Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 22nd October 2009, 09:29 AM

Default ' The Raiders '

Does anyone know the success rate for the 'International Raiders ' and should Kiwi horses be included in this group?
Old 22nd October 2009, 09:59 AM

No. I know they've won 3 Melbourne Cups in 16 years, but I don't know how many runners they've had in those 16 years. Just at a guess, I'd say about 50-60???

And no. New Zealand horses don't count.

And I have to say that international "raiders" is the most overused and annoying term in racing.

Last edited by Sportz : 22nd October 2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 22nd October 2009, 10:22 AM
Suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportz

And I have to say that international "raiders" is the most overused and annoying term in racing.

Ditto to that comment Sportz. Oversees donkeys more likely, or perhaps it's the silly decision to [mostly] bring oversees 'gun' jockeys to ride them here? Both horse and jocky are all at sea with our different ball-game.
Old 22nd October 2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarkley
Does anyone know the success rate for the 'International Raiders ' and should Kiwi horses be included in this group?

Are NZ horses subject to any kind of quarantine process like other o/s horses? I'm guessing not?
Old 22nd October 2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportz
No. I know they've won 3 Melbourne Cups in 16 years, but I don't know how many runners they've had in those 16 years. Just at a guess, I'd say about 50-60???

And no. New Zealand horses don't count.

It certainly is Sportz. About the only thing they've raided is there own piggy banks for the trip home.
Old 22nd October 2009, 12:51 PM

Their sucess rate is abysmal generally.

As many have pointed out the challenges of adapting to a different style of racing with different tempo and different going coming off the back of a 48 trip and not racing for 6 or more weeks - is usually too much of an ask.

Certainly the publicity has been great for the Melbourne Spring carnival as an event - generating a lot of marketing value. Well done to the VRC and RVL.

As far as punters go though - a bookies benefit.

The Japanese horses probably were the biggest 'threat' to the locals - I imagine their strike rate was pretty good - but changes to the quarantine laws have sidelined them.

I wouldnt count the NZ horses as raiders.

As a punter I like the presence of the international horses cause they inflate the prices available about the real local chances - providing better value.