Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 27th February 2008, 08:06 PM
Suspended. Invalid e-mail address.

Do you guys just bet the win? Is betting the win more profitable long term? ...or do you guys bet each way? Which will give us the more profit long term.
Old 27th February 2008, 09:37 PM

Smile Win or Place? That is the question.

Hi Mr Q. For me I would have thought it depends on the system.

Personally I have a place system that has a ridiculously high SR with very average dividend averages. While this doesn't have the better POT compaired to my best win system, it is still where I place my serious dosh because I'm more comfortable without the ups and downs.

IMHO.
Old 28th February 2008, 12:58 AM

Mr Quaddie, mmmmm, really into in dividual preferences here, see the "win" side of things tends to come out OVER TIME with a better POT, but on the downside is the regular runs of outs (which is what I was trying to coax some comment about in the other post) BUT with the place betting is the regular payouts x smaller POT.

Horses for courses as they say, in my case I HATE TO LOSE, so place betting is for me, take today as an example

PR3-5 Loser, PR 6-6 $4.30 w $1.80 p, PR7-10 placed $1.70c, so on the day + 50c (16.66%) that to me is excellent business, but IF I'd bet for the win =+ $1.30 (43.33%) but that is just one day.

When the horse wins it doesn't bother me at all, I just think in terms of THAT is a place!
Old 28th February 2008, 07:11 AM

Alchemy is the art of turning base metal into gold.No-one has ever managed to pull it off.

We are attempting to predict a future outcome with some extremely limited information.Even people with unlimited cash,the ability to buy the most brilliant mathematicians,programmers etc etc, and access to the best information fail in the long term.

This should be telling us that punting is a fun hobby,and like most hobbies will cost a few $$$$.Take it seriously and we are heading for financial disaster.

The number of forumites who conclude their posts with the words "good luck" (including myself) have inadvertantly hit the nail on the head.

Good Luck.
Old 28th February 2008, 12:13 PM

syllabus23, the game of course is stacked against the player, you know like the Pokie Machine that displays a sign saying "This machine pays out a minimum of 85%" really means "over time this machine is set to take 15c from every dollar that goes through it"
But of course it's possible for one person to walk past the machine put in 1$ and hit the jackpot, someone wins Lotto every single week!

There has always been "professional punters" few enough % for the game to continue, but still a lot in numbers. Very astute people, or very lucky people, but who was it that said "The harder I work at it the luckier I get"?
Old 28th February 2008, 04:10 PM
Banned

ive know several people over the years that would disagree with you comments syllabus23,

if one expects to front up & find that magic system well you'll get bitten

put the effort in & results can start to swing your way & that really becomes the start of the journey

plenty areas of life we find 'impossible' & as long as we believe that it will be true
Old 28th February 2008, 04:41 PM
Suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syllabus23
Alchemy is the art of turning base metal into gold.No-one has ever managed to pull it off.

We are attempting to predict a future outcome with some extremely limited information.Even people with unlimited cash,the ability to buy the most brilliant mathematicians,programmers etc etc, and access to the best information fail in the long term.

This should be telling us that punting is a fun hobby,and like most hobbies will cost a few $$$$.Take it seriously and we are heading for financial disaster.

The number of forumites who conclude their posts with the words "good luck" (including myself) have inadvertantly hit the nail on the head.

Good Luck.

I'm with you mate. 5,673 bits of info. needed to make a correct technical punt. Very few bits of info. available!

Place versus win? It's obviously in the odds. Win bet wins every time over time.

Punting is a good hobby and heaps of fun. If you want to make money there are plenty of places to do it besides punting. Even Bank term deposits will do better than punting!

What punting does offer is the chance of winning to those who have no capital for other options [bit like Tatslotto] and for real ************, a place to wash money!

Good Luck.

Last edited by crash : 28th February 2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 29th February 2008, 07:58 AM

"if one expects to front up & find that magic system well you'll get bitten"....

Hmm I dont recall saying anything like that.

I do know that in average fields almost any punter can reduce the chances down to five horses.The part which brings 99.9% of us unstuck is consistently reducing those five down to one,

I'm not suggesting that it's impossible.Clearly the long term contributers to this forum (disregarding the entrepreneurs marketing their various products) do it often enough to stay in the game without developing a gambling problem.

Prior to EI I attended on average three race meetings a week.Now that the EI problem appears to have been resolved I'm looking forward to resuming my hobby (which is horse racing as opposed to gambling).Over the years I have made many racing friends from bookies, trainers, various connections etc.The ones who depart the scene are (predictably) the ones who thought that they could make gambling pay.In the long term they dont.

I see too many desperates both in real life and forumites who appear and disappear overnight to enter that topic.

Good Luck.
Old 29th February 2008, 08:18 AM
Suspended.

Smile

In [almost] 40yrs of punting I could never make a wage out of it either. I've been in it for the enjoyment and it's been GRAND!

The get rich quick kids just come and go because they love money, not the sport and the biggest problem of picking a winner consistently [for them], lies between the chair and the form-guide. The rest of us know inconsistency is consistent with the sport :-)
Old 29th February 2008, 02:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by syllabus23
"if one expects to front up & find that magic system well you'll get bitten"....

Hmm I dont recall saying anything like that.

probably because i never suggested you did...

there is however a level of negativity that regularly exudes from this place that is quite tiresome