Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 27th October 2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash
As for 'class', Demott Weld described Grey Swallow as one of the best horses he has ever trained and Lee Freedman rates the horse as in the worlds top 5 [Melb. Age today] and the horse to beat that handles any condt. or tracks.

Miracles do happen though and either horse might win [or anything else in the race too] !

Didn't they say that about Vinnie Rowe?

Your second point is the one that always has me interested in this game, the unbelievable does happen, and more often the unthinkable

As for stats, you know I love 'em, but I think when comparing past winners of "a race" they have to go out the window to some extent.

Should be an great spectacle whatever the outcome, I'm really looking forward to this year for some reason, it has a lot of different elements which will duly unfold.
*RaceCensus now updated to 30/04/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg

Last edited by Chrome Prince : 27th October 2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old 27th October 2006, 05:04 PM
Suspended.

Smile

I certainly won't be leaving FOO out of my trifecta. He has been trained JUST for this race this prep. and will peak tomorrow for sure. If he can pull this off as a 9yr. old ... what a horse!

Gotta love this comment [you know from where] :-)

-Chaff Bandits Day Out-
"Have a look at the Cox Plate day fields tomorrow at Moonee Valley and you’d need a glue factory train to take the slow ones away".

Concerning one race:

''.......The race is so bad you should watch out the corner of your eye for the ambulance, or the Clerk of the Course’s 20-year-old grey to fly home and run a place. Surely to God they can get a better bunch of bandits than that, when $300,000 is up for grabs". :-))

Last edited by crash : 27th October 2006 at 05:18 PM.
Old 27th October 2006, 05:12 PM
Banned

IMO what is going to make this yrs cox plate a great race is the fact that you could argue a point for any horse in the field. There is no standout certainty. Last yr you had to ask which of these horses could beat the diva, and going through the form and the race list you couldnt have come up with many. Im really looking forward to this race tomorrow, there might not be an out and out champion jumping from the gates at 3.30, but i bet there will be as whichever horse crosses the line first.
Old 27th October 2006, 05:21 PM

I'll be ecstatic if he pulls a placing, which I think he can. If he wins, I'll be off on holidays for a while
Old 27th October 2006, 05:24 PM
Suspended.

Smile

How about this one:

"On the Cox Plate I find it amazing how some people actually believe that Miss Finland can win. I give her no hope of winning as per my recent article of 19/10/06 entitled “Miss Finland wouldn’t win a Cox Plate if she started now”. How so may supposedly learned people can read her so wrongly is beyond belief. They all said what a great win it was the other day in the Thousand Guineas. What a lot of rot, because except for a short half head, she’d have a 100% success rate at failure in three tries at 1600 metres. She cannot run 1600 metres this filly, so how the hell can she run 2040 metres against all age horses? Now let me ask all the experts who are tipping her one question. She beat Permaiscuous by one inch the other day and she got run down over 1600 by She Will Be Loved the start before and before that she beat stablemate Anamato a neck in the Tranquil Star Stakes. Now would anyone fancy backing any of Permaiscuous, She Will Be Loved or Anamato to win a Cox Plate? No, even the mob at Nimbin don’t get that high during a normal day"!
Old 27th October 2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORSE WHISPERER
IMO what is going to make this yrs cox plate a great race is the fact that you could argue a point for any horse in the field. There is no standout certainty. Last yr you had to ask which of these horses could beat the diva, and going through the form and the race list you couldnt have come up with many. Im really looking forward to this race tomorrow, there might not be an out and out champion jumping from the gates at 3.30, but i bet there will be as whichever horse crosses the line first.

I'm with you Horse Whisperer, it has the excitement element of anticipation.

As for champion, Racing To Win hasn't done much wrong, Miss Finland has come up the year after winning the big one, which is quite rare, and El Segundo has been proved vulnerable. I lean towards RTW as the future standout.

If Miss Finland pulls it off, she will amaze me beyond belief.
Old 27th October 2006, 05:34 PM
Suspended.

Smile

"AQUA D’AMORE
Enigmatic mare who can look like Phar Lap or Radish. Last week and the start before she looked like Phar Lap, so tomorrow by the law of averages she’ll probably look like Radish".
Old 27th October 2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash
How about this one:

"On the Cox Plate I find it amazing how some people actually believe that Miss Finland can win. I give her no hope of winning as per my recent article of 19/10/06 entitled “Miss Finland wouldn’t win a Cox Plate if she started now”. How so may supposedly learned people can read her so wrongly is beyond belief. They all said what a great win it was the other day in the Thousand Guineas. What a lot of rot, because except for a short half head, she’d have a 100% success rate at failure in three tries at 1600 metres. She cannot run 1600 metres this filly, so how the hell can she run 2040 metres against all age horses? Now let me ask all the experts who are tipping her one question. She beat Permaiscuous by one inch the other day and she got run down over 1600 by She Will Be Loved the start before and before that she beat stablemate Anamato a neck in the Tranquil Star Stakes. Now would anyone fancy backing any of Permaiscuous, She Will Be Loved or Anamato to win a Cox Plate? No, even the mob at Nimbin don’t get that high during a normal day"!

G'day again crash,

Not saying I disagree with the author, but I think his argument does have some flawed logic.

1. A short half head makes all the difference, ask the jockey of any champion horse, especially the likes of Octagonal or Northerly.

2. She's won at 1600m, does that mean she can't run out 2040m?
We don't know, I doubt it too, but we don't know.
She can run 1600m - she won!

3. Leave the folks at Nimbim out of this, I think the authors been picking mushrooms
It doesn't matter what ran second to her, it's not what she beat - it's what ran behind her - there's an important difference in terminology and assessment. What matters is the class and distance of the race.

But I still don't think she will run a place, just pointing out some weird logic.

Added: What does worry me is that she's never raced at the Valley for starters.
Also she had two tries at 1600m and won one of them as a 3yo, and lost by less than a length as a 2yo filly. The other 1600m trip was actually 1610m and she was beaten less than a length - 10m = ???

So three starts at 1600m (if ya like), and not ran worse than 0.8L of a length from the winner. To say she can't run 1600m is ridiculous. :P

Last edited by Chrome Prince : 27th October 2006 at 05:46 PM.
Old 27th October 2006, 05:50 PM
Suspended.

I'm not going into bat for the Author.
His arguments are often full of holes [I remember him bagging 5 horses in 5 races at Bris. one day and 4 of them won and the 5th. just missed by a nose!]. Personally. I think when it comes to picking winners he is as bad [worse] as the rest of us. The guy is a good read though.

I just like the banter.
His Letter of Apology from the Prime Minister of Aust. to the NZ Prime Minister for bringing Linda Cropp over here to ride Miss Finland is a bottler and worth reading [click on his link] !

Last edited by crash : 27th October 2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 27th October 2006, 05:55 PM

LOL I love it!