Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 23rd April 2012, 09:23 AM

Smile Where horses race in the run

Is anyone else "sick and tired" of backing horses that race back in the field, especially at shortish odds, and continually run into trouble?

I am changing my punting to only support horses that lead or race handy to the pace. I think long term this is a "smart" approach. Just look at Gai Waterhouse's horses they are always fit and race on the pace or handy and Gai is having great success and you are always in with a chance.

Any thoughts?
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:34 AM

Have lost count on the number of longshots when they get up that lead (or near lead) in their race
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:40 AM
Vortech

I think sometimes jockeys get nervous about wide gates and not wanting to be 3-4 wide the trip, slot in the back in hope that there is some speed in the race.
If the pace is moderate, the backmarkers have no hope and a good example of a jockey taking them on was Nolan - Thy. Made a move and picked up a place
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:47 PM

If your horse is a get back type, it'll need serious gears to overtake the field, a great ride, or a hot speed up front.

Two horses that spring to mind as back markers are Ofcourseican and Happy Trails. Strings of places while consistently rifling off sensational sectionals can be frustrating. Ofcourseican finally got the biscuits with two in a row, however you need immense faith to stay with them.

Backing the genuine city class Waterhouse horses is a good way to go. Her provincial horses with little exposed form are often over bet.

There has been some lovely prices in recent weeks on Niagara, Fast Clip, Pierro and MJ.

The Schmile

"I buy when other people are selling.”
― J. Paul Getty
Old 23rd April 2012, 02:05 PM

Pace of the race & the stuff between the jockeys ears are more of a concern to me than positioning during the run as a smart jockey will make his own luck & be able to read when to push his mount forward when they start dawdling up front (bit of a concern though how many jockeys dont seem to be able to judge pace well)
Old 23rd April 2012, 03:29 PM

Smile

Recently there has been too many favoured horse drawn wide where it has dropped out near last and the jockey has ridden for luck up on the fence or through the field. Unless the field fans out they end up running into slow conveyances and your money is done cold.

The fields seem to fan out more in Sydney than they do in Melbourne which gives you some chance but unless you are an Atlantic Jewel, where you have lengths on the rest of the field, you are in trouble most times.

Well drawn, handy racing horses for me!
Old 23rd April 2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try Try Again
Recently there has been too many favoured horse drawn wide where it has dropped out near last and the jockey has ridden for luck up on the fence or through the field. Unless the field fans out they end up running into slow conveyances and your money is done cold.

The fields seem to fan out more in Sydney than they do in Melbourne which gives you some chance but unless you are an Atlantic Jewel, where you have lengths on the rest of the field, you are in trouble most times.

Well drawn, handy racing horses for me!
I look at the horses "Pace Type" and only consider those that either sit on the pace (not usually a leader) or those that race just off the pace, the rest I can not trust.

Leaders, often weaken and anything further back than mid field have to rely on things other than ability to go their way.

I prefer horses that make their own "luck"...

Then, it's price is next most important... usually nothing under $3
Old 23rd April 2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix
I look at the horses "Pace Type" and only consider those that either sit on the pace (not usually a leader) or those that race just off the pace, the rest I can not trust.

Then, it's price is next most important... usually nothing under $3

Is there anywhere one can look for a quick run down (ha ha) of these types of horses? Somewhere that you can see at a glance rather than trawling through form guides, etc.

― Earl Nightingale
Old 23rd April 2012, 04:35 PM

Smile R&S

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ocho
Is there anywhere one can look for a quick run down (ha ha) of these types of horses? Somewhere that you can see at a glance rather than trawling through form guides, etc.

Surely the Racing and Sports Speed Map is the way to go The Ocho?
Old 23rd April 2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOBETS
Surely the Racing and Sports Speed Map is the way to go The Ocho?

Ha Ha, That looks good. I hadn't seen that before. ops:

― Earl Nightingale