Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 24th September 2006, 02:32 PM

Thanks for all that effort crash, much appreciated.
Old 25th September 2006, 12:02 PM

Yes, very informative. I'm using avant now too.
Old 25th September 2006, 12:47 PM

And another very happy customer (non Paying!!) The transfer of favs was easier than 1st thought too as there's a box to tick at the bottom of the Miscellaneous Options window that says 'transfer IE favs' & does exactly that.
Btw, does it have a sister email program? Haven't come across mention of one if there is. Thanks again.
Old 25th September 2006, 01:58 PM
Banned

Default peakester

Crash,

Thanks for all your computer info. I'm also interested in what email client you use and why. Also firefox has a good feature to remember those thousands of passwords we must use to login to various sites. Does Avant have this and if not, is there an add on/extension/plug in to incorporate this into the browser.

Cheers
Tony
Old 26th September 2006, 07:55 AM
Suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash
We have all heard: "Firefox is Faster, Firefox has Lower Requirements, Firefox is Secure, Firefox defends me from all Spyware, etc."
How misleading is it? Apart from it actually being slower than IE, read on for the truth about these myths [especially about it's security]....

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Suppo...refoxMyths.html

In the website above there are links to all independent tests to support the above statements. There are some serious security issues with firefox and having initialy used it for about six months, I found it as slow as a wet week compared to Avant [Opera is the fastest in the tests ...just], which has no security issues.

Avant has a very active user forum: http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewforum.php?f=4 For passwords etc. Avant has a very slick feature called 'organise auto fills' under 'auto fills' on the toolbar next to 'bookmarks'.

Anything you want to know about the browser can be answered at the forum site as I'm certainly no expert on it.
I have just this morning downloaded the latest new release [they come out regularly with tiny improvments after 'listening' to user imput]. There are no security issues with Avant and I love all the extra screen real-estate it's many options [a huge amount] allow.

Re Mail:
I use Outlook Express as I'm used to it and I can set it up very securely indeed through message rules and only use it for friends and a few places where I know it won't be abused.
I also use Yahoo mail as a far less intrusive option that hotmail in my personal opinion [only]. MSN messenger I have disabled [but not removed].

I've recently sacked the free Zone Alarm I used to use, as after testing it recently on a security 'leak test' ...it leaks like a sieve! I now use 'Sunbelt Keiro' as a free firewall.

Last edited by crash : 26th September 2006 at 08:18 AM.
Old 26th September 2006, 09:18 AM

Default Avant is IE

Guys

Sorry to burst the Avant Browser love bubble but Avant is just Internet Explorer with a different dress on. I use it cos it's a decent tabbed browser, not cos it's secure.

See the F.A.Q.'s

http://www.avantbrowser.com/faq.html

Seeya
Old 26th September 2006, 12:02 PM

Interesting topic this.

I think the important thing to remember about spyware, is that no one application will protect you, you must use a combination of antispyware programs.

I agree with crash re Norton's - it does do the job, but will slow your computer to intolerable pace.

I would suggest that anyone storing important stuff (like racing info and spreadsheets) have two drives the same size and have an auto backup scheduled at minimum weekly. Use a program that will make an image of your primary drive.
*RaceCensus now updated to 30/04/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg

Last edited by Chrome Prince : 26th September 2006 at 12:05 PM.
Old 26th September 2006, 04:38 PM
Suspended.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryPixie
Guys

Sorry to burst the Avant Browser love bubble but Avant is just Internet Explorer with a different dress on. I use it cos it's a decent tabbed browser, not cos it's secure.

See the F.A.Q.'s

http://www.avantbrowser.com/faq.html

Seeya

SOME DRESS !!!
Old 26th September 2006, 04:41 PM
Suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Prince
Interesting topic this.

I think the important thing to remember about spyware, is that no one application will protect you, you must use a combination of antispyware programs.

I agree with crash re Norton's - it does do the job, but will slow your computer to intolerable pace.

I would suggest that anyone storing important stuff (like racing info and spreadsheets) have two drives the same size and have an auto backup scheduled at minimum weekly. Use a program that will make an image of your primary drive.

A single drive with an extra partition[s] will do the same thing for the down and outs who balk at installing an extra HD.

What I use:-))
Old 26th September 2006, 04:45 PM

Crash

I have to agree with you - I really like the dress too. I've been wearing it for over 12 months now and everybody I show it to reckons it's really pretty

Pixie