Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 15th November 2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelg
Lighthuman2012,

I used to have a calculator where the Win prices of the three placegetters would be inputted, and the true trifecta divvy (it included the TAB 20% take-out) would then be calculated.

It soon became very obvious that the shorter the fave then the smaller the TAB trifecta divvy when compared to the true divvy. This was at its worst when the fave won the race, not too bad when it ran second, and was more or less what was expected when it ran third.

According to the calculator, even if one priced a $3 horse at even-money, it would in the long run pay less than what was expected, even though it might be profitable at Win betting depending on the accuracy of the ratings..

michaelg,

Of course you are going to have flucuations in the trifecta div comparing it to the prices of the win pool. But if you are only using value selections as "standouts" in your exoctic bets, then you will win long-term no matter the price. But then again if you are using the wrong combination formula it won't work either.

If you don't want to deal with low divs, then don't bet in the races where your value selection is still the short price fav. Why take it out altogether and still bet if it is your top rater and value? There is no logic to that.
Old 15th November 2010, 07:43 PM

Wink

Don Scott in his later years bet his overlays in trifectas, but unfortunately he lost.

If he had a trifecta calculator similar to mine he would most likely have discovered that much too often the fave was good value in Win betting but of little value in Trifectas.

According to my calculator this applied to all faves, but more so with the shorter ones.

Maybe people generally feel uncomfortable omitting the fave from trifectas. I would not be surprised if this also applied to F. Fours.

Last edited by michaelg : 15th November 2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 15th November 2010, 07:44 PM
Banned

Smile

Ah Michaelg,
I can but try eh.The prices were good but alas.
Cheers
darky
Old 15th November 2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthuman2010
Then he would have been a perfect fit for this forum.

I'm wondering if there is a point to your posts other than ridiculing the punters on this forum in general and darky in particular?

If I'm wrong I apologise, sorry!

Last edited by lomaca : 15th November 2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 15th November 2010, 09:19 PM

Wink

Lighthuman2010,

I don't rate horses but even if I did, I would automatically remove the fave from winning and running second in Trifectas even if it was "overs".

It is not common sense to assume that because a horse is value in Win betting that it also is automatically value in Trifecta betting, because with the fave more often than not it turns out to be poor value.

As I previously said, if Don Scott had my calculator he would have sooner or later realised this.

I dont think I have been explaining myself very clearly because you say "if you think removing your top rated value selection from your exotics..." I am not recommending removing the top rated value selection - what I am recommending is removing the favourite.

Last edited by michaelg : 15th November 2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 15th November 2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomaca
I'm wondering if there is a point to your posts other than ridiculing the punters on this forum in general and darky in particular?

If I'm wrong I apologise, sorry!

lomaca,

I accept your apology, yes you are wrong.

Have a read of my posts. You will find nothing but sound logical advice that will help you succeed. Then compare my posts to the other person you are talking about and look at the difference.

But thanks for asking. Much better to do it this way rather than complaining to admin. Easier to clear the air when we all communicate like adults.
Old 15th November 2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I dont think I have been explaining myself very clearly because you say "if you think removing your top rated value selection from your exotics..." I am not recommending removing the top rated value selection - what I am recommending is removing the favourite.

But only just a few lines above you said:

Quote:
I don't rate horses but even if I did, I would automatically remove the fave from winning and running second in Trifectas even if it was "overs"..

But if the top rated value selection is the fav, will you remove it?

According to what you have said above, yes you will. And that makes no logical sense at all.
Old 15th November 2010, 10:13 PM

Wink

Yes, I will remove the fave.

Yes, it makes no logical sense. But when my calculator proves over hundreds (maybe thousands) of races that faves are continually very poor value in Trifectas, then to remove them from running first and second does make logical sense.
Old 15th November 2010, 10:35 PM

Lighthuman2010 your suspension has been increased to one month following moderation of another post critical of this Forum. We suggest you might like to find a Forum where the members meet the punting standards you require.
Old 16th November 2010, 12:43 PM
Banned

Smile

Whats your thoughts on R7 At Ballina.

Cheers,
darky