Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 17th June 2006, 08:38 AM

Wink For all who love their computers

Subject: : FOR ALL WHO LOVE THEIR COMPUTERS

For all of us who feel only the deepest love and affection for the way computers have enhanced our lives, read on. At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon." In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: "If GM had developed technology like! Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics (and I just love this part):

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.
2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.
3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.
4. Occasionally, executing a manoeuvre such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.
5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive -- but would run on only five percent of the roads.
6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.
7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.
8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle,turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.
9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.
10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.

Please share this with your friends who love - but sometimes hate - their computer
Old 17th June 2006, 09:11 AM

Wink

But GM should not forget that cars have been with us for about 100 years so there should'nt be too many hiccups with them, whilst computers are still in the "infancy" stage.

I love my computer but not when it has its mood swings and won't talk to me.
Old 17th June 2006, 01:00 PM

That's just GOLD!

I work in the computer industry, so Bill's stuff ups keep me in work, BUT:

I think that there should be legislation in place like the ADFIA, whereby products have to be approved after extensive trials.

My feeling is that it will never happen, but they would never dream of selling a car or plane that is faulty and then providing a Service Pack

Spreadsheet program corrupts / crashes
Email client corrupts / crashes
Computer relies on a boot partition or sector, which, if infected, wipes the drive clean.
Browser easily hijacked
Operating system "erodes" over time, files go missing, deleted.
etc etc etc.
When installing the operating system, you need to install it on each computer connected, you cannot install it on five drives and plug each one into a computer - computer won't start because of drivers. Real pain for industry workers.
If you change your system board, you need to reinstall or repair windows.
They want you to put system repair on 15 floppies LOL.

I could go on, but it's getting boring.

There's no point going to the "other" system or the "free" system because there's not much software that works on them that people need, unless it's a hobby or graphics computer.

Wake up MS!
*RaceCensus now updated to 30/04/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg

Last edited by Chrome Prince : 17th June 2006 at 01:18 PM.