Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 29th July 2012, 02:31 PM

Default Systems. The Advantages vs The Disadventurers.

This is to follow on from a thread I started which was closed down by Management.

( That should get the flags flying ) But their is no need to worry. My wording in my other thread may have appeared to be insensitive to some, but that is not what was intended.

Basically, what I wanted to discuss is what is your main reason for using betting systems or staking plans or using part system and part personal selection.

I have my reasons, as silly as they are, and I am financially better off by going that way ( eg, I am losing less, in a more disciplined manner )

So, with Management's approval, I hope we can continue on with this thread as it will help me and hopefully others.

Star
Old 29th July 2012, 02:50 PM

I will try and keep this on track.

For me it is a way to understand why i do what i do, why i selected that horse.

To be honest i think we all follow some sort of system if we didn't then whats the point, you are better off just asking a crowd what they like and backing that one.

even that is a system of sorts.

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
Old 29th July 2012, 03:04 PM

Hi Star (nice moniker - I hope you can back it up ).

The reason I try and use systems is that I am absolutely hopeless in trying to pick a winner to back or a loser to lay. I've tried and am still trying all sorts of systems but to really no avail.

Horse race trading on Betfair is my only real forte but you get sick of doing that every weekend. I build up my bank trading and then lose it all system chasing.

Well, that's my story in briefs.

― Earl Nightingale
Old 29th July 2012, 03:18 PM

Smile

A good start to this thread - let's hope it continues.

For me it's discipline. Rather than get swamped by endless and sometimes confusing information I can start with the basic information, apply some simple rules and get to the endpoint - a potential winner!
Old 29th July 2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ocho
Hi Star (nice moniker - I hope you can back it up ).

The reason I try and use systems is that I am absolutely hopeless in trying to pick a winner to back or a loser to lay. I've tried and am still trying all sorts of systems but to really no avail.

Horse race trading on Betfair is my only real forte but you get sick of doing that every weekend. I build up my bank trading and then lose it all system chasing.

Well, that's my story in briefs.

Yep.

I use it on a few forums. Thehfirst one was where hubris was more important than substance, so its stuck.

But, in reality at punting, I suck. Well, especially over the last few years. I alway s had a treble on the weekend for years and years. When i got one it always paid overs, so I guessed I was always in front.

But over the last few years the dividends were rubbish and most imes I was better off backing all up.

I can remember many years ago when 4Tab had the manager of UniTab on every Saturday and one morning they were discussing the pool takes and the Manager said on the annual figures the Treble Pool was down but we all know the rerason for that and the announcer agreed.

Obviously all were in on it but me. Still do not know why, except the dividends are not what they used to be.

Star
Old 29th July 2012, 04:54 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star
4Tab had the manager of UniTab on every Saturday and one morning they were discussing the pool takes and the Manager said on the annual figures the Treble Pool was down but we all know the rerason for that and the announcer agreed.

Star

Tell me the reason so I can know as well
Old 29th July 2012, 05:28 PM

Hi Star.

The way I see it, developing a system or systematic way of doing anything is a convenient way for the human brain to...

1. conserve energy
2. organise and apply thoughts, theories (hunches?)
3. produce desired results or outcomes on a more consistent basis

Whether that be selecting horses to win a race or do the washing up.
What might be a tad more interesting than the above is to get a feel for where your thoughts are on this.
You have indicated the following in your 1st post here, which I find quite interesting..

I have my reasons, as silly as they are, and I am financially better off by going that way ( eg, I am losing less, in a more disciplined manner )

Would be interesting to see you elaborate further on your main reasons for using betting systems or staking plans.

Cheers LG

Last edited by Lord Greystoke : 29th July 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 29th July 2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Greystoke
Hi Star.

The way I see it, developing a system or systematic way of doing anything is a convenient way for the human brain to...

1. conserve energy
2. organise and apply thoughts, theories (hunches?)
3. produce desired results or outcomes on a more consistent basis

Whether that be selecting horses to win a race or do the washing up.
What might be a tad more interesting than the above is to get a feel for where your thoughts are on this.
You have indicated the following in your 1st post here, which I find quite interesting..

Would be interesting to see you elaborate further on your main reasons for using betting systems or staking plans.

Cheers LG

Interesting questions LG. I will take up that opportunity, but it will have to be tomorrow.

Star.
Old 29th July 2012, 06:43 PM

LG has asked me for my reasons for using Systems. What he has actually done is to answer my question with a question. Good tactic.

And, respect to LG who has followed many of my posts closely because at times, I may have confused him with my answers.

Let's just say I have always had an interest in systems. It comes and it goes. When I cam in here a few months ago I was full of hope and some confidence that a little system I had been tweaking was showing some promise.

A search of my posts will show this to be true. It was working well for about five or so months. Then I opened my big fat mouth and put some selections on here and then things went A up.

I then followed with interests many threads and tweaked the system to see if I could reverse the downward trend. Unfortunately to no avail. However, the advantage was, I was doing no real harm to myself because I was only using Sportsbet and they allow a minimum bet of ten cents.

I prefer to use real money then monopoly money. Then it occured to me to see if I could out perform the system bet. While the system was failing badly, my personal selections were going ok even though in races I thought my system pick was a great chance and I selected a saver, I was finding my saver was well and truly outperforming my system.

It was almost like, select a system horse or horses and then forget them and select around them.

This is why possibly some of my posts appear to have made no sense and it might have looked like I was always all over the place.

However, to me, the beauty of System betting is that it still gives me an interest for very little outlay and fortunately I am happy with the eentertainment I get from it.

Random selections, require a lot more discipline and a rush of overconfidence, when the tide is going out can cause some serious damage.

So, to me, Systems have a place. While I would like to say I am successful at it, I cannot, at least, my losses are minimal.

Star
Old 30th July 2012, 11:45 AM

What is the definition of: "SYSTEM", ? !

I no longer use Google btw, due to their "systems", so my search engine was, "other-than-google"

I had a better result using this new system than the old google system, to define the word, "system", for this topic.

http://encyclopedia2.thefreediction...l+system+theory

OK,
but, to get a handle on the many systems out there, I used a system of history/success, past tense.
I wanted to find those who HAVE succeeded as successful punters.

My records found the root source of modern day punters dating back many years, before the use of the computer, how did they succeed, etc etc etc.

One of the best "systematologist" without the use of computers on the day seems to be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_E._Smith_(gambler)
NOTE:
Quote:
Smith's net worth, including real estate and stocks and bonds, was $3,250,000,
Smith died at the sanitarium on February 1, 1905.

-----------
Questions and Considerations
3 million $ from the punt in 1905 = success and/or a successful "system" ?

A:
------------
The book is at most state librarys,
It's little green book, not for loan in most cases, but all you need are the rules/systems or better known as maxims, contained in that book!

Racing maxims and methods of "Pittsburg Phil"

Quote:
Edward R. Cole. Racing maxims and methods of "Pittsburg Phil" (George E. Smith) : complete system as employed by the most successful speculator in the history of the American turf; condensed wisdom of twenty years' experience on the track from the only personal interviews ever given by the famous horseman. 1908. From Kentuckiana Digital Library.