Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 29th May 2007, 10:38 PM

Default Excel Formula Help

Hi

I use MS Excel to analyse form data which I currently manually type into my spreadhseet using Racing and Sports form guide. To try and save on the manual labour I have been trying to "copy and paste" data from various websites to save manual data entry. One of the problems I am coming up against is that certain data (eg: last four starts) gets pasted into a single cell in Excel "3x45" or "1121" etc. Same problem arises with a horses distance record eg: 21 starts for 1 1st and 3 nds and 0 thirds means that 21-1-3-0 appears as a (text string?) in a single cell in Excel.

I need to break this data up into separate cells to run my calculations eg: last four starts would have 1 1 2 1 in four separate cells - but am unclear whether Excel has the funtionality to allow me achieve this?

Has anyone any experience or advice they can provide?

I'd also greatly appreciate any advice from the forum on god sources of electronic form data (Southcoast?) - manual labour is not for me!

Thanks everyone
Old 29th May 2007, 11:31 PM

This should provide all the formulas you need, depemds where you get your form from i get all of mine from TVF free form with last 3 starts this is all added with copy and past, the fields are copied from the webpage and pasted in, the form is copied from the page then pasted to a text document then i import this.

I then use the ratings listed on the page to automaticly rate the runners.
Attached Files
File Type: xls New Ratings.xls (215.0 KB, 4283 views)
Old 21st September 2010, 09:51 AM

I am still having trouble with downloading information from internet to excel for my horseracing information. You said about last three races from TVF. Can you please help me.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:01 AM

You can copy paste the full race information in to a text document then import that to excel, once you have done that you can use formulas to extract the information you need.

At one point i uploaded a sheet to this forum that containd most of the formulas you need, it was an old ratings sheet i was using.

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
Old 21st September 2010, 01:34 PM

Hi Shaun , do you include the weights in your formulas, if so how do you use weights in an effective way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
You can copy paste the full race information in to a text document then import that to excel, once you have done that you can use formulas to extract the information you need.

At one point i uploaded a sheet to this forum that containd most of the formulas you need, it was an old ratings sheet i was using.
Old 21st September 2010, 05:04 PM

I use to include weights but when they increased the minimum weight i found them less effective.

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
Old 21st September 2010, 10:00 AM

Hi Shaun , im having trouble finding the last 3 starts in TVF .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
This should provide all the formulas you need, depemds where you get your form from i get all of mine from TVF free form with last 3 starts this is all added with copy and past, the fields are copied from the webpage and pasted in, the form is copied from the page then pasted to a text document then i import this.

I then use the ratings listed on the page to automaticly rate the runners.
Old 30th May 2007, 06:53 AM

Shaun

Many thanks for providing this info, very much appreciated. Looks exactly what I'm after - stand by for a flurry of posts from me with limitless clarification questions re the formulas/macros!

Thanks again and will let you know how I go. Will also have a look at the VFG data.

Cheers
Old 30th May 2007, 08:56 AM

Np it is easier for me to explain answers when you have the sheet to go by, so fire away when ready.
Old 31st May 2007, 11:52 AM

Hi Shaun,

I'm interested in your rating method. Do you log every race, every day and do you know what your strike rate is long term?

It seems that a horse gets a track and distance score for winning and/or placing. However, a horse with 100% win strike rate doesn't get the place component of the score. The figures; 5 starts for 1 win and 1 place scores better than 3 starts for 3 wins.

Are you copying and pasting manually? This can be automated using the Web Query under Import External Data. If you use the macro recorder and do a Web Query you can see the code that you need.

Cheers