Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 21st May 2012, 10:35 AM

My personal opinion is that everyone is entitled to post what they feel is value.
However, I feel it is pointless to constantly post rules without any proper results or just including the results of a weekend or a day.

If anything is any good, surely it is obvious that people would have the outlay and return figures as a minimum.
My guess is that you'd have more luck plucking a rabbit out of a hat.

It's a free country, but I only take note of methods posted like michaelg where the profit and loss is stated. It means he is following it seriously.

It's quite different to discuss angles and strategies, even possibilities, another to post rules with no stats whatsoever.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/03/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 21st May 2012, 10:43 AM

Bernie, my best systems were tested using nearly 6 years of old herald suns. one tends to become tired after a while, and with the odd one missing, the results weren't conclusive.

I now have a database which i believe to be accurate because all the horses that should be there with my systems, are there. If I can offer an insight into what I think is the best way to develop a system;

It needs to be logical with as few rules as possible.

There must be a nexus between all your rules !!!!! (This is my No. 1)

There is no point having rules that are similar. all this does is cut the bets down and doesn't do anything for the POT in a lot of cases.

Concentrate on doing the opposite of the herd without being too silly.

I have noticed that good form produces winners, BUT, there are quite a few horses in each race that would qualitfy as having good form.

Everyone says look outside the square and I believe it to be true for the simple reason you're going to get a better price.

A system needs to have a decent Win S/R or it's chances of having that muderous run of outs are very good.

I cannot make a 7 day LSW work, nor can I make a topweight system work ..... but I have several methods that show a really good POT. My systems allow only a few bets each month so to make wages I would need to put on far too much money for my liking. So it's a fun thing ATM. There are systems out there that work and show a decent POT, I'm sure of that.

A couple of strong filters which improve systems include "career starts of 8...21" courtesy of sarge1 and only betting "Metropolitan" races. The class of a horse (which I've poo-poo'd many times) is paramount to a successful system.

good luck
Old 21st May 2012, 10:52 AM

Dont know who to attribute this statement to but someone posted along these lines ......... All form is relative. Any horse can handle the going, the distance the course and run time, it all depends on the class of the race as to whether it wins or not.

I thought you only found the class of a horse when it was too late. There maybe some truth to that statement, BUT, finding the class horse, whcih is race fit, gets many winners. I'ts turned my thinking 180degrees. I now have two systems based around Ave Prizemoney. SP is also a good filter.
Old 21st May 2012, 11:02 AM

Top of my useless filters is recognition of Top Place Percentage. Many will disagree, but my testing proves it to be a nonsense.

Next useless is weight.
Old 21st May 2012, 11:08 AM

Hi Chrome Prince,

While I respect your opinion greatly, I disagree with your last post.

Darkydog makes no guarantees that the ideas/systems work. I see them as a starting point for a method, or perhaps a different angle that you maybe hadn't previously investigated.

I agree Michaelg's posts are fantastic, however they often evolve as he goes along and jump from lay ideas to win bets and vice versa, which is his prerogative as they are his posts.

I'm all for posting any idea no matter how bent! What I don't like is the badgering and mean spirited posts that pop up from time to time with no constructive criticism within. (I'm not including you in this group CP)

Can I ask that we please stick to the main goal of making a profit through the sharing of ideas and keep the personal jibes to the 'real world'??!!

The Schmile

"I buy when other people are selling.”
― J. Paul Getty
Old 21st May 2012, 11:21 AM

theschmille, that system that i put up of bhagwans is from 2001 and he's still banging on about the top 2 in the tipsters poll.

this forum has lost some very insightful posters over the years, and we end up with some regurgitating ratings and top tipsters.

i might start laying the top 2 tipsters thingy coz i believe it to be a loser .........
Old 21st May 2012, 11:21 AM

Fair enough, I agree that we don't want to hinder sharing, nor promote attacks.

Perhaps others are getting something worthwhile from the posts, but I do understand why it provokes some responses.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/03/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 21st May 2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barny
theschmille, that system that i put up of bhagwans is from 2001 and he's still banging on about the top 2 in the tipsters poll.

this forum has lost some very insightful posters over the years, and we end up with some regurgitating ratings and top tipsters.

i might start laying the top 2 tipsters thingy coz i believe it to be a loser .........

Hi Barny,

Fair play matey.

Could you post some stats though to back up your argument that it's a loser? I'm also reasonably confident the top 2 would lose over all races, however the last system seemed to focus on small fields of 7 or 8, backing the longest priced horse or 90 units and the shorter one for 60 which had positive feedback from a couple of forumites.

The Schmile

― J. Paul Getty
Old 21st May 2012, 11:29 AM
Banned

Smile

TheSchmile,
Well said.

I put COMMONSENSE RULES that are a starting point.
They are few in number and based on Professional Form Handicapping.

Some of these whingers have absolutely no idea .

My advice to them is "If you know nothing keep it to yourself"
That may just be the reason that they never present anything positive.

Cheers
darky
Old 21st May 2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Prince
Fair enough, I agree that we don't want to hinder sharing, nor promote attacks.

Perhaps others are getting something worthwhile from the posts, but I do understand why it provokes some responses.

Hi Chrome Prince,

My advice would be not to read posts from that user if you dislike their posts. My main gripe is with folks that offer no ideas or positive feedback, wait in the wings and then have a go at people for simply offering up a theory.

Each to their own, however I'm not into unprevoked bullying or aggressive behaviour of any kind.

The Schmile

― J. Paul Getty