Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 5th December 2013, 10:50 PM

Default Qantas

I was watching something on tv about Qantas losing money and they say the restrictions on foreign ownership would solve this and the reason Virgin are doing better is because they are backed by overseas money.

These guys are cracked, selling off the company will not make it profitable, the only time this will ever work is if a company needs funds to expand to make more profit, if Virgin are profitable maybe they should look at the reasons why or come up with a better solution than sacking people.

They want to sack 1000 people, not sure what the average wage is but lets say 75k that's $75mil they say, well they are down $200 mil in the first quarter so they are looking at a $800mil loss this FY so less than 10% due to wages. i think they need to start looking for the problems not a quick solution that won't solve the problems for them, selling part of the company will do nothing to help them.

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
Old 5th December 2013, 11:27 PM

One of the first lessons I learnt in my job Shaun was to never invest a dime in flight travel companies i.e. Qantas. They have all of the cost pressures but little control over ticketing.

For example fuel prices go up, staffing costs go up, maintenance costs continue to go up, all the while the consumer want prices to go down which is supported by companies like virgin and tiger offering cheap as chips fares.

Pretty sure I read somewhere a while ago that australian pilots are some of the best paid in the world.

Even though I don't follow his work anymore, Roger Montgomery is dead against these sorts of companies and for good reason. Look up his blog and search Qantas on there if you want a better idea of what i'm talking about.
Old 6th December 2013, 10:24 AM
Banned

Lets get out the yardstick and compare:
Singapore Airlines No. 3 in the World. Population 5 mill planes 105
Cathay Pacific No. 6 in the World. Population 7 mill planes 136
Qantas No. 10 in the World. Population 23 mill planes 143

Seems to me some airlines are better at managing their business than others? Both Hong Kong and Singapore have no natural resources whatsoever to contribute to their country's wealth.

About time Irish went and his Board. There is absolutely no reason, with the right leadership, that Qantas couldn't survive and prosper.
Old 6th December 2013, 10:43 AM

I have flown Jetstar West to East and back again, am booked on Qantas at Christmas time, yes costs me more but not that much more, planes are bigger and for all i have read the service is better, Virgin are supposed to be even better.

I think for short haul flights price would win over, have booked return trip Syd to Bris mid jan for $120 my West /East flight is costing me a bit over $500 will have to fly Virgin to compare.

My whole point was that a company needs to make profit to survive, if Virgin can make a profit then so should Qantas unless they are doing something wrong.

I have always been a person that says if i can sell 10 items for $1 and profit but i can sell 15 items for 0.80c i would rather do that, these price wars are great for the customer but in the end if you can't profit then you are just killing yourself off.

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
Old 6th December 2013, 11:24 AM
Banned

If Quantas cant compete with better managed Airlines then they should close it down..

The quality of service on this airline has always been poor so no loss anyway.
Old 6th December 2013, 01:37 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Qantas downgraded to junk status by Standard & Poor's

DateDecember 6, 2013 - 1:14PM

Jamie Freed

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/mark...l#ixzz2mesYGXDZ
Old 6th December 2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
I think for short haul flights price would win over, have booked return trip Syd to Bris mid jan for $120 my West /East flight is costing me a bit over $500 will have to fly Virgin to compare.
I fly to the USA at least twice a year. That's a 12- 14 hour flight. I have travelled on both Qantas and Virgin. Hands down Virgin beats Qantas for leg room, quality of meals, service and running on time.

Considering Qantas is consistently $50 - $200 more then virgin I can see why Qantas is failing compared to Virgin.
Old 6th December 2013, 05:02 PM
Banned

I suppose like me people are demanding better service for our Flying Dollar.
Old 9th December 2013, 03:10 PM

The last 2 boards have done everything they could to wreck this company. Same as what Murdoch and Abeles did to Ansett. Murdoch's last trick was to get Eddington to tell him to sell off the planes and then lease them back, realizing a one year profit. And when Eddington's report came back with what Rupert wanted to hear, thats what Rupert did. Then he sold the carcass to Air New Zealand.

The Irish guy now at Qantas loves to give himself outrageous pay increases. But over the past years he hived off Qantas all he could that actually made a profit for the conmpany. If his job was to kill Qantas by a thousand cuts then what he has done so far makes sense.

BTW, the Sydney-Melbourne route is what the sharks are after. One of the busiest routes in the world.

Qantas should be seen as a strategic asset for Australia. It is already. Next time we have scores of Australians stranded in some disaster/war zone maybe we can go cap in hand to Indonesia to get them out.

When the resources boom goes bust, this place will be a ghost town.

Last edited by Brendon : 9th December 2013 at 03:13 PM.