11th November 2012, 05:21 AM
Vortech

The problem with most punters is trying to gather the the sample size, for which some members will try to compensate by testing back 12 years.

I've tried to explain that in getting a true POT, in reality you need thousands of bets for a system to properly gauge its performance. So does that mean you would need quite a few 1000 years to achieve that with a system like one with 20 bets per year?

This isn't possible, and so many people report that their system didn't work when it might be a winning system.

Even if you have a system with 50% strike rate the possibility of having 10 losses in a row is very real possibility

Most people tend to launch into a system after it has exhibited great performance, given that a system has a stable line of performance any deviance ABOVE this line will be followed by a deviance BELOW this performance line. SO guess what most people cop when they start ? Yep, the natural deviance to below the performance line to return the system to its normal average performance.

There is no answer to help you gauge the performance of your systems so that you can be absolutely certain, unfortunately!

So stick with your systems, if that is your punting method. For me I test over 5 years into portions because at the end of the day - the horses don't understand all the figures and trainers have change of styles, weights change and jockeys have bad runs. Each to their own and don't get convinced by others your methods are incorrect.