Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 5th October 2009, 12:20 PM

Default Any Dark Horses for the Cups??

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone had any dark horses for the Big Cups?

Caulfield Cup

I still like Vigor for the Caulfield Cup. Got buffeted against the rails early in the race on Saturday, so forgive and it's previous runs this campaign have been outstanding. 51 kilo's looks luxurious.

Speed Gifted was obviously impressive on Saturday, doubt the opposition a bit but hands and heels all the way, you can't do much more.

Roman Emporer could be a smoky. Loved his run in the Derby in the Autumn when he beat Predatory Pricer and he has the GENIUS trainer in B. Cummings. Currently $26 fixed odds.

Melbourne Cup

Efficient was too impressive to ignore on Saturday but I'll wait till the spring pans out a bit for the Cup.

Cox Plate

I like Maldivian and Trusting.

Stayer to follow for the lesser staying races - DANDAAD. Didn't seem to do much in the Autumn in Sydney. Wondering if he's a Melbourne/Spring Horse. Has the Cummings polish and could pick up a listed/Group 3 type event.

Just thought I might incite a little healthy conversation to nut out the winners of the big races this spring.

Have a b-u-diful day.

Two Shoes
Old 5th October 2009, 01:52 PM
Banned

A couple I have recently put in my Black Book that are still decent odds for the big one are Capecover and Allez Wonder. Allez Wonder is a chance as long as the tracks stay dead at the worst, and capecover has been hitting the line very hard at it's last couple.

Outside of speed gifted I think those two are pretty good value.

Agree with Maldivian in the Cox Plate, put a double on for the caulfield cup cox Plate for Speed Gifted into Maldivian @ 144-1 and Speed Gifted into So You Think (cox plate) @ 270-1
Old 5th October 2009, 02:30 PM

I like your style Horse Whisperer!

Do you know much about the breeding of Allez Wonder? Do you think it'll stay the cup distance?

I think Capecover might be slightly below the standard required to win the Big ones, but it could run a cheeky place. In saying that, I never disregard the Kiwi's completely, as they seem to know a thing or two about training horses for the good races.

Two Shoes
Old 5th October 2009, 04:53 PM
Banned

Two shoes I'm not right into the breeding side of things. She ran 3rd in the vrc oaks though she was beaten 5l, she was coming home hard. The first up run at Flemington really caught my eye this prep so got on for her next start and she won racing on the speed rather than her usuall get back style which obviously wouldnt have been suited at Moonee Valley.

The thing with the Melbourne cup I've found is I've started to look oustide what is regarded as the top horses over the 2000-2400m distances, as the 2nd raters seem to be the ones that pop up and win the race. Viewed is a great example and the year Efficient won it could hardly be regarded as one of the top chances and it's winning price showed. That's why I don't mind Capecover.
Old 5th October 2009, 05:27 PM

Like Viewed and Zipping in CC. Both hit the line hard in their past few races.
Old 5th October 2009, 06:32 PM

Seven-year-old mare Varevees, who ran fourteenth in last year's Melbourne Cup, will be aimed at Australia's richest race once again.

Varevees contested last year's Melbourne Cup under the tutelage of British trainer Richard Gibson, however has since been in the care of in-form Cranbourne-based trainer Mick Kent.

"I'm really pleased with her," Kent told The Virtual Formguide.

"She's now got a lot stronger like those European mares do.

"I think she's got a big motor and I'm hoping that with a season under her belt that she might find her true form," Kent added.

Varevees is likely to resume in the $200,000 Group 2 Stock Stakes (1600m) at Moonee Valley on September 12 with Kent mindful that the daughter of Irish sire, Kahyasi, must re-qualify for the Melbourne Cup.

"She might have to go through races like the Bart Cummings or Winning Edge to earn a start in the Cup," he said.

The $150,000 Bart Cummings (2500m) will be held at Flemington on October 3 while the $200,000 Group 2 Winning Edge Stakes (2400m) at Caulfield a week later on October 10.

Varevees last win was back in September 2007, when victorious in the Group 3 Gladiateur Stakes (3100m) at Longchamp, France.

Because of that stakes victory, Varevees has passed the balloting conditions of the Melbourne Cup by a month.
Old 5th October 2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denning
Seven-year-old mare Varevees, who ran fourteenth in last year's Melbourne Cup, will be aimed at Australia's richest race once again.

Varevees contested last year's Melbourne Cup under the tutelage of British trainer Richard Gibson, however has since been in the care of in-form Cranbourne-based trainer Mick Kent.

"I'm really pleased with her," Kent told The Virtual Formguide.

"She's now got a lot stronger like those European mares do.

"I think she's got a big motor and I'm hoping that with a season under her belt that she might find her true form," Kent added.

Varevees is likely to resume in the $200,000 Group 2 Stock Stakes (1600m) at Moonee Valley on September 12 with Kent mindful that the daughter of Irish sire, Kahyasi, must re-qualify for the Melbourne Cup.

"She might have to go through races like the Bart Cummings or Winning Edge to earn a start in the Cup," he said.

The $150,000 Bart Cummings (2500m) will be held at Flemington on October 3 while the $200,000 Group 2 Winning Edge Stakes (2400m) at Caulfield a week later on October 10.

Varevees last win was back in September 2007, when victorious in the Group 3 Gladiateur Stakes (3100m) at Longchamp, France.

Because of that stakes victory, Varevees has passed the balloting conditions of the Melbourne Cup by a month.

Old article. Bart Cummings was run last weekend.
Old 5th October 2009, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Whisperer
Speed Gifted into So You Think (cox plate) @ 270-1

you'd be looking good there....

i backed Harris Tweed (CC) into So You Think at 1500-1 , should have gone speed gifted as well
Old 5th October 2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makybe Diva
Old article. Bart Cummings was run last weekend.

hello hello but horse didnt
Old 5th October 2009, 06:46 PM

MOURILYAN (IRE) (Gary Moore)
Bankable will bid for Group One success at the Melbourne Spring Carnival next month after obliging as the odds-on favourite in the Fortune Stakes at Sandown.

The five-year-old will jet out to Australia along with stablemate and Emirates Melbourne Cup candidate Mourilyan, with both carrying Chechen president Ramzan Kadyrov's colours.

The pair will race for Herman Brown, and Bankable signed off his spell with Gary Moore by landing odds of 4-7 under the trainer's son, Ryan.

Moore's assistant David Wilson said: "He did it well in the end and the rain helped.

"He has been with us four or five months and has gradually improved and improved. He even came on for his first run for us at Windsor.

"The plan is for him and Mourilyan to head into quarantine and they will then both race in Australia for Herman Brown."

Brown's assistant Nicols Iguacel added: "He will run in a Grade One race on October 31, and Mourilyan will then run four days later in the Melbourne Cup.
http://src.racingvictoria.net.au/springracingcarnival/springtv.aspx

watch goodwood cup
early markets MOURILYAN 35.00 47.60 52.30