Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 2nd July 2012, 01:20 PM
Vortech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barny
So Vortech, if I've got your message clearly, your saying we need to identify variables that are clearly DEPENDANT, a bit like Rules, and Sub-Sets of Rules etc, all intemimgled with each other ?? That flies in the face of "going against the crowd".
It depends on the context in one uses the variables. An independent variables maybe a predictor variables or a controlled variable maybe even an maniupluated variable or exposure valiable.

I'm starting my base around bet selector base ratings and then incorporating weight ratings, class ratings, and speed ratings.

If this is "going against the crowd" then yes I am.

I don't understand the point you are trying to raise here?
I have clearly identified and stated I'm testing my ratings system here so I'm not saying it will work or not work. I am telling everyone my theory behind the rules and open for suggestions. Instead you tell me I'm going against the crowd.

Sorry maybe I should pay more attention to backing horses on a Sunday called "Frisky No More" or even more stating Unleashing the Vortech Beast!!

Last edited by Vortech : 2nd July 2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 2nd July 2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortech
It depends on the context in one uses the variables. An independent variables maybe a predictor variables or a controlled variable maybe even an maniupluated variable or exposure valiable.

For the life of me I cannot understand what it is you're trying to communicate. I'm desperately interested because it's an area I'm close to getting to my ideal situation, and have a keen interest in !!!
Old 2nd July 2012, 02:12 PM

Would you give examples of what you're referring to please ?

Predictor Variable, Controlled Variable, Manipulated Variable & Exposure Variable
Old 2nd July 2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Would you give examples of what you're referring to please ?

Predictor Variable, Controlled Variable, Manipulated Variable & Exposure Variable

Barny, I believe they are different names for what are essentially independant variables. Depends on the science or discipline (Vortech's context I think).

In a nutshell, a dependant variable is derived from one or more independant variables. In a racing context the independant variables barrier draw, days since last start, track condition etc. combine to make the dependant variable, finishing position.
Old 2nd July 2012, 02:54 PM

Thanks, almost getting too scientific for me.

It never ends does it ?
Old 2nd July 2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks, almost getting too scientific for me.

It never ends does it ?

You guys are out of my league, I might have to put Frisky in my Black Book. This forum is really heavy going.

But full marks to Vortech, Maythehorsebewithyou.

Star
Old 2nd July 2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
AngryPixie– “There's dozens and dozens, even hundreds of potential variables you could measure, most of which aren't independant so in using them you're in fact doubling up on your measurements.”

I agree with this 100% and this is the reason i say if you have any more than 12 filters in your ratings you are wasting your time unless these filters are totally different from each other.

The main problem is deciding what filters contradict each other, most people use the main filters but as mentioned the unitab ratings takes in to account some of these filters as does price because this has been assessed using similar filters.

The real difference is the way we asses say the last run how important do you regard the beaten margin and is it more important than the beaten margin of the run before that.

The same can be said about the other filters you use, some put a lot of importance in prize money won in the last 12 months where others will use a lifetime avg or maybe a race avg.

this is what makes your ratings different from others because with the amount and ease of access to information these days it is hard to find a new filter that has not already been used.

I like to use PPP and unitab ratings as a guide, it tells me that the rating i have given a runner is reasonably accurate as the best guide to a horses chances is it's price.

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
Old 2nd July 2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star
You guys are out of my league, I might have to put Frisky in my Black Book. This forum is really heavy going.

But full marks to Vortech, Maythehorsebewithyou.

Star

Star, if you can understand what Vortech was saying them you're much better than me old chum !!!
Old 2nd July 2012, 08:01 PM
Vortech

The best place to start reading is from the first page of this forum.
Takes nearly a year to read it all but you'll learn everything you need to know.

Ratings as I understood came about from Don Scott who one day was on his way to church and got on the wrong line. Ended up at the track.
From there he built a passion for the races and developed a method to measure horses that were winning in lower grades vs horses in other grades.

A little like Greater Western Sydney in the AFL playing the coming second last playing a top side in the VFL.

Further from that others have developed more ratings systems based on different variables.

Class ratings use variables to determine the best class horse in a certain race
Weight ratings like the ZipForm from the sportsman develop the horses with the measure of how the horse's weight compares to its current official rating.

And so on and so on.

Other ratings like newspapers and unitab I assume take all of these figures into consideration and develop one rating.

Barny by using your database you should run the entire database if your PC can handle it and start filtering your results into categories.
Do a search on William Benter and how he developed his variables.
Sometimes its easier to focus on one track.
I'm considering basing new rules and variable points around different venues/distances.

Good luck
Old 2nd July 2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortech
The best place to start reading is from the first page of this forum. Takes nearly a year to read it all but you'll learn everything you need to know.

To Star, it's EXACTLY what I've suggested in MANY of MY posts, I've actually done it ..... an enjoyable pursuit and you'll learn heaps. This site is brilliant for information, but you have to read, sort, catalogue, and keep many posts.

It's simply brilliant.

If you're not up to the task, then you're not up to exploring the vagaries of the punt, and IMHO you're destined to be a losing punter. Like anything in life .....

"The harder you work the luuckier you get" ..... Gary Player

No-one can explain it in one post .....