Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 13th February 2007, 09:20 AM

I think you'd have to pick your races though. The 4/1 the field type race maybe where you've got a higher chance trading outside the top two in the market. Thoughts?

I seldom trade though. I'm really just thinking aloud.
Old 14th February 2007, 07:31 AM
Suspended.

Well I've decide to stop stuffing around and open a Betfair account on Friday. Time to finally dive in and check the action.

I think the best method for me might be to just do what I normally do and back my own handicapped selections for the win at the best price I can get.

Later on when I'm more used to the site and have a better idea of how thing are, I might try laying some horses that I've handicapped to lose and back them to win as well for a smaller amount so I'm not too exposed. I'll leave arbitrage betting to much later if If I think that style of betting suits.

Any advice is most welcome.
Old 14th February 2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash
Well I've decide to stop stuffing around and open a Betfair account on Friday. Time to finally dive in and check the action.

Crash

Welcome aboard. Let us know after you make the first "newbies" mistake. The most common one I think is to select the wrong side of the market so you end up laying instead of backing. It's worth having the "Verify Bets" box ticked until you get used to it.

Pixie
Old 14th February 2007, 10:22 AM
Suspended.

Smile

Thanks for that advice mate and Oh, I'm sure I'll make plenty of 'newbie' mistakes [I'll keep my bets small to start with]. Still, at my age it'll be nice to feel like a virgin again!
Old 14th February 2007, 11:42 AM

Good luck with it crash, also be aware it is very easy to select the wrong market (place instead of win) they are directly underneath eachother and it's easy for the mouse to slip.

There's no doubt when you first start comparing and looking at BF odds, you'll think it's money for jam. You'll also become aware that the better odds you get, the more they lose, the worst over you get, will win - in the scheme of things.

Betfair market is far more accurate than any other betting medium.

Just yesterday, I had a bit of fun backing the worst prices I could get on horses and laying those that blew in the market. Often the prices were just above or worse than TAB prices.

I made a very nice return for the day

Another tip, you have to manually refresh your balance by clicking the icon, it won't auto refresh.
And also there are two "wallets"
You have to transfer money to your AUS wallet to bet on our racing. Hit the transfer button and input the amount, it will happen within a few seconds.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/03/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 14th February 2007, 12:32 PM
Suspended.

I've just finished opening an account Chrome. The 'wallets' had me thinking 'Oh great, put money in and I can't bet on Oz races!'. I finally worked out the 'transfer' business.
Now I can't download the form I need to complete and send away to be able to withdraw money [typical]. All I get is a blank page and no form download[?]

For my betting setup I could use the Brake's PC which is next to mine and have it on the Stab site prices and mine on Betfair so I can compare prices live. Is that a worthwhile setup or a waste of time?
Old 14th February 2007, 12:51 PM

This will be fun, Crash....especially when you start to try the lay side. Enjoy...and good luck.

No need for the two computers. Racing and Sports have "Live Odds" for all the TABs and Betfair ---- and its free!
Old 14th February 2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Still, at my age it'll be nice to feel like a virgin again!
There's nothing like being a "Born Again Virgin"

Quote:
For my betting setup I could use the Brake's PC which is next to mine and have it on the Stab site prices and mine on Betfair so I can compare prices live. Is that a worthwhile setup or a waste of time?
I think it's worthwhile. I have been doing the same thing but with different windows in the Avant browser instead of different monitors. Think you were an Avant fan at one stage.

There is also the Betfair Advantage Tool which does something kinda similar. It's a download on the Betfair site.

Or the "Liveodds" beta on the Racing and Sports site. It's a bit buggy though.

Pix
Old 14th February 2007, 01:31 PM
Suspended.

I still use Avant browser which is the best and fastest browser around as far as I'm concerned.

Derrrrrrrr [brain cells coming to life], I guess I can also use 2 windows in my Avant.
Old 14th February 2007, 02:01 PM
Suspended.

All a bit weird.
Looked at 2 races [3 and 5 at Sandown] and lousy odds on offer. Everyone seems to be trying to lay maybe[?]

R3 Bowhunter $11.20 Stab / Betfair $8
r5 Prince Juene $5.90 Stab / Betfair $4

I watched Bowhunter go $9 then $2 then $8 [?]

Had a couple of $6 bets on each just to kick off. What the hell.