Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 8th February 2012, 08:03 AM

Default When does size really matter??

Hi All

Yesterday I tried to back a few horses for the place with a $75 stake. These selections were fav or near fav's with place odds in the range of $1.40-$2.00 on BF.

I had 5 races picked with 1 selection in each and only got $44 partially matched on one runner at $1.67 on BF about 15sec's before the jump.

So, does bet size really matter with BF? (Or could it be a problem with the bot I used?) Monday races have lower pools but I thought more money would have been available at the top end of the market so I was surprised I couldn't get $75 set for a place.

I'd be grateful if anyone could share their observations on the point at which their bets started to hit partials (or none at all).

Assuming bet's aimed at, say, a $2.50 win odds runner, what is the largest back bet you've managed for the win or place? Does the size of the betting pool effect one's chances of getting a wager set?

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th February 2012, 09:29 AM

Sounds odd, particulary as they were well fancied runners, usually huge amounts on BF when you have short priced favs. Could it have been that the price moved as your bot submitted its bet? If the bot fired off a bet at $2.0, and as it did, the market price shortened, it might explain it? You would have managed to grab some of the $2.0 before the market moved, leaving the rest of your stake unmatched, and if the price didnt drift back out to $2.0, its not at the front of the prices to be layed.
Old 8th February 2012, 09:33 AM

Sorry missed the part about it being for place odds. The place markets on BF in Aus racing are poor in liquidity, and wouldnt surprise me at all to hear you are having issues being matched unfortunately, even for amounts such as mentioned, especially on midweek racing.
Old 8th February 2012, 10:16 AM

Thorns, your first reply was probably the reason. If you're not there at the market it doesn't matter how much you want you're not going to get matched unless the price gets back to where you are. For all we know there could have been thousands traded just under what rails run wanted.
Old 8th February 2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rails run
Hi All

Yesterday I tried to back a few horses for the place with a $75 stake. These selections were fav or near fav's with place odds in the range of $1.40-$2.00 on BF.

I had 5 races picked with 1 selection in each and only got $44 partially matched on one runner at $1.67 on BF about 15sec's before the jump.

So, does bet size really matter with BF? (Or could it be a problem with the bot I used?) Monday races have lower pools but I thought more money would have been available at the top end of the market so I was surprised I couldn't get $75 set for a place.

I'd be grateful if anyone could share their observations on the point at which their bets started to hit partials (or none at all).

Assuming bet's aimed at, say, a $2.50 win odds runner, what is the largest back bet you've managed for the win or place? Does the size of the betting pool effect one's chances of getting a wager set?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the club rails run.

Not only do you not get on with any sizable bet for the place, my usual place bet being $150.00, you also have to run the gauntlet of falsely offered odds that change as soon as you match them, on Sunday I missed out on a potential $750.00 return on
5/02/2012 SUN R4 #2 ZAROXIE SHANE ARNOLD $5 third.
by trying to get on and after the fifth time as the odds kept coming down I gave up and went back to the TAB only to miss the race altogether.
Now what is better? A potential $5.7 divi you cannot get or a fair dinkum $5.0 that is there for the taking?

The same day I missed out on a winner on
5/02/2012 ELW R9 #1 KID KOBE J TODD $5.6 $1.8 by being mucked about on BF so long that I was late to put the bet on the TAB.

It annoys me no end when some people here make comments like:
"Why anyone has anything to do with the TAB is beyond me & one is paying 18.5% impost for it.
Especially if using real money."
when they are not in the knowledge of all the facts and perhaps they doing something entirely different, something that suits the way BF operates.

Good luck
Old 8th February 2012, 12:07 PM

Thanks for all your responses. I had the bot set up to chase the odds as they moved (2 ticks) but it didn't seem to help. Looks like lomaca has experienced this issue before with his larger bets. May be 'best of tote' for me then if I want to continue with place betting.

Has anyone been caught in the same position with Win bets and a large stake?
Old 8th February 2012, 12:26 PM

rails run, I bet the BF place market most days turning over anything from $500 to a few $k & rarely have an issue getting on an acceptable price, although Mondays/Tuesdays can be a bit quiet.

One issue may be with getting your bets on so close to the jump as I find with place markets that most of the larger amounts get traded before that point, but that may just be my experience.

I should add though that I place the bets manually to try & ensure best price.

Last edited by norisk : 8th February 2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 8th February 2012, 12:30 PM

With the Tick Adj

Is that set at +2 Ticks or -2 Ticks?

So that we dont miss too many bets , I find -3 Ticks works well.
Old 8th February 2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomaca

one is paying 18.5% impost for it.

Good luck
I forgot to add that the "18.5%" argument is a bit of a red herring too, because while there is certainly an app. 18% takeout it does not manifest itself in an 18% price difference between the TAB and BF prices. What you see on the TAB is what you get while you will have to deduct the 5% from the BF price.

Never seen BF being 23% better on most prices, which it would have to be if you believed the 18% tosh.
Old 8th February 2012, 12:54 PM

Depending on the runners you are targeting you may even get less than betfair.