Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 10th October 2013, 01:14 PM

Default Need Some advice

Hi everyone, hope the spring racing goes well for all.

I need some advice, not sure where I can find the right answers, but this forum is as good as any.

As I have mention before I have developed over many years my own ratings method. Originally based on the concepts of Rem Plante and Don Scot I have tweaked values to reflect today’s racing, which is vastly different to what they experienced years ago.

My ratings results are very accurate, takes hours to do a single meeting and overall I’m happy with the results. But I still feel I’m missing something… Or more correctly there’s another factor I haven’t accounted for or haven’t put enough emphasis on.

Firstly I rate runners on API, both career and current campaign, I then add ratings based on race ratings and weight and distance for previous runs (in particular the current campaign) and then I review all my ratings results for each race to cast a knowledgeable opinion over the probable winners..

This approach turns some very happy results ranging in price out to 8 and beyond and it is very reliable.

But I can’t help thinking that there’s something more… The next step so to speak.

Any suggestions?
Old 10th October 2013, 02:36 PM

Hi Cairnsman,

My first advice would be to automate the process as much as possible. Hire a programmer if necessary.

Secondly, I'd look at pace and settling position if you haven't already factored that in. Michal and Paul have a service with Ratings2win.

Wishing you great success!!

"I buy when other people are selling.”
― J. Paul Getty
Old 10th October 2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchmile
Hi Cairnsman,

My first advice would be to automate the process as much as possible. Hire a programmer if necessary.

Secondly, I'd look at pace and settling position if you haven't already factored that in. Michal and Paul have a service with Ratings2win.

Wishing you great success!!
Thanks Schmile,

I have fiddled with these things and found some speed maps helpful, (some are garbage too) but I haven't really delved into pace that much.. I will study Ratings2Win and see what shows up, thanks

Old 10th October 2013, 04:12 PM

There is more.
The handicapper has taken history and in his mind he has evened up the field.
You are taking that same history and trying to prove him wrong. You can only do that with what comes after the handicapping. The draw and what has happened between the last race and this one.

The first is incorporated in most ratings, and is reflected in the PP. and the second is usually reflected in the openers. Furthermore if you take any price range of the fav, you will find even money less the TAB rake. Meaning that Joe Public is on the money.

Thus if you don't use the money, you are on your own.
Old 10th October 2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairnsMan

This approach turns some very happy results ranging in price out to 8 and beyond and it is very reliable.

But I can’t help thinking that there’s something more… The next step so to speak.

Hi CairnsMan. Interested why you think "there's something more", if you're on a winner, that is? Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 07:11 AM

Sounds to me like you're doing pretty well already. Not always helpful to expect total perfection.
If you are in profit, just up the stake.
Old 11th October 2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beton
There is more.
The handicapper has taken history and in his mind he has evened up the field.
You are taking that same history and trying to prove him wrong. You can only do that with what comes after the handicapping. The draw and what has happened between the last race and this one.

The first is incorporated in most ratings, and is reflected in the PP. and the second is usually reflected in the openers. Furthermore if you take any price range of the fav, you will find even money less the TAB rake. Meaning that Joe Public is on the money.

Thus if you don't use the money, you are on your own.
I agree with you BetOn, you're on the money.. As a programmer I wrote a program to study the results of thousands of races and compared the results with BetFair prices. The result: (once you take out the commission) the actual chance of a runner winning is within 15% of the final SP price.

Money (price) is a significant indicator. Thanks for your comments
Old 11th October 2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive
Sounds to me like you're doing pretty well already. Not always helpful to expect total perfection.
If you are in profit, just up the stake.
A very sucessfull punter who I learned a lot from, told me "Never bet more than you'd be comfortable of losing"...

Quite simply, the pressure of losing money creates doubt in the mind of the punter and they make silly mistakes as a result.

My methods are very good and succesfull, last Sat I got 6 out of 7 winners (nominating about 3 in a race) and as a normal thing I can get 4 - 5 winners every Saturday and Wednesday. I only concentrate on Sydney tracks, not interested in Melb, and other tracks. Still I think I can do better so I am striving to improve, perhaps perfection is too big an ask but shooting for it can't hurt.
Old 11th October 2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino82
Hi CairnsMan. Interested why you think "there's something more", if you're on a winner, that is? Thanks
I disagree Rhino82, to stop searching for more is to stop evolving and if you don't evolve then failure will surely follow..
Old 11th October 2013, 09:32 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairnsMan
I disagree Rhino82, to stop searching for more is to stop evolving and if you don't evolve then failure will surely follow..

Hi again CairnsMan, Was asking a question, didn't make any statement, so not sure to what you're disagreeing